Register to Comment
Page 1 of 30 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Sinn Féin was never in the IRA

Seanad adjourned amid FF-SF row over Garda Commissioner

Mr Wilson said over a period of 35 years, Sinn Féin’s colleagues in the IRA “have removed over 24 members of An Garda Síochána by murdering them’’.
    Sinn Féin Senator Niall Ó Donnghaile intervened to say he had no colleagues in the IRA.
    Sinn Féin Senator Máire Devine suggested Mr Wilson’s remarks amounted to defamation.
    Mr Ó Donnghaile claimed Fine Gael Seanad leader Jerry Buttimer was laughing.
    “The leader may laugh at such a serious accusation, but it will be a cold day in hell before I allow him, given where his party comes from, to discredit my party or any member of it,’’ Mr Ó Donnghaile added.
    Surreal stuff. So association with the actions of the IRA discredits SF? Is this now party policy?

Has anyone told Martin Ferris not to be picking up strangers outside Port Laoise Prison now for fear of discrediting the party?

The defamation case will be interesting.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

"over 24", isn't the actual figure something like 7?

FGers and the howling nut p.ie brigade need to realise there is now an entire generation of young voters who weren't even born until after the GFA was signed, and another generation above them with only the very vaguest memories of the Troubles. Some old fart droning on about the 1970s is increasingly completely irrelevant and just looks very silly.

But they just can't help themselves.

Whats this obsession with constantly dragging up the troubles cant we move on and hopefully embrace a peaceful future.

Martin Ferris was never in Sin Fein.

Martin Ferris was in the IRA.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    Whats this obsession with constantly dragging up the troubles cant we move on and hopefully embrace a peaceful future.
    There are those that were happier when people were getting killed.......It was a big distraction while they were filling their brown envelopes .

I've been told many times on this site that when I raise the subject of "old IRA" violence, perpetrated by members of FF and FG who had either been involved with the parties at the time or later became members, that it was irrelevant because it wasn't in "living memory". For example when I mentioned the assassination of TD Kevin O'Higgins in 1927 by men close to FF, later given an amnesty by De Valera. Or FF's links with Saor Eire in the 1970's and various dark dealings in that respect. Or about FF Minister Frank Aiken killing protestant civilians in Fermanagh. Or the dozens of protestants disappeared by men in County Cork who would later be members of FF. The list goes on.

Niall O'Donnghaile is a young man, Maire Devine is a young woman, they had no part in IRA violence. I, like many of my friends have little memory of the troubles, although we were are well aware of the circumstances.

And the figure was nowhere near 24, it was a handful. I'm not saying that justifies it but at least have the decency to be honest with your accusations. One of these days they'll run out of IRA stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Toowoomba View Post
    Martin Ferris was never in Sin Fein.

Martin Ferris was in the IRA.
    FG's Eoin Duffy was Commander in Chief of the IRA last I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    When you realise that referring back to the conflict is the stock answer to avoid answering difficult questions today, then it makes sense what they are doing.

You get it on p.ie all the time. The tragedy is they think they are being clever. Diarmuid Wilson couldn't even get his numbers correct. Just like some on here - no matter what the topic - they get in there with the shroud waving, irrespective of whether the info is correct or not.

...and the rest of us look on in wonder at the brassneckery of it all. Now, watch the usual suspects milk the thread with every single bit of misinformation and one sided titbits for all it's worth.

We all know the drill, we've been here before. Countless times.

Quote Originally Posted by Erudite Caveman View Post
    It makes me bang my head in range and despair against the wall of my padded cell when I remember that the Irish electorate had the opportunity to abolish the Seanad as recently as 2013, but decided to retain it.

Every night when he kneels down to says his prayers, Ronan Mullen thanks God for the cretinous Irish electorate who voted to retain his public platform. And sometimes, Michael McDowell kneels beside him.

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    "over 24", isn't the actual figure something like 7?

FGers and the howling nut p.ie brigade need to realise there is now an entire generation of young voters who weren't even born until after the GFA was signed, and another generation above them with only the very vaguest memories of the Troubles. Some old fart droning on about the 1970s is increasingly completely irrelevant and just looks very silly.

But they just can't help themselves.

The Luddite party are more worried about legislating for kids using 21st century technology....

I suppose it's a change from the middle class liberals in Labour trying to close down debate on the internet by taking away the means to get onto the internet....

Page 1 of 30 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment