Register to Comment
Page 3 of 568 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
Like Tree2357Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Fr John Murphy View Post
    I'm sure no one is intentionally implying that the guy killed last night was to blame for his fate. The facts are not known. Our thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

On cycling, a bike + person probably weighs 14 stone on average. A car, made of hard metal, weighs over a ton. There is no room for even the slightest error for a driver looking to share road space with cyclists. As a cyclist myself, all too often, motorists open doors onto my path, overtake me at dangerous places, come far too close and generally show a reckless disregard for my safety. Are cyclists 100% well behaved all the time? No. But how many taxi drivers, truck drivers or bus drivers have been killed or seriously injured by cyclists in the last decade?

I realise it's frustrating for motorists to see cyclists gliding past and breaking red lights, but those same motorists walk through red lights when pedestrians. Push bikes don't reach speeds and lack weight to kill or seriously injure. This is a fact. So I'm on a bike at a red light where it's safe to proceed, I will do so. At my own risk. Partly to pull away from the angry traffic that can pull off when lights go green in a manner which makes it dangerous for me.

With such heavy oil dependency, bikes are the future of urban transport in our towns and cities. I just hope it gets safer.
    I cycle a lot for pleasure and exercise and wish more people would. Most of it is on country roads and very rarely do I cycle in a town but I often have the shyte scared out of me as cars and lorries whiz pass with only inches to spare. I know that in most cases it's drivers not appreciating how dangerous this is and how the wind from their machine effects cyclists. Junctions are are nightmare as many drivers just don't see cyclists because they are not looking for them. I am also a driver and allways make allowances for cyclists.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The last fatality in Dublin was about 2 days after the bike scheme was introduced in September 2009. We nearly got through 2 calendar years without one. Sadly we did not make it. Cyling in the city has become far safer in the last couple of years making this sort of incident a rarity now. The reason it is safer is down to the HGV ban, 30 kph limits and above all else the massive growth in the number of cyclists on the streets (35% in 5 years), particularly on rental bikes. The Dublin Bike scheme and the Bike to Work scheme has caused a cultural shift as great as the one where people thought it was cool to drive an SUV in urban areas (remember those ar5eholes, they haven't gone away y'know)

There is one consideration and one consideration alone whether you are a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist or driver - DON'T BE A C*NT!!!!

If every user of the urban realm lived by that rule, we'd all be happier.

Instead we get people cycling on the pavements, breaking red lights when it is clearly risky, taxi drivers not indicating, taxi drivers stopping wherever it suits them, people opening car doors without looking, van drivers pulling in without indicating and hoppin out without looking, pedestrians stepping into cyclists, pedestrians walking on cycle tracks.... etc etc etc.

Just remember, when you leave for work tomorrow, on foot, on a bike, in a car, whatever, don't be a c*nt...

Thanks

You have a ready made road safety slogan there alonso -

d*n't be a c*nt

Quote Originally Posted by Super Snooper View Post
    The biggest reason why cycling is dangerous is the failings of cyclists.
    Cycling is not dangerous.

Cars exceeding the speed limit is (usually) dangerous

Cars ignoring red lights are dangerous.

Chatting on a mobile phone (including hands free) while driving is dangerous.

The state of the roads is dangerous.

Your statement, presented as fact is not in itself, dangerous.

Just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by alonso View Post
    The last fatality in Dublin was about 2 days after the bike scheme was introduced in September 2009. We nearly got through 2 calendar years without one. Sadly we did not make it. Cyling in the city has become far safer in the last couple of years making this sort of incident a rarity now. The reason it is safer is down to the HGV ban, 30 kph limits and above all else the massive growth in the number of cyclists on the streets (35% in 5 years), particularly on rental bikes. The Dublin Bike scheme and the Bike to Work scheme has caused a cultural shift as great as the one where people thought it was cool to drive an SUV in urban areas (remember those ar5eholes, they haven't gone away y'know)

There is one consideration and one consideration alone whether you are a pedestrian, cyclist, motorcyclist or driver - DON'T BE A C*NT!!!!

If every user of the urban realm lived by that rule, we'd all be happier.

Instead we get people cycling on the pavements, breaking red lights when it is clearly risky, taxi drivers not indicating, taxi drivers stopping wherever it suits them, people opening car doors without looking, van drivers pulling in without indicating and hoppin out without looking, pedestrians stepping into cyclists, pedestrians walking on cycle tracks.... etc etc etc.

Just remember, when you leave for work tomorrow, on foot, on a bike, in a car, whatever, don't be a c*nt...

Thanks
    I'd go along with that completely, but it's important to bear one point in mind. Cyclists and pedestrians are the most vulnerable road users. So being a complete pr*ck on a bike where you're pulling out in front of traffic, not signalling etc. is dangerous and stupid and should be stopped. But it is actually more important that when we are all behind the wheel, encased in all of that metal, with our crash protections and air bags, that we don't put others who are more vulnerable at risk. I have cycled in Dublin for years and it is nothing short of criminal to see the absolute disdain motorists have for the safety of cyclists.

So perhaps the t-shirt slogan could be, "don't be a ****, and if you're driving a vehicle, don't be a dangerous **** who puts other more vulnerable road users (even if you think that they are ****s) at serious risk of death or serious injury through your ****ish behaviour".

Quote Originally Posted by Expose the lot of them View Post
    +1

cycling will only become safer when cyclists obey the rules of the road and learn that a lid and a hi-vis vest and sticking an arm out does not give them the right to plough across lanes of traffic.
    erm, would you kindly mind explaining how the hell else they are supposed to change lanes? they make themselves visible, they signal clearly before moving across, and this still isn't enough?

what do you want them to do? hop off the bike and wait ten minutes until there isn't another car in sight?

cyclists are traffic, just like cars, and they have all of the same rights as motorists do. deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob3344 View Post
    Awful lot of cyclists in dublin act like complete lunatics.

No respect for motorists or pedestrians.

Maybe motorists break the law, but they're not likely to die from a minor collision - cyclists are.
    Us vs them is pointless. What is necessary is safe and well maintained cycle paths, going point to point from suburbs and cities.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Snooper View Post
    If cyclists didn't behave as if they owned the road they would be a lot safer.
    agreed

It pisses me off when cyclists take up the whole lane. I wouldn't mind so much if they paid road tax like car/motorbike users.

Twitter
    @

Saw a cyclist go through two red lights today.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyEdo View Post
    agreed

It pisses me off when cyclists take up the whole lane. I wouldn't mind so much if they paid road tax like car/motorbike users.
    You don't pay road tax either.

Most cyclists also own cars and pay tax, which goes into a general pool, out of which, some goes towards road maintenance and building.

Cyclists, like every other road user, are entitled to take the entire lane.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment