Register to Comment
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Design, purchase of materials, manufacture, delivery, installation - it all adds up.
    To 20K a pop? I'm no expert but I just can't see how that's possible. The design wouldn't vary much from place to place, so can be a once-off generic design with slight modifications. Can't imagine the materials are terribly expensive but even so, if they instiall several at the same go, economies of scale will bring that and the other expenses down a lot. And as I've said, if the capitals of the fmr Eastern bloc seem able to afford it, why can't we?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Jack View Post
    Every bus shelter contains maps and timetables for every route. The maps are of the general area and show other bus routes.

It is simply not possible to show every stop on a map because they are too close together. The average distance between bus stops in Dublin is around 250m. But the details are on the route maps on the website as has been pointed out to you.

I have travelled in many cities in the UK, Europe and the US and have never seen a tourist bus map where every bus stop is marked.

Here's a tourist map of bus routes in central London. Only the major interchanges are marked - not every stop.

http://mappery.com/maps/Central-Lond...mthumb.pdf.png

And here's the Dublin Bus city centre routes with major stops marked.

http://www.cianginty.com/wp-content/...-fare-zone.jpg

Both simple to read and understand in conjunction with a tourist map. Last time I was in London, I had a pop-up guide with three maps - tourist map, Tube and bus maps. Simple to read and understand. Same in on recent trips to Paris, Prague and Budapest. The same maps exist for Dublin.

If Dublin Bus were to produce a route map with every bus stop marked have you any idea of the size it would be given how large the city and network is? I'll give you a clue - it won't fit in your pocket.

Despite all the information that has been about what exists now and is planned into the near future, you keep ignoring it and nit-picking for things that are not done elsewhere for obvious reasons.
    Most people just need to know which bus they should take, and see where they need to get that bus and where to get off it. There is no reason why this information can not be made easily available on the dublin bus website.

As a customer trying to get a bus to an unfamiliar location yesterday afternoon and thinking I could get all I needed from the website I found it a very frustrating experience and ended up having to ask a fellow passenger for the info.

Beaker has a point. Several points probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    You really are the king of the 'possible' arent you? How utterly silly..

Dublin Bus has already spend millions on 'upgrading' hundreds of bus stops with fancy kerbing. The shelters were supposed to be paid for by advertising revenue....
    Dublin Bus doesn't pay to upgrade pavements - the local authorities do.

If we want bus shelters at every stop then they have to be paid. I was giving a rough figure if the exchequer decided to pay for it direct - whether through a subvention to Dublin Bus, the local authorities, direct from the DoT budget or through a public-private deal based around advertising.

Thinking isn't your greatest strength, is it?

Dublin Bus do not have a MAP of all their routes available on line.
    Dublin Bus do not have a MAP of all their routes available off line.

On some older city maps of Dublin it used to be possible to work out where buses stopped as the bus numbers were printed in small red letters on the streets.
    These maps are no longer printed.

Irelands capitol city is saying to all visitors native & foreign, unfamiliar with its monoplized bus service , GO F*CK YOURSELF.

This attitude is endorsed by Irelands Ministry of Transport who have been found guilty in Irelands courts of attempting to crush any and all opposition to any privatized alternative to the state sponsored Dublin Bus Company

Thinking isn't your greatest strength, is it?
    Insults, swearing, whats next bullying????

Every bus shelter contains maps and timetables for every route. The maps are of the general area and show other bus routes.

It is simply not possible to show every stop on a map because they are too close together. The average distance between bus stops in Dublin is around 250m. But the details are on the route maps on the website as has been pointed out to you.

I have travelled in many cities in the UK, Europe and the US and have never seen a tourist bus map where every bus stop is marked.

Here's a tourist map of bus routes in central London. Only the major interchanges are marked - not every stop.

http://mappery.com/maps/Central-Lond...mthumb.pdf.png

And here's the Dublin Bus city centre routes with major stops marked.

Both simple to read and understand in conjunction with a tourist map. Last time I was in London, I had a pop-up guide with three maps - tourist map, Tube and bus maps. Simple to read and understand. Same in on recent trips to Paris, Prague and Budapest. The same maps exist for Dublin.

If Dublin Bus were to produce a route map with every bus stop marked have you any idea of the size it would be given how large the city and network is? I'll give you a clue - it won't fit in your pocket.

Despite all the information that has been about what exists now and is planned into the near future, you keep ignoring it and nit-picking for things that are not done elsewhere for obvious reasons.
    Its not required to know where every bus stop is located.

The above map is pathetic and of little value.It only shows a few miserable city centre stops and all outlying suburbs etc are ignored

What is required is a route map showing where buses go in the city & suburbs and the number of said bus.
    [Origen & Terminus is all thats needed]

There are not that many routes and a simple system conveying this information ought to have been produced years ago.

Complex route systems can be simplified and related to districts and streets.

Its not rocket science and the absence of any easily and cheaply available city guidemap is an indictment of not just Dublin Bus but of all Irish people who acquisce in this third world and backward approach to transport & communications
    Last edited by The Field Marshal; 20th August 2010 at 01:59 PM.

an indictment of not just Dublin Bus but of all Irish people who acquisce in this third world and backward approach to transport & communications
    In all fairness to the third world, I've been in several cities that could be described as 'third world' whose transport systems are in many respects better than that of the Celtic Tiger metropolis. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    In all fairness to the third world, I've been in several cities that could be described as 'third world' whose transport systems are in many respects better than that of the Celtic Tiger metropolis. Seriously.
    Your right.
    Why then do the Irish put up with such shyte?

After all are not extremely well paid political ministers and Dublin Bus ceo,s supposed to be working on their behalf to ensure efficiency in these matters.?

Why then do the Irish put up with such shyte?
    An intriguing question which can be asked about the Irish in so many respects - from re-electing the most corrupt and ineffectual politicians in Northern Europe, to never sending back a lousy dish in a restaurant.

Perhaps it goes back to centuries of colonisation and 'keep the head down' mentality, where politicians and 'higher ups' were meant to be distrusted and disliked? Show them an obsequious attitude to their faces but mock them behind their backs?

In any case, this may not be the thread to discuss such weighty matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Interista View Post
    An intriguing question which can be asked about the Irish in so many respects - from re-electing the most corrupt and ineffectual politicians in Northern Europe, to never sending back a lousy dish in a restaurant.

Perhaps it goes back to centuries of colonisation and 'keep the head down' mentality, where politicians and 'higher ups' were meant to be distrusted and disliked? Show them an obsequious attitude to their faces but mock them behind their backs?

In any case, this may not be the thread to discuss such weighty matters.
    I expect though that discussion can be shifted to just who is responsible for this appalling state of affairs.

Is it Minister Dempsey?

Is not he the Minister for Transport & owner of all shares in Dublin Bus?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment