Register to Comment
Page 140 of 322 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130138139140141142 150 190 240 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 3220
Like Tree1320Likes

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    When Rural people cycle to the city would they need to get a bike permit?

Would the guards mount road blocks looking for Boggars on Bikes without permits?

It is asinine.
    If cycling in the city they should procure a permit
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by myksav View Post
    You just proved my contention that you don't know the RotR. You cannot use a motor vehicle without the relevant licence category. You may not ride any motorcycle of any CC on a car licence. A Category B licence is not a bike licence. To use a motorcycle you must hold a Category A or Category A1 licence.

Go and read the Rules of the Road and stop making a fool of yourself on this topic.
    And your lack of research has failed to inform you that a vast amount of motorists can drive motorcycles depending on when they procured their full licence.

Full Driving Licence for Motorcycles, County Meath, Ireland - Councils, Community, Business and Investment, Tourism

This could be extended again to newer licences.

Unfortunate incident here in Cork. Hope he's ok.

67-year-old man seriously injured after being struck by cyclist in Cork

Quote Originally Posted by baldur0300 View Post
    I saw a bunch of cyclists up on summons for breaking red lights in the District Court a while ago. They are of course less likely to be sanctioned because the risk to the public of a bad cyclist is much lower than the risk caused by a bad driver. The Gardai have limited resources. But why should there be a power to confiscate a bicycle if a cyclist doesn't have id? Doesn't happen to drivers.
    I should have clarified. If a cyclist breaks the law and does not have ID then confiscation, in my opinion, is fair enough. I am not making a comparison with what happens to motorists as I think it is unreasonable to, i.e., someone breaking a specific law should be sanctioned on the basis of their act, not because it is fair to someone else. Motorists do get clamped and their cars impounded, and in cases where they are no risk to others, i.e., they are not even in their cars.

I cycle to work every day and drive when I need to, in both activities I respect the rules of the road (I also have my driver's license on me in both cases, the latter so I can be recognised if I'm unconscious!), it is bad to see the chances cyclists take and I'm sure only a matter of time before I witness my next cyclist accident. It is also annoying as a motorist as I know from a relative's experience how psychologically damaging it can be to knock someone off their bike and seriously hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by anationoceagain View Post
    And your lack of research has failed to inform you that a vast amount of motorists can drive motorcycles depending on when they procured their full licence.

Full Driving Licence for Motorcycles, County Meath, Ireland - Councils, Community, Business and Investment, Tourism

Ah, you mean a car driver who has held a full B (or car) licence prior to 2006 can ride a moped/scooter with a 50cc max capacity and a maximum speed of 45kmh.
    And you want to reinstate that ability to all B licence holders just so as to put tax and insurance on bicycles?
    You know why the Gov't seperated bike and car licences? Because too many stupid car drivers thought they could ride a bike without any training or test whatsoever.

I just had another look through the RotR and there is nothing about riding any motorbike on a B licence or about a B licence permitting the holder to ride a Category A/A1 vehicle. And the Rules of the Road is the rule book for motoring and road use.

Oh yeah, it seems that only Meath CC has that "add-on" listed.
    Last edited by myksav; 11th September 2012 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    I should have clarified. If a cyclist breaks the law and does not have ID then confiscation, in my opinion, is fair enough.
    How would they get the bike back?

Quote Originally Posted by death or glory View Post
    Bikes and bikers in rural areas are as dangerous as in the city
    There are very few cyclists in rural areas nowadays. I remember seeing old people on high nellies and children cycling but nowadays you'd only see lads on racing bikes with the helmet, cycling shorts etc. I don't think they're that dangerous. If I was out walking I'd prefer to see a bike coming than a car.

I was conducting some research today, having nearly been run over by a car making an illegal turn at speed this morning and then coming home and nearly being run over by a bus that cut me off and nearly drove right over me:

So what does research in terms of cyclists and safety tell us? Contrary to assertions that cyclist are suicidal on this thread and are their own worst enemy, a study conducted by Australian researchers found that:

In 87% of the events captured, the driver was responsible for the action that preceded the event. In 74% of those events, the driver cut the cyclist off, turning in front of the cyclist without either:

• providing enough space
    • indicating effectively
    • a head check.
    Helmet-cam captures bike accidents (and could make cycling safer)

While I sometimes break lights on a left turn, I only ever do so while there is no on coming trafic or where the cycle lane is continuous. Despite the constant threat from careless motorists, cycling is an absolute necessity for me commuting to work. If I were to drive to work it would take twice as long, and given that bus routes head into town and back out, I'd be all over the place if I had to rely on it.

Despite their repeated attempts to kill me, I feel sympathy for motorists stuck in traffic, if only they knew cycling would save them hours of commuting time every week, studies have shown cycling to be faster than cars in rush hour:

Cyclists Travel Faster Than Cars During Rushhour
    Last edited by Sucker Punch; 12th September 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anationoceagain View Post

You can only keep an A licence if you renew it every 10 years. If you had it before, didn't renew it, and decided, one licence on, to get it again, you'll have to resit your test.
    The new licencing system came in around 1990. I don't know anyone who kept renewing their A unless they drove a motorbike.

Quote Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
    Stolen bikes, Baaaasterds, "chosen people", you're a bit of a fantasist I see.

You're a master of irrelevant observation, I see.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment