Register to Comment
Page 1 of 20 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

The Dáil is an embarrassment

The Dáil is effectively no more than a talking shop but government backbenchers won't even allow the opposition to speak. Now I know there must be 60 odd backbenchers in Fine Gael and another 25 in Labour who have almost nothing to do in the Dáil but that doesn't excuse them behaving like animals. Watch this clip of Joe Higgins speaking during leader's questions. Ok Higgins can be long winded and and likes to exaggerate for effect but certain backbenchers belong in the zoo. Bernard Durkan and Jerry Buttimer of Fine Gael and Emmet Stagg of Labour deserve a special mention for their obstruction of the opposition.

Joe Higgins warns Government over growing momentum for Anti Household Tax Boycott Campaign - YouTube
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    The Dáil is effectively no more than a talking shop but government backbenchers won't even allow the opposition to speak. Now I know there must be 60 odd backbenchers in Fine Gael and another 25 in Labour who have almost nothing to do in the Dáil but that doesn't excuse them behaving like animals. Watch this clip of Joe Higgins speaking during leader's questions. Ok Higgins can be long winded and and likes to exaggerate for effect but certain backbenchers belong in the zoo. Bernard Durkan and Jerry Buttimer of Fine Gael and Emmet Stagg of Labour deserve a special mention for their obstruction of the opposition.

Joe Higgins warns Government over growing momentum for Anti Household Tax Boycott Campaign - YouTube
    'can be long winded and and likes to exaggerate for effect '? Higgins is one of the worst public speakers ever to (dis)grace Irish public life. They really should just start snoring after his first few words; it would be a fairer reflection on his abilities.

I wonder would the RTE defence work in this case.

"You are comparing it with Westminster which is the best in the world and if you had traveled as much as I have you would know that there are a lot worse than what we have here. So pay up and stop complaining."

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    'can be long winded and and likes to exaggerate for effect '? Higgins is one of the worst public speakers ever to (dis)grace Irish public life. They really should just start snoring after his first few words; it would be a fairer reflection on his abilities.
    Indeed, I think those backbenchers should be congratulated for staying awake when Higgins is speaking. As for his so-called "growing opposition" to the household charge, they had one of their public meetings about it down our way a couple of weeks ago. 14 people were there - including their local (former) public rep, and 3 or 4 of his local party members.

Quote Originally Posted by simeongrimes View Post
    I wonder would the RTE defence work in this case.

"You are comparing it with Westminster which is the best in the world and if you had traveled as much as I have you would know that there are a lot worse than what we have here. So pay up and stop complaining."
    The baying hounds of the 1922 Committee make our lot look like shrinking violets.

In reply, Enda wiped the floor, Joe Higgins came across as a fool for asking the question. I thought it was no better or worse than the banter that goes in Westminster.

BTW: Look at the cut of Wallace, looks like a total gurrier, he has no respect for himself or the house.

He made a great point at the start and showed up EK ,but then went off on a long winded tangent instead .The heckels against him were a disgrace but then DA is little more than a playground for the privileged .

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    In reply, Enda wiped the floor, Joe Higgins came across as a fool for asking the question. I thought it was no better or worse than the banter that goes in Westminster.
    You're obviously on different planet.

What's the point of having opposition TD's?
    Do they actually serve a useful purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by MacBeth View Post
    You're obviously on different planet.
    I am on earth and I am trying to figure out which one you are on? I suspect you are beyond the Solar System!

Page 1 of 20 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment