Register to Comment
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree1Likes

In order of priority;
    1; Allowing a verifiable public petition of 100k signatures to enact a people's referendum on any constitutional issue.
    2; Getting rid of the Senate
    3; Introduction of a list system for electing TDs and reducing the number to 120.
    4; Removing the automatic right of people born in N.I. or having Irish grandparents from having Irish citizenship. Birth or residency to be the only thing that qualifies you for citizenship.
    5; Children's rights.
    6; Doing away with all current local government and replacing it with four constitutionally defined regional assemblies, also elected using a list system.
    7; Removing the ban on the death penalty in cases of terrorism or multiple murders.
    8; Re-setting the qualification thresholds for the President.
    9; A new flag and a follow-up law on the treatment of the national flag.
    10; Limiting the government to 10 senior ministers.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    In order of priority;
    1; Allowing a verifiable public petition of 100k signatures to enact a people's referendum on any constitutional issue.
    Agreed, although with certain limits.
    2; Getting rid of the Senate
    Disagree - there is significant potential for reform, if only the political establishment weren't too lazy to make the effort.
    3; Introduction of a list system for electing TDs and reducing the number to 120.
    Disagree on both count. I oppose list systems, as it completely removes individual accountability, and I would reduce the amount of TDs to 100, although I would increase the amount to 150 in the event of Irish Re-unification.
    4; Removing the automatic right of people born in N.I. or having Irish grandparents from having Irish citizenship. Birth or residency to be the only thing that qualifies you for citizenship.
    Disagree, All with verified Irish ancestor should have citizenship, we need to make good use of our diaspora.
    5; Children's rights.
    Agreed.
    6; Doing away with all current local government and replacing it with four constitutionally defined regional assemblies, also elected using a list system.
    Completely disagree. A list system for local elections? I would dare you to name one place in the world where the lowest form of local authority is even partially elected via the list system. Also, if you only have four large Regional Governments with no lower-tiered councils, you will get plenty of parish pumping.
    7; Removing the ban on the death penalty in cases of terrorism or multiple murders.
    100% disagree. The death penalty is morally wrong under all circumstances.
    8; Re-setting the qualification thresholds for the President.
    This will need to be expanded upon.
    9; A new flag and a follow-up law on the treatment of the national flag.
    No new flag until re-unification, and if people feel the need to burn our flag, then they are within their rights to do so.
    10; Limiting the government to 10 senior ministers.
    Almost agree, although I would make the provision for junior ministers as well, and limit them to 20.

Compulsory voting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    (1)Referenda on removing the preamble, (2)abolishing the Seanad, (3)increasing the TD/Electorate quota to 50,000, (4)removing all references to social policy principally the sexist articles on women, and (5)guaranteeing northern MPs full rights of representation in the Dail.
    1) I would wait until reunification, and have the whole thing rewritten.
    2) Again, I believe that reform would be better than abolition, which has always being the lazy option that our governments have taken to questions on political reform. A well-designed second house can also make the political atmosphere interesting
    3) Disagree - I would simply set a fixed amount of TDs to be elected. More consistent.
    4) Disagree on social policy - it would ensure that controversial social policies have full support of the public before they are implemented. And as for the articles referring to women in a sexist way, like with the Preamble, I would wait until Irish Reunification, and have the constitution re-written.
    5) I would offer them a place in a reformed Seanad instead - they would be under-representing the North if they were allowed into the Dail. The Seanad is a perfect arena for them.

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Compulsory voting.
    Personally, I believe that compulsory voting should only be introduced in referendums, as I believe that all future referendums need to have support from the majority of elected voters . However, I would include a "none of the above" option on all ballots, which would discount them from the final tally.

Quote Originally Posted by Toman13 View Post
    Personally, I believe that compulsory voting should only be introduced in referendums, as I believe that all future referendums need to have support from the majority of elected voters . However, I would include a "none of the above" option on all ballots, which would discount them from the final tally.
    Why discount them? If the majority of voters vote 'none of the above' then surely their choice must stand.
    Re run the election with better candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by EUrJokingMeRight View Post
    Why discount them? If the majority of voters vote 'none of the above' then surely their choice must stand.
    Re run the election with better candidates.
    I'm talking about Referendums, not elections. Voting at elections should be voluntary, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Toman13 View Post
    1) I would wait until reunification, and have the whole thing rewritten.
    2) Again, I believe that reform would be better than abolition, which has always being the lazy option that our governments have taken to questions on political reform. A well-designed second house can also make the political atmosphere interesting
    3) Disagree - I would simply set a fixed amount of TDs to be elected. More consistent.
    4) Disagree on social policy - it would ensure that controversial social policies have full support of the public before they are implemented. And as for the articles referring to women in a sexist way, like with the Preamble, I would wait until Irish Reunification, and have the constitution re-written.
    5) I would offer them a place in a reformed Seanad instead - they would be under-representing the North if they were allowed into the Dail. The Seanad is a perfect arena for them.
    You might be waiting a while. This is a discussion about what we would like changed in the constitution. We don't have to wait 30 or 40 years just to remove a couple of lines that wax lyrical about how great Jaysus is and the like. As for the Seanad it is a joke that has no place in this Republic. Get rid of it and reform the Dail to make it more accountable, like what FG said they were going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    You might be waiting a while. This is a discussion about what we would like changed in the constitution. We don't have to wait 30 or 40 years just to remove a couple of lines that wax lyrical about how great Jaysus is and the like. As for the Seanad it is a joke that has no place in this Republic. Get rid of it and reform the Dail to make it more accountable, like what FG said they were going to do.
    However, if we wait until then, we will get the thing removed with the least amount of fuss from comservatives. Also, the seanad would be useful in a future UI, which is likely to have become a federation by then, making a second house perfectly useful, especially for representing Unionists.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment