Register to Comment
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree8Likes

There is a lot to be said for the Japanese however they are massively racist in general. I was shocked to discover that the Chinese in Singapore still retain a horror of them from the way they behaved in their attempts to establish a World Empire in the 30s and 40s. Also they never had to undergo anything to extent of the Vergangenheitsbewaltigung in Germany. Presbyterians in the United State tend to be either Scotch Irish, Dutch (though you have actual Dutch Reformed groups there as well) and Korean! The Koreans of course tend to be the most pious and ethical, the Scotch Irish the best at singing and the Dutch the wealthiest (I could speculate why but I won't). There tends to be something very pure about the Koreans.

Japan was originally settled by a white skinned group called the Ainu. They still survive in small numbers and there was a lot of controversy a while back when it was discovered that the Royal Family actually had Ainu blood in their veins! The Japanese as we know them today probably came from Korea which is another thing that they don't like to think about!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Japan was not defeated in the comprehensive way that Germany was.

Japan kept its Emperor. So there was a continuity there.

Quote Originally Posted by flavirostris View Post
    I work with a Japanese-Brazilian. I never even knew that Brazil had an ethnic Japanese minority.
    Largest Japanese population outside Japan. They brought them over to pick coffee but many were next to indentured slaves. Some of the later generations went back to Japan to work but they even found it hard to fit in with the local Japanese. Okinawa is slightly more open than the rest of Japan, they hold a massive gathering festival every couple of years to welcome home Okinawa Japanese from around the World. Brazil has 200,000 Okinawa Japanese.

A strange part of history is that the older Japanese generation who controlled the Japanese community in Brazil refused to accept that the Emperor would surrender, fake news ahead of its time. So any Japanese that spoke out were murdered by an organisation called Shindo Renmei. I recommend checking out the Brazilian movie "Dirty Hearts".

Quote Originally Posted by parentheses View Post
    Japan was not defeated in the comprehensive way that Germany was.

Japan kept its Emperor. So there was a continuity there.

Japan was crushed. The Americans allowed the emperor to remain because to have removed him would have rendered Japan ungovernable.

Is racism the right word when the group involved is almost identical to you?

Let me generalize disgracefully here and say that the peoples of North East Asia do seem to be unusually apprehensive about outsiders. This will become clearer as China's power begins to affect us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post
    Is racism the right word when the group involved is almost identical to you?

Let me generalize disgracefully here and say that the peoples of North East Asia do seem to be unusually apprehensive about outsiders. This will become clearer as China's power begins to affect us all.
    The Japanese have a very racialized idea of nationality which is quite close to the older German idea as to what constitutes a German.

I don't know if Koreans and Japanese are ethnically that close (as close as the Irish and British?). I think that the Chinese and Japanese are recognizably different to each other, even if they might not be to all westerners.

Quote Originally Posted by Wascurito View Post
    The Japanese have a very racialized idea of nationality which is quite close to the older German idea as to what constitutes a German.

I don't know if Koreans and Japanese are ethnically that close (as close as the Irish and British?). I think that the Chinese and Japanese are recognizably different to each other, even if they might not be to all westerners.
    Japanese describes an ethny, tribe, something smaller anyway, rather than a race?
    Last edited by Ardillaun; 7th September 2017 at 08:19 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment