Register to Comment
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

The scams artists should put French or German accents. I vud like to fix your roof bite.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I think she's probably referring to the experience many even here in Ireland - myself included - have with Irish Travellers going door to door to sell stuff. I did buy cutlery from them once but I tend to say no because when someone is at the door you can't be sure it's legit. Mam buys furniture from them sometime and dad bought a painting from them maybe 20 years ago.

It's the same the world over, the first 100,000 eastern Europeans that came here were grafters who caused little trouble and integrated very well, the later ones were complete shams and well dodgy from drink driving to total drunkenness and rural crime sprees. A lot of the current homeless non irish are eastern European champion drinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I think she's probably referring to the experience many even here in Ireland - myself included - have with Irish Travellers going door to door to sell stuff. I did buy cutlery from them once but I tend to say no because when someone is at the door you can't be sure it's legit. Mam buys furniture from them sometime and dad bought a painting from them maybe 20 years ago.
    If nobody buys anything off them then they have no legitimate reason for casing /checking out whats worth stealing from peoples premises .

Engaging with them in any way gives them a cover for their nefarious activities .

An auld fella came selling ************************ty boots for a few bob to my place once . He wouldn’t make the price of petrol by selling the boots . He was the check out man . He made sure he had a good look around when turning his van .

Do not have any engagement with them what so ever , and if you have Hunting Equipment ( Rifles / shotguns ) it is probably a very good time to go hunting . A good dog would also be a good idea .

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    She is not wrong though even if her choice of words was poor.
    She's not wrong that there's a problem which seems to involve Irish people.

It doesn't mean she's entitled to say that people should tell any Irish person knocking at their door to leave.

I wonder if a British government minister had said this if some of the people making excuses here would have felt the same?

It's either wrong for her to say or it isn't.

I think it was wrong for her to say.

Australia should deal with it by ensuring the perpetrators are prosecuted, given heavy sentences and then immediately deported at the end of their sentences with a ban on returning to Australia for life.

The majority of law-abiding Irish people won't be affected by this, and the ones causing the problems will.

They need to also be more careful about their immigration process, for every nationality. If someone is coming to the country claiming to want to do any sort of building work, they should have either a definite job to go to or demonstrate they have made proper plans to set up a legitimate, registered building company.

Also I wonder how many of these people had criminal records in Ireland? It seems likely many of them did, in which case they shouldn't have allowed them in in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    Racism, no.

Xenophobic stereotyping, yes.
    Oh lordy what's the difference.

I've never heard it explained even on threads about the poor polish guy who got killed a while back in Dublin.

Perhaps you were explaining there that whatever happened to the man it that it was not racism. Consistency.

Presumably if a person says don't leave any of them Lebanese in you would regard that also as non racist. By a similar extension anyone who dislikes syrians for no other reason than their religious is also not a racist.

I don't recall this point being made before by anyone.
    Last edited by Mick Mac; 31st October 2017 at 01:11 PM.

Hell to extend it further then by Eoghanachts definition travellers can't be subject to racism or to xenophobic stereotyping but presumably only to stereotyping of an offensive nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Isn't every one who travels their from Ireland an Irish traveller.
    Stop being racist... sorry engaging in stereotyping of a potentially offensive nature.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    https://m.independent.ie/world-news/...-36276594.html

Video in link.

Australian Minister for Consumer Affairs, Marlene Kairouz, has sparked outrage amongst the Irish community down under following a warning to Australians stating:

The warning follows an increase in the number of home improvement scams on the elderly.

Of course, this is unacceptable and racist language. I just hope that we make an appropriate response to this.
    Could they not just put up a sign

"No Irish need knocK'

There are some things that can be said in casual conversation that should never be repeated by a state official.

This Australian minister is a first class idiot.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment