Register to Comment
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes
    Twitter
    @

What is your most left wing opinion and most right wing opinion?

I think most of us know that the terms "left wing" and "right wing" are less than perfect and most of us simultaneously hold views that are left wing and right wing (at least if you're not a extremist ideologue, I suppose). To illustrate this one need only consider one's own most "left" and "right" wing stance/opinion. Perhaps it will make for interesting reading and serve to illustrate the point I'm making?

My most "left-wing" opinion:
    For non-elective health issues, your ability to pay or not pay should not impact the quality of health care you receive.

My most "right-wing" opinion:
    Porous borders, demographic decline and an unwillingness to mount a muscular defence of Western values pose a short-to-medium term existential risk to a liberal, secure and prosperous Europe.

Et toi?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Twitter
    @

Not sure if left wing or right wing applies any more. But of what were regarded as left and right I would say that I am in favour of critical public services being in public ownership (health service, utilities, transport) and I would be in favour of the death penalty for certain crimes.

Left wing:
    I would be in favor of any practical measure that reduced the income of people like the Koch brothers and increased the income of the average Walmart worker.

Right wing:
    Public servants should be subject to firm, proper management and disciplined accordingly.
    The strikes in Roscommon over Flexi Time are a joke and an insult to taxpayers.

What do you mean by 'left' and 'right' as the terms have gone the way of 'liberal', 'feminist', 'antisemitic' and most others that had some definition and could be used for political debate. Now most are just used for name-calling without any connection to their former meanings.

So " left wing" is your decent, generous, caring self, and right wing is your nasty, selfish, sadistic self? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lúidín View Post
    What do you mean by 'left' and 'right' as the terms have gone the way of 'liberal', 'feminist', 'antisemitic' and most others that had some definition and could be used for political debate. Now most are just used for name-calling without any connection to their former meanings.
    That someone can equate decent pay for low wage workers as left wing kind of proves that.

Left wing: free health care for all.
    Right wing: sick of young people leaving school and going straight on housing lists.

Left wing opinion : Shoot them all.

Right wing opinion: Shoot them all.

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    Left wing opinion : Shoot them all.

Right wing opinion: Shoot them all.
    Both rather outdated and irrelevant labels in this day and age. However, I will play this rather inane game and say I would be considered, by some, 'right wing' when it comes to crime and 'left wing' when it comes to healthcare although I think neither designations are at all accurate.

Go far enough left or right and you arrive at the same point - despotism.

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    Both rather outdated and irrelevant labels in this day and age. However, I will play this rather inane game and say I would be considered, by some, 'right wing' when it comes to crime and 'left wing' when it comes to healthcare although I think neither designations are at all accurate.

Go far enough left or right and you arrive at the same point - despotism.
    Alan Bleasdale - the english playwright who wrote The boys from the Blackstuff - said that the further left you go the closer you get to fascism.

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment