Register to Comment
Page 55 of 322 FirstFirst ... 5 455354555657 65 105 155 ... LastLast
Like Tree1320Likes

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    A lot of cyclists are great at making excuses for other cyclists who behave recklessly.
    Kindly point out in which post on cycling that I have made a single excuse for other's behaviour.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Why do cyclists not have bells on their bikes anymore? I live in an area where we have great pedesterian walks which is also used by cyclists, they cycle as if they have priority, they do not slow down, or use a bell to inform pedesterians they are behind and rather than slow down they cross on to the grass verge at the same speed, which results in them losing control of their bikes and usually landing on the grass with a bang.

I love cycling but I am astonished at the ignorance and total lack of respect and safety of cyclists that use pedesterian walks towards people walking with their children or their pets. It's quite astonishing! Do they not realise they can be sued if by this behaviour they cause injury? Kinda reminds me of the saying " Where are you going with no bell on yer bike"

So all you cyclists out there, slow down when you are using pedesterian walkways, and get a bloody bell on your bike, if you don't have a bell then use your voice!

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    Kindly point out in which post on cycling that I have made a single excuse for other's behaviour.
    I said "a lot", not all. I wasn't referring to you at all.

The roads near your apartment building seem to see an enormous amount of cycling accidents, don't they Tommy?

It's a bit of a "black spot" for cyclists.

Quote Originally Posted by Heligoland View Post
    The roads near your apartment building seem to see an enormous amount of cycling accidents, don't they Tommy?

It's a bit of a "black spot" for cyclists.
    No it doesnt. But it is at a dangerous junction on a dual carriageway and the cycle lane on the footpath is woefully built. It is breaking up. I have lived there 5 years and seen i think three accidents. One was caused by an idiot cycling through a red light - what sort of fool goes through a red light on a dual carriageway? The other two were caused by the cycle lane. I hope the two people in those cases sue the bejaysus out of the council. That might force it to fix it. People are left with a choice of cycling on a busy dual carriageway or on a cycle lane that is falling to bits and isnt safe to ride on. They also is a problem at the building entrance. Cyclists and drivers cant see each other because the entrance is at an angle. They might need lights or something to tell cyclists to stop and a car to drive out or vice versa. There is no joined up thinking in evidence in its design. So it puts cyclists in danger.

The only solution is to build roads and cycling lanes that are incredibly dangerous and to remove all road signs.
    Allow chaos to rule.
    This will ensure that all road users will then be forced to cooperate with each other.
    With the absense of road signs it make everything more unpredictable.
    Maybe that is the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jo9jo View Post
    The only solution is to build roads and cycling lanes that are incredibly dangerous and to remove all road signs.
    Allow chaos to rule.
    This will ensure that all road users will then be forced to cooperate with each other.
    With the absense of road signs it make everything more unpredictable.
    Maybe that is the solution.

Dogs need to be kept on a leash.

This careful city cyclist nearly comes off when a dog wanders out in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyO'Brien View Post
    No it doesnt. But it is at a dangerous junction on a dual carriageway and the cycle lane on the footpath is woefully built. It is breaking up. I have lived there 5 years and seen i think three accidents. One was caused by an idiot cycling through a red light - what sort of fool goes through a red light on a dual carriageway? The other two were caused by the cycle lane. I hope the two people in those cases sue the bejaysus out of the council. That might force it to fix it. People are left with a choice of cycling on a busy dual carriageway or on a cycle lane that is falling to bits and isnt safe to ride on. They also is a problem at the building entrance. Cyclists and drivers cant see each other because the entrance is at an angle. They might need lights or something to tell cyclists to stop and a car to drive out or vice versa. There is no joined up thinking in evidence in its design. So it puts cyclists in danger.
    Hi Tommy. Answer my question..

Quote Originally Posted by an innocent abroad View Post
    Why do cyclists not have bells on their bikes anymore? I live in an area where we have great pedesterian walks which is also used by cyclists, they cycle as if they have priority, they do not slow down, or use a bell to inform pedesterians they are behind and rather than slow down they cross on to the grass verge at the same speed, which results in them losing control of their bikes and usually landing on the grass with a bang.

I love cycling but I am astonished at the ignorance and total lack of respect and safety of cyclists that use pedesterian walks towards people walking with their children or their pets. It's quite astonishing! Do they not realise they can be sued if by this behaviour they cause injury? Kinda reminds me of the saying " Where are you going with no bell on yer bike"

So all you cyclists out there, slow down when you are using pedesterian walkways, and get a bloody bell on your bike, if you don't have a bell then use your voice!
    No idea, maybe the shops don't fit them as standard?
    Though, looking at mixed pedestrian/cyclist areas, a cyclist would have to be ringing the bell all the time. Might as well attach a noise-maker to the spokes.
    Having said that, I never cycle on pedestrian walkways here, they're for pedestrians. Roads are for bicycles and other traffic.
    If, however I come across pedestrians on a non-footpath road, I'm likely to start singing. And that is guaranteed to get their attention and get me noticed. Usually with begging me to stop singing.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment