Register to Comment
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Unless it's in the rules that they can't accurately identify themselves as a TD why should they be fined? Are you saying they're breaking rules or that you want the rules changed?
    Upon the dissolution of the Dáil, they cease to be TDs, i.e. for the duration of the campaign and until the newly elected TDs are certified by the Clerk of the Dáíl following an election, there are no TDs in the country.

If you want them changed: Why shouldn't a TD identify themselves as such and allow their record speak for/against them?
    This isn't an unreasonable point, but if such identification could be shown to significantly re-inforce the incumbency advantage then it's also not unreasonable to question the restriction the OP proposes.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    Don't they remain TDs until the actual formation of a new government.
    Nope. DE is dissolved.

In fairness to RTE they drop the letters "TD" even for sitting Govt Ministers when their names appear on the news during election campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Upon the dissolution of the Dáil, they cease to be TDs, i.e. for the duration of the campaign and until the newly elected TDs are certified by the Clerk of the Dáíl following an election, there are no TDs in the country.

This isn't an unreasonable point, but if such identification could be shown to significantly re-inforce the incumbency advantage then it's also not unreasonable to question the restriction the OP proposes.
    Is this the case, though?

I know that, for example, in Belgium, where there was a long interregnum between governments, everything remained as was until a new government was elected.

I'd go as far as to state that I strongly doubt that any of the current 166 TDs (who are standing in this forthcoming election) would be honourable enough to drop the letters "TD" from their posters.

I know that, for example, in Belgium, where there was a long interregnum between governments, everything remained as was until a new government was elected.
    Yes, that is the case. Ministers remain minsters though, but even they cease to be TDs. However, the dissolution of the Dáil does not dissolve the Seanad and Senatorts remain Senators until after the Dáil elections.
    Last edited by Cato; 10th October 2015 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    From the 2011 GE in Dublin West
    ok now show us the rule that says they can't do that

There's a difference between a new Government being elected and a new TD being elected.

Candidates assume the letters "TD" straight after their election has been announced by the returning officer for their constituency. . . In Ireland Governments are not usually formed for some 2/3 weeks later

Quote Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
    I'd go as far as to state that I strongly doubt that any of the current 166 TDs (who are standing in this forthcoming election) would be honourable enough to drop the letters "TD" from their posters.
    Like to put a wager on that?

Quote Originally Posted by lostexpectation View Post
    ok now show us the rule that says they can't do that
    Don't you phucking get it?

THEY"RE NOT TDs. . . .Period.

They might as well state: Vote No. 1 Joe Bloggs. Brain Surgeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Like to put a wager on that?
    I'd be tempted. I'm not sure how we could go about proving who was right/wrong.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment