Register to Comment
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree87Likes

Toronto seems to be emerging as the world leader in first world problems.
    And in any week where there is a shortage of first world problems they have no problem in inventing a few.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Dimples 77 View Post
    I think this is going way too far. Does the title "Chief" belong to Indigenous peoples?

Is every word going to end up banned for one reason or another?

Toronto District School Board removing 'chief' from job titles out of respect for Indigenous peoples | CTV News

A quote from the article which I think is pertinent :

"It may not have originated as an Indigenous word, but the fact is that it is used as a slur in some cases, or in a negative way to describe Indigenous people," he said in an interview Wednesday. "With that in mind, as it has become a slur in some cases, that's the decision the administration has made to be proactive on that."
    I suppose if the word chief is used a slur in a Canadian context, I am not going to get my knickers in too much of a twist because an employer chooses not to use the word as part of job titles anymore. It is no skin of my teeth, being as I am of fairly strong constitution.

My chief (oops- well smite me down with a tomahawk),--my paramount concern is for the poor conservative type snowflakes at CTV news and at P.ie who are very sensitive and all upset about people who make inconsiderate choices to use one word over another. Changing things around like is very disconcerting to the poor crayturs and alerting them to all the choices that occur in dictionaries and thesauruses causes all kinds of stress induced pimples and rashes. I would go so far as to say that the organisation in question is acting contrary to health and safety rules disseminating such traumatic news and exposing the poor snowflakes to potentially life threatening meltdown.
    Last edited by callas; 14th October 2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by callas View Post
    A quote from the article which I think is pertinent :

I suppose if the word chief is used a slur in a Canadian context, I am not going to get my knickers in too much of a twist because an employer chooses not to use the word as part of job titles anymore. It is no skin of my teeth, being as I am of fairly strong constitution.

My chief (oops- well smite me down with a tomahawk),--my paramount concern is for the poor conservative type snowflakes at CTV news and at P.ie who are very sensitive and all upset about people who make inconsiderate choices to use one word over another. Changing things around like is very disconcerting to the poor crayturs and alerting them to all the choices that occur in dictionaries and thesauruses causes all kinds of stress induced pimples and rashes. I would go so far as to say that the organisation in question is acting contrary to health and safety rules disseminating such traumatic news and exposing the poor snowflakes to potentially life threatening meltdown.
    Well they have to be upset about silliness like this because otherwise there laughable routine of claiming to be progressives would be very bare.

Now what other probably horrendous mistranslations should be banned.

You don't have to apologise for using the word chief assuming your irish. It's part of your cultural heritage you see since our word for our leaders also got translated as Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Mac View Post
    Well they have to be upset about silliness like this because otherwise there laughable routine of claiming to be progressives would be very bare.

Now what other probably horrendous mistranslations should be banned.

You don't have to apologise for using the word chief assuming your irish. It's part of your cultural heritage you see since our word for our leaders also got translated as Chief.

Settle down, no need to get into a lather. Nobody is banning any words. The Toronto education board are merely deciding that one word might be more appropriate and more professional than another, in a given situation which is familiar to them and not so familiar to the loudmouths who inhabit this forum.
    It should be no big deal at all, it should be no more newsworthy than what I had for breakfast. But these sort of stories are clickbait in this world where Donald Trump is gobdaw in chief and the rightard clowns who support him get themselves all upset about this sort of thing.
    Changing your language to be more polite is nothing new......
    In the written Mandarin language it used to be cool to utilize Chinese characters that essentially meant that all the nouns denoting furringer peoples were classed with those for animals and those nouns that applied to proper Chinese people were in a special class that denoted humans. But they got all modern and went mad with political correctness at some point towards the early twentieth century, with the result that the word for Irish people and even the word for Yanks is written with Chinese characters that indicates that they are also considered human. I am sure there a quite a few Chinese snowflakes who have never gotten over the outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by callas View Post
    Nice try...................you total fkn mars-bar. Which little snowflakes thawed first?.........the good tribe (pardon the pun) sjw's........... AKA your pals. They're slowly trying to reinvent the wheel, poor little pets...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment