View Poll Results: Should Irish citizens living abroad be eligible to vote in presidential elections?

Voters
254. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Yes

148 58.27%
  • No

106 41.73%
Register to Comment
Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree210Likes

Referendum to be held, on whether Irish citizens living abroad should have vote in Presidential Elections

An Taoiseach has announced this.

I think that I disagree.

Will this mean President Adams?

Referendum to be held on voting rights for Irish abroad

<Mod> This thread has been merged with "Referendum is to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections." </Mod>
    Last edited by stringjack; 12th March 2017 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Merged thread.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Referendum is to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections.

Just spotted this story,more to follow:

Will this be the beginning of a new chapter in Irish Politics? Could people in the Six Counties eventually elect TD's this side of a Border Poll?

What are the implications of having Hundreds of Thousands of Irish people living abroad voting in a Presidential Election?

Are FF/FG using it as a testing ground to see if they will suffer a backlash from those forced to leave Ireland?

Referendum to be held to allow Irish citizens living abroad to vote in presidential elections - Independent.ie

Enda Kenny said...........

Speaking in Philadelphia, Mr Kenny said: "Today's announcement is a profound recognition of the importance that Ireland attaches to all of our citizens, wherever they may be.

"It is an opportunity for us to make our country stronger by allowing all of our citizens resident outside the State, including our emigrants, to vote in future presidential elections."

Can the Mods merge this or close my thread please?

Kenny wins the prize for the most referendums on pointless topics that no one cares about.

How about referendums on freedom of speech, competition in services, derelict lands, anti corruption etc etc ...

Its only for Presidential elections I believe.

To be honest - Id probably vote against this. There are too many Irish citizens abroad and their turnout would be totally unpredictable. Wed risk the vote for the presidency being dominated by nutty US gender politics.

I'm actually in favour of emigrants having a vote in general elections, for ten years or so after leaving.

Presidential Elections and referendums could be significantly impacted by people in NI having a vote, for example. I don't think that's right

French people living abroad have a vote, I think they are all counted as being in a single "overseas" constituency. That way they get a say without overwhelming the election results - would that be a possible solution here?

Though I think NI would deserve its own constituency also, so that'd possibly be two here.

(Needless to say I'm for! )

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    I'm actually in favour of emigrants having a vote in general elections, for ten years or so after leaving.

Presidential Elections and referendums could be significantly impacted by people in NI having a vote, for example. I don't think that's right
    Why?

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment