Register to Comment
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Think.Thank View Post
    Why would we as a combined country want to follow anything that the Americans or the English do ?? Is that not the reason why we are in this mess in the first place!!!

I mean, this is Ireland. Are we not intellegent enough to come up with our own system rather than rely on the ideas of the countries that obviously have their own agendas going on.... We are ruled by a bunch of idiots with deep pockets and all we seem to do is complain about them rather than actually stand together and fight for what we believe in....

What we need is a system where the Irish population votes on ideas to be implemented by the employees of the state... There also needs to be a full transparency into all monies spent by the state so that roads that were ment to cost €6,000,000 don't end up costing twice that with no one accountable for it and so on..........

Also, it's a bit off topic but did we really fight for 800 years or so to be raped and bullied by our own government and why aren't the likes of the IRA and other so called freedom fighters taking out members of government that we all know are skimming massive amounts of tax payers money to beifit their exectutive lifestyles....
    These people are not "the elite" as they like to think!!! They work for us and if they are cheating us then they should be delt with accordingly.....

I am personally sick of my opinion counting for Sweet Fu#k All when it comes to the decision making of my life!!!
    Why don't you stand for election? I'd vote for you.

(& please don't swear, there's rules against it).
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Why would we as a combined country want to follow anything that the Americans or the English do ?? Is that not the reason why we are in this mess in the first place!!!

I mean, this is Ireland. Are we not intellegent enough to come up with our own system rather than rely on the ideas of the countries that obviously have their own agendas going on.... We are ruled by a bunch of idiots with deep pockets and all we seem to do is complain about them rather than actually stand together and fight for what we believe in....

What we need is a system where the Irish population votes on ideas to be implemented by the employees of the state... There also needs to be a full transparency into all monies spent by the state so that roads that were ment to cost €6,000,000 don't end up costing twice that with no one accountable for it and so on..........

Also, it's a bit off topic but did we really fight for 800 years or so to be raped and bullied by our own government and why aren't the likes of the IRA and other so called freedom fighters taking out members of government that we all know are skimming massive amounts of tax payers money to beifit their exectutive lifestyles....
    These people are not "the elite" as they like to think!!! They work for us and if they are cheating us then they should be delt with accordingly.....

I am personally sick of my opinion counting for Sweet Fu#k All when it comes to the decision making of my life!!!
    Well we didn't fight for 800 years, for a start.....

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Well we didn't fight for 800 years, for a start.....
    Out of all that I wrote, that is what you thought to highlight....
    Your attempt at being smart just shows how small minded you are. Do you just participate in discussions just to be a dick ??

How about some constructive feedback or will you have to look up an oxford dictionary first to pull out mistakes I made in this reply... Are you British ??

And the word Elite was used perfectly in context if you actually managed to read what I wrote corretly... I'm sure everybody else that reads my first post will agree that I wrote it in an understandable context....

On a final note, I would like to congratulate you as the first person on Politics.ie that I don't like....

Out of all that I wrote, that is what you thought to highlight....
    Your attempt at being smart just shows how small minded you are. Do you just participate in discussions just to be a dick ??

How about some constructive feedback or will you have to look up an oxford dictionary first to pull out mistakes I made in this reply... Are you British ??

And the word Elite was used perfectly in context if you actually managed to read what I wrote corretly... I'm sure everybody else that reads my first post will agree that I wrote it in an understandable context....

On a final note, I would like to congratulate you as the first person on Politics.ie that I don't like....
    Well given that your main suggestion seems to be that the IRA kill government ministers, forgive me for considering it less than worthwhile to respond to your post in detail.

Although I do believe that many of the members of government have carried out what would be condsidered criminal acts if those acts were committeted by a regular member of the population and that they should be trialled by judge and jury. I do admit that my phrasing was a bit of an over kill but my main point of reference was the following quote.

"What we need is a system where the Irish population votes on ideas to be implemented by the employees of the state..."

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    The idea of an executive president is an excellent one.
    The president would then be given the task of picking their cabinet from the best and brightest in the country. I certainly would not restrict their choice to elected reps.
    It would be important though that the legislature approve all the nominees.
    This system would work particularly well in a small country like ours as the candidates would be able to canvass everywhere, unlike America wheree this is not possible.
    Consider the process if actually making this come to pass in this country. It would never happen in our lifetime.

A simpler solution would be to abolish the Seanad and give the powers and functions of the Seanad , together with he budget of the Seanad, to the President.

This would make the Presidency relevant, allow the President to propose or amend bills, and in general act as the peoples last defense against bad Government.

Also, this is doable in the short term.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Governments are accountable - the people can throw them out every five years. But politics and government are too serious to trivialise them by turning them into an X-Factor style "vote someone off every week" format.
    We threw out the last Government. BUT they all took their pensions with them.

What kind of punishment is that for people who brought the country to ruin?.

Quote Originally Posted by just4ever View Post
    Our present government has shown us that the present system isn't working. Is it time that we abolish the role of Taoiseach and have a President who can appoint their own cabinet from any walk of life so we can have experts rather than politicians making the crucial decisions? Opinions please.
    Providing we get a new Presidential election, I don't think the current far left incumbent would be the choice of the Irish people if the office had any real power.

I think that it's an excellent idea. Then the Leaders can't hide behind the apparatus of the party of the state, and is directly accountable to all the people of the country, and not just to his locality.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_93 View Post
    Probably. Perhaps a system whereby the president, vice president and cabinet are all on the one ticket - unlike in America where it's only the President and VP and the cabinet is undemocratically appointed afterwards. I also think it might make the decision making process more efficient - more of a consensus building approach rather than the current system whereby the opposition produces a private members motion, the gov votes it down and then comes up with a near identical version a few months later, this due to the fact that governments would not need a majority to govern.
    I agree somewhat. I think there should be an elected president every 5 years, who represents the unity of the Irish people and is the Ceann Comhairle of the Dáil. I disagree that the vice-president and cabinet should be elected with the president. I think the vice-president should be the Taoiseach who is the highest polling candidate on a national list that will be elected at the same time as the normal TDs. The cabinet would be the next 14 highest polling candidates and the Taoiseach will each give them a portfolio. There will still be normal local TDs. 1 for every 25,000 people elected using instant-runoff voting (pretty much STV, but only one TD is elected). But if for example everyone elected is a teacher, you can't have them as a the Minister of Health, the Taoiseach can request a change.
    Last edited by Eurovision2006; 5th October 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment