Register to Comment
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Well, here's my proposal. Have expert outsiders - ie. people who are not elected members of the legislature make up the cabinet. However, have them on the ticket for everyone to see before the election, rather than just the president and the VP. Of course, this might challenge the independence of say an economist, but lots of them have run for election in the past (George Lee, Garrett FitzGerald, Eithne Fitzgerald, Alan Dukes etc). So rather than being approved by the legislature, let them be approved by the electorate instead.
    A list system combined with PR STV in constituencies would allow parties to run with expert outsiders pencilled in for key posts while retaining some democratic accountability. I don't think we need an executive president.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by anons View Post
    A list system combined with PR STV in constituencies would allow parties to run with expert outsiders pencilled in for key posts while retaining some democratic accountability. I don't think we need an executive president.
    That would still leave the fate of the country in the hands of corrupt and unanswerable political parties.

Strip parties of funding and decimate them. Allow freedom of association by allowing them to form alliances but force each and every politician to take responsibility for every vote by removing the whip system.

Scrap this idea that a govt cannot lose a vote as democracy is about the right to say no.

I would very much agree with removing the whip system.

The idea of an executive president is an excellent one.
    The president would then be given the task of picking their cabinet from the best and brightest in the country. I certainly would not restrict their choice to elected reps.
    It would be important though that the legislature approve all the nominees.
    This system would work particularly well in a small country like ours as the candidates would be able to canvass everywhere, unlike America wheree this is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by just4ever View Post
    I would very much agree with removing the whip system.
    But the whip has no statutory enforcement, isn't it just an internal rule of the parties?

Agree. Break the power of local bosses and local narrow-mindedness, make the people of Ireland think about what is best for Ireland rather than for their county or their town when they are voting for our national government.

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    But the whip has no statutory enforcement, isn't it just an internal rule of the parties?
    Then make the operation of it illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    It's pretty useful when it comes to keeping the government going.

Quote Originally Posted by liamfoley View Post
    It's pretty useful when it comes to keeping the government going.
    In the context of this thread that would not be a concern as the executive function would be invested in an elected president.

Outside of that context, in the current reality, what would be so bad about the government losing some votes. Only finance bills or confidence motions would require the government to fall. Why should keeping the government going be an over-riding concern?

I also believe that statutory term limits should be imposed.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment