Register to Comment
Page 1 of 145 123 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1450
Like Tree484Likes
  1. #1
    Sailor Sailor is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    52,270

    The Competing Rights of the Mother and the Unborn Child

    The debate surrounding the legalization of abortion has been heavily concentrated on the competing right to life of the mother and her unborn child. There is general agreement that, where the rights involved concern one life versus the other, the mother's right is superior to that of the foetus. But in most, if not all cases, this right is already vindicated, though the law may lack clarity - and this needs to be addressed.

    Most abortions, however, are not performed for medical reasons and do not involve a direct conflict of the respective right to life of the mother and child. Instead they are concerned with the right to life of the child versus a lesser right on the part of the mother. And it is the issue of how we are to measure and determine a value for these various rights what needs to be considered in the context of a repeal of the 8th amendment. In other words is there a hierarchy of rights that will determine whether and when abortion will be permitted? For example, if a woman wants an abortion because she already has too many children and cannot cope with any more, will this be treated as a superior right to a woman who wants an abortion because she is too young, too busy at work, worried that it will interfere with her education or has a holiday planned?

    In summary, having recognised that most abortions do not involve a conflict in regard to the respective rights to life, how do we determine the circumstances in what would normally be considered to be lesser rights, would be deemed to be superior rights?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    gerhard dengler gerhard dengler is offline
    gerhard dengler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    42,412

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    The debate surrounding the legalization of abortion has been heavily concentrated on the competing right to life of the mother and her unborn child. There is general agreement that, where the rights involved concern one life versus the other, the mother's right is superior to that of the foetus. But in most, if not all cases, this right is already vindicated, though the law may lack clarity - and this needs to be addressed.

    Most abortions, however, are not performed for medical reasons and do not involve a direct conflict of the respective right to life of the mother and child. Instead they are concerned with the right to life of the child versus a lesser right on the part of the mother. And it is the issue of how we are to measure and determine a value for these various rights what needs to be considered in the context of a repeal of the 8th amendment. In other words is there a hierarchy of rights that will determine whether and when abortion will be permitted? For example, if a woman wants an abortion because she already has too many children and cannot cope with any more, will this be treated as a superior right to a woman who wants an abortion because she is too young, too busy at work, worried that it will interfere with her education or has a holiday planned?

    In summary, having recognised that most abortions do not involve a conflict in regard to the respective rights to life, how do we determine the circumstances in what would normally be considered to be lesser rights, would be deemed to be superior rights?
    Good post.

    In my opinion once a woman becomes a mother, then rights essentially become pooled between mother and her unborn child.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Old Mr Grouser Old Mr Grouser is offline
    Old Mr Grouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5,340

    Yes, you're right, Sailor.

    But there are umpteen Abortion threads already.


    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    statsman statsman is offline
    statsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    49,307

    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Taidhg Gaelach Taidhg Gaelach is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    11,878

    The Abortionists refuse to frame this question as an opposition of rights between two human beings. They dehumanize the infant by calling it a "foetus" and then claim there is only one right - the right of the mother to her convenience.

    Of course, this framing completely ignores the fact that the great majority of women who have abortions do so under the coercion and threat of poverty. Abortion has become a safety valve for a Capitalist system in collapse. Choice is the last thing the so called "pro-choice" movement is promoting.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Sailor Sailor is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    52,270

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    Yes, you're right, Sailor.

    But there are umpteen Abortion threads already.


    I agree - but I think the matter of the inequality of the rights at stake has been somewhat lost in the general discussion, where the case is based on medical/life issues but the objective has little to do with either.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    ted08 ted08 is offline
    ted08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,676

    Excellent OP, thought provoking and worthy of a thread in its own right away from the appeal the 8th thread. I guess the debate is, do we even go there, yes/no, and if yes, what circumstances can be legislated for/against. My question re abortion centres around, we are exporting the issue and to what degree should this not be exported.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    Taidhg Gaelach Taidhg Gaelach is offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    11,878

    Quote Originally Posted by ted08 View Post
    Excellent OP, thought provoking and worthy of a thread in its own right away from the appeal the 8th thread. I guess the debate is, do we even go there, yes/no, and if yes, what circumstances can be legislated for/against. My question re abortion centres around, we are exporting the issue and to what degree should this not be exported.
    That's a different topic to the topic of this thread. Here we are only discussing the issue of competing rights of mother and child.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    off with their heads off with their heads is offline
    off with their heads's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,629

    The blood crazed horde who marched last weekend don't care about this they want abortion as a form of contraception now god dammit
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Cruimh Cruimh is offline
    Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    93,316

    The pregnant woman is not a mother, IMO, until the baby has been delivered.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 145 123 11 51 101 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment