Register to Comment
Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Is it time for an executive presidency?

Our present government has shown us that the present system isn't working. Is it time that we abolish the role of Taoiseach and have a President who can appoint their own cabinet from any walk of life so we can have experts rather than politicians making the crucial decisions? Opinions please.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

in principal i'd be all in favour of such a system, however do you think it would not be abused / used in a job's for the boys approach ? can you imagine what utter gobsh1tes we'd have been stuck with had Bertie become such a President in the 07 election ? Paddy the Plaster as a minister ?

until the whole body politic is reformed root and branch we'd only be trading elected gombeens for unelected even bigger gombeens....

Probably. Perhaps a system whereby the president, vice president and cabinet are all on the one ticket - unlike in America where it's only the President and VP and the cabinet is undemocratically appointed afterwards. I also think it might make the decision making process more efficient - more of a consensus building approach rather than the current system whereby the opposition produces a private members motion, the gov votes it down and then comes up with a near identical version a few months later, this due to the fact that governments would not need a majority to govern.
    Last edited by Red_93; 21st August 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Isn't the difference from USA that America is far more strongly a 2 party system ?

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntledcitizen View Post
    in principal i'd be all in favour of such a system, however do you think it would not be abused / used in a job's for the boys approach ? can you imagine what utter gobsh1tes we'd have been stuck with had Bertie become such a President in the 07 election ? Paddy the Plaster as a minister ?

until the whole body politic is reformed root and branch we'd only be trading elected gombeens for unelected even bigger gombeens....
    Depends on the system and on whether we allow political parties to spend wildly on their candidates.
    Look at the American system - it's not hugely better than ours as they still really only have two choices of president as outsiders are largely dead in the water as political parties have too much money.

If we had a system which allowed anyone to stand with the same chance of becoming president then it would be better but how to do that is difficult to figure out.

I would suggest that in principle, electing capable people to president and allowing him/her suggest the ministers would be better (if it goes wrong there is no hiding from the blame). I think if we were to do that though we should rip our political system apart and design a whole new system which is fit for purpose.

my own feelings is that the best system in oractice is one that can be maintained and regulated properly, be it left wing right wing, KFC chicken wing......

But in theory an executive is a lovely idea......

Quote Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
    I think if we were to do that though we should rip our political system apart and design a whole new system which is fit for purpose.
    i think thats the key point. also whilst i don't think a US voter is any smarter than an Irish voter, god knows enough of them vote for as dumb a reason as people do here, there needs to be a way to ensure that the candidates are really top drawer and fit for purpose, how that could be achieved is anyones guess, without same we run the risk of having muppets like Bertie again and again

Who would have gotten the Finance job?

Seanie or FFingers?

The problem with Irish democracy is the Irish people.

The executive branch would have to be far more accountable to the legislative branch than is the case in the US. There would have to be term limits in order to save us from our own stupidity from time to time. I agree with the suggestion that the cabinet would have to be named and voted on beforehand with any replacements being ratified by the legislative branch. Finally, spending limits would have to be in force to prevent the perversion of democracy that occurs in the US.

It would mean we can get rid of the presidency as it exists and save some money. The Taoiseach always has been the Chief Executive and could easily do the role of Head of State as well. It would mean that a repetition of the 1997 Z-list presidential election can be avoided

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment