Register to Comment
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree14Likes

Quote Originally Posted by the_Observer View Post
    200,000 for a three bed in Roscommon still sounds overpriced to me because I doubt if they are many jobs available. 100,000 - 120,00 is more reasonable.

Ín Wexford the decision was taken to 'return ghost estates to nature''. Something similar might happen in Roscommon.

There are many three beds (new) for sale in Roscommon for much less than that.

And if you drive in off the N4 or N5 onto these estates you will see that "returning to nature" is already happening.....

The jobs situation in areas like Roscommon is indeed dire. Emigration was always a big thing.

Then in the Tiger years many men were eking out a bit of farming as a hobby, but most depended on the real day-job which tended to be in construction.

There was a huge number of small construction companies employing the local young lads, in the West...
    All gone now.....
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

This has been quite a good thread, IMHO. Pity its a little lost in the Roscommon forum, as I think its turning up points of more general interest.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatsbygirl20 View Post
    There was a huge number of small construction companies employing the local young lads, in the West...
    All gone now.....
    For the record,
    ... the counties with the highest portion of the its workforce in construction in 2006 were (in descending order) Wexford, Leitrim, Mayo, Galway County, Cavan, Laois, Donegal, Roscommon, Offaly and Longford.

The places with the lowest proportion of the workforce engaged in construction were Cork City, South Dublin, Galway City, Fingal, Waterford City, Limerick City, Dublin City and Dún Laoghaire – Rathdown.

Frontline looking for people re Ghost Estates • thepropertypin.com
    But I think the key question (ahem, going forward) is what was funding those construction companies? If they were getting their funding from foreign banks like ACC/Rabo or National Irish Bank, then the longer-term damage is much less.

But we need to know, as if they were funded by AIB and BoI every estate that's allowed to rot is a increase in losses - even if we only got €10,000 for each house. An informed discussion not possible unless the developer and the funder of each development is identified. I can't understand why, if its NIB for example, they are not selling these houses for whatever they can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    This has been quite a good thread, IMHO. Pity its a little lost in the Roscommon forum, as I think its turning up points of more general interest.For the record, But I think the key question (ahem, going forward) is what was funding those construction companies? If they were getting their funding from foreign banks like ACC/Rabo or National Irish Bank, then the longer-term damage is much less.

But we need to know, as if they were funded by AIB and BoI every estate that's allowed to rot is a increase in losses - even if we only got €10,000 for each house. An informed discussion not possible unless the developer and the funder of each development is identified. I can't understand why, if its NIB for example, they are not selling these houses for whatever they can get.
    Thanks for the stats, Schubert, on those counties with heaviest involvement in the construction boom.

When I say Roscommon, I guess I mean North Roscommon, closer to Mayo or Sligo border

South Roscommon near Athlone and the Midlands was always a bit wealthier and more self-sufficient

But in the poorer parts of the West, it was emigration or subsistance farming, until the construction boom arrived like a miracle, or a dream come true....

Guys started building their own homes, marrying and settling down locally, joining the Parents Association on their kids' school, being at home for birthdays, Communions......

It was a brief glimpse of Paradise...

Now it's back to taking that flight out of Knock at 6 .a.m and no hope of seeing their kids for two or three weeks.....And they are the lucky ones who have got jobs in London on the Olympic build....

Just on that issue of the silence of the media and the total lack of information identifying the developers of these houses or the financial interests involved, as well as the complete lack of any commentary on the question of bulldozing them outside of narrow 'they're an eyesore and dangerous' viewpoint and also no info or questioning as to the interess of the councillors in seeking to bulldoze these (keep the price high of houses locally?), I took a look to see who owns the New Ross Standard. I found this:

Independent News and Media now owns: the Kerryman; The Corkman; the Bray People; The Wicklow People; The Carlow People; The Wexford People; The Dungarvan People; The Enniscorthy Guardian; The Gorey Guardian; The New Ross Standard; The Fingal Independent; The Drogheda Independent; The Argus; The Sligo Champion; Ireland’s Own; The Belfast Telegraph and The Sunday Life in Northern Ireland.

The company also owns two newspaper wholesale and distribution companies, Newspread and in Northern Ireland, Wholesale Newspaper Service Ltd, as well as the the Irish Independent; the Sunday Independent and the Evening Herald titles. The company also has a half share in the country’s biggest selling tabloid, the Irish Daily Star, a controlling share in the Sunday broadsheet, the Sunday Tribune and the Sunday tabloid, the Sunday World

Thomas Crosbie Holdings, the owner of the Irish Examiner owns The Kildare Nationalist; the Laois Nationalist; the Wexford Echo; the New Ross Echo; the Waterford News and Star; the Roscommon Herald; the Corey Echo; the Down Democrat; the Western people; the Evening Echo; The Kingdom; the Sligo Weekender’ the Enniscorthy Echo; the Gorey Echo as well as three local radio stations, Red FM and Midwest Radio and WLR FM.
    Media Landscape - Ireland - European Journalism Centre

So that's independent reporting free from corporate and developer influence taken care of - not.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekinghasnoclothes View Post
    Prices will fall to €30k in north Roscom.

Please do you have a source for this statement? I may have to think about looking in Roscommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren J. Prior View Post
    There was an ad on the front cover of The Sunday Business Post Property Supplement for houses for sake in Oakport in Cootehall in North Roscommon yesterday with prices starting at €65,000. On the property websites it says that the four bedroom houses are going there for that price but in the ad in The SBP it showed a couple of 3 bed roomed houses so it is unclear what is for sale for €65,000 (I am not going to bother ringing)! I read an article recently where it said that house prices have dropped in Dublin by around 50% since the property boom height in 2006 but in Roscommon and other counties in Connacht have only dropped by 35%. So perhaps prices for houses in Roscommon and other counties in Connacht will be going down more!

In my middle class estate in Laurel Lodge in Castleknock prices on daft.ie say that the 3 bed roomed houses are for sale for an average of €280,000 but I have heard that this is just the asking price and I heard of one 3 bed roomed house going for sale in the area for €220,000 and the estate agent saying something like they were lucky to get that!

Roscommon has more ghost estates then most counties. Given this and the financial situation are we going to see new 4 bed roomed house going for less then €80,000 and 3 bed roomed houses going for €50,000 + do you all think? Is this the trend across the West?

My parents have a house in Roscommon- a bungalow that they bought during the property boom. If prices are indeed going to go between €50,000-€80,000 for new 3 and 4 bed roomed houses in the West I will probably make an investment in one (scraping the money somewhere touch wood )!

Cheers!!!
    This is now a realistic price for property in that area. Working people have been screwed by crazy house prices, lets hope we see a further fall throughout the country.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment