Register to Comment
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 536
Like Tree334Likes
  1. #11
    stakerwallace stakerwallace is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    13,702

    Is there a Zoo in Canary Wharf?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    PBP voter PBP voter is offline
    PBP voter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    6,491

    Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Yes.. but it will not be recognised for decades yet.

    When the history books are written and the history of Ireland in the late 20th/early 21st century is written.. Adams will be recognised far ahead of any other Irish politicians, including Ahern.
    Or the man who copper-fasten British rule in the North. Much more likely as sectarian head count politics isn't working.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    Des Quirell Des Quirell is offline
    Des Quirell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    42,190

    Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Yes.. but it will not be recognised for decades yet.

    When the history books are written and the history of Ireland in the late 20th/early 21st century is written.. Adams will be recognised far ahead of any other Irish politicians, including Ahern.
    I agree.

    I don't agree with the OPer that virtually obliterating the SDLP was a good thing, though. That was a political achievement which is tiny in comparison to others. The SDLP should still be there, and definitely Hume and others deserve a place in history.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,029

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    He isn't towering figure. But he is pretty big on the political landscape. But so is Bertie. So is JFK. So is De Valera. Like these he has a rotten political legacy. (At least Bertie can claim he isn't a war criminal).
    I bet you can elaborate CLEARLY on what you are trying to say there, and I bet you can produce EVIDENCE as opposed to innuendo or conjecture.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    realistic1 realistic1 is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,061

    Quote Originally Posted by rockofcashel View Post
    Yes.. but it will not be recognised for decades yet.

    When the history books are written and the history of Ireland in the late 20th/early 21st century is written.. Adams will be recognised far ahead of any other Irish politicians, including Ahern.
    but who will be writing the history books? Most of the serious academics/historian will be the pups of Establishment Ireland, they will be no friends of SF/Adams.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,029

    The boy "Done Good". Yes, a towering Political figure.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    Fr. Hank Tree Fr. Hank Tree is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,180

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    Or the man who copper-fasten British rule in the North. Much more likely as sectarian head count politics isn't working.
    The GFA hardly copper-fastened British rule. Westminster surrendered its constitutional claim to NI in favour of the people of Northern Ireland. Unionists and loyalists are more pessimistic about the union's future than ever.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,029

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    but who will be writing the history books? Most of the serious academics/historian will be the pups of Establishment Ireland, they will be no friends of SF/Adams.
    Not any more, the Shinners have played the long game and years of up-skilling their people and broadening their appeal will ensure a better than Section 31 review of their leadership in the years to come.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    Fr. Hank Tree Fr. Hank Tree is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    10,180

    Quote Originally Posted by PBP voter View Post
    He isn't towering figure. But he is pretty big on the political landscape. But so is Bertie. So is JFK. So is De Valera. Like these he has a rotten political legacy. (At least Bertie can claim he isn't a war criminal).
    Bertie was a populist crowd pleaser, he made no decisive contributions to the course of Irish history apart from his marginal input into the peace process and of course his terrible handling of the economy. And where Adams saw his party expand, Bertie ended his party's decades long supremacy, though mainly because he adopted populist policies.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    DuineEile DuineEile is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    15,563

    I speak as a shinner, who supports Adams' leadership.

    His achievements have been massive. However, whether the temporary settlement in NI is a help or hindrance to reunification remains to be seen.


    D
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment