Register to Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    It's the same for Ireland. My wee ones are Irish Citizens though born overseas and have never had an Irish passport. You don't need a passport to be a citizen.
    No, I mean you become an automatic citizen, without having to apply. I understand you could have the right to be a citizen, but do you not have to apply anyway. I know it's different with Israel. Any Jew who visits Israel is granted automatic citizenship but he/she doesn't have to take it. They can say they don't want citizenship. I'm just wondering if NZ grants automatic citizenship, without the person applying for it, or even knowing they are getting it
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    No, I mean you become an automatic citizen, without having to apply. I understand you could have the right to be a citizen, but do you not have to apply anyway. I know it's different with Israel. Any Jew who visits Israel is granted automatic citizenship but he/she doesn't have to take it. They can say they don't want citizenship. I'm just wondering if NZ grants automatic citizenship, without the person applying for it, or even knowing they are getting it
    I am not sure about NZ, but for Irish citizenship I had to prove by birth certificates of one parent and one grandparent and my own that I was eligible to be a plastic paddy. I am sure NZ would require something similar otherwise everyone who wants to will walk in and claim citizenship.

Twitter
    @

Yes, and they are automatic citizens who have not applied for anything. If they want the passport they'll have to do what Grace did. That's passport application; not citizenship application.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    I am not sure about NZ, but for Irish citizenship I had to prove by birth certificates of one parent and one grandparent that I was eligible to be a plastic paddy. I am sure NZ would require something similar otherwise everyone who wants to will walk in and claim citizenship.
    You had to do that to get a Passport. You were already an Irish Citizen.

You had to do that to get a Passport. You were already an Irish Citizen.
    Thx for the clarification. I was working at the Irish Embassy at the time, so I decided to apply for an Irish passport too.

Yes, and they are automatic citizens who have not applied for anything. If they want the passport they'll have to do what Grace did. That's passport application; not citizenship application.
    So the politicians in Australia wouldn't even have to be aware they were also citizens of NZ. Makes me wonder does NZ (or the Republic of Ireland) even know how many citizens it has

Twitter
    @

So the politicians in Australia wouldn't even have to be aware they were also citizens of NZ. Makes me wonder does NZ (or the Republic of Ireland) even know how many citizens it has
    Yes and No.

Epic trolling by the Kiwis which can only rub salt into Aussie wounds - already pretty raw after last weekend's result in the Bledisloe Cup series opener.

RTÉ News Australia's Deputy PM front runner for 'Kiwi of the Year'

I get what you mean but your words there aren't quite right there.

Surely Israel has just issued an entitlement to citizenship there, and not actual citizenship.

If the person doesn't take it then they aren't a citizen, and thus actual citizenship hasn't been granted.

This is similar to the situation for (most) people who are born in Northern Ireland. The ROI states that those people are entitled to Irish citizenship, but that doesn't automatically make those people Irish citizens.

In order to become an Irish citizen the ROI states that a person who is entitled to become an Irish citizen becomes an Irish citizen if he or she does any act that only Irish citizens are entitled to do. The most common act that people perform in order to become an Irish citizen is to apply for a ROI passport. That qualifies as an act as only Irish citizens are entitled to apply for a ROI passport.

That's a good point.

In the case of these countries if a citizen has children in another country, but never informs their home country that the children exist, then the children would be citizens even if the home country wasn't aware of it.

I suppose it makes no real difference if the home country never learns about these children.

If the children ever do something that involves their inherited citizenship - like apply for a passport for the home country of the parent - then the home country would learn about them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment