View Poll Results: Dáil morning prayer - should it continue or be done away with?

Voters
401. You must be logged in to vote on this poll. Please login or register.
  • Go Jesus

98 24.44%
  • No Jesus

220 54.86%
  • Marty Whelan shagged my sister

83 20.70%
Register to Comment
Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree468Likes

Morning Prayers in the Dáil - Time to Stop?

Each morning that the Dáil sits, the house is brought to quietness so the morning prayer can be recited.

In a modern liberal democracy, surely the time has come to end this practice.

Recently, Enda Kenny continued the policy of preventing the Defence Forces from engaging in religious ceremonies.
    He said it was to:

“reflect the changes that have taken place in Ireland, North and South and the importance of emphasising tolerance and a welcome for all nationalities and creeds”. “In this context it is no longer considered appropriate that the Defence Forces, an important institution of the State, should be requested to perform such a role in a religious ceremony,”
    So why should the religious ceremony that occurs at each Oireachtas sitting continue using the newly established principal Enda brought in above, one I agree with by the way.

Perhaps in its place, a simple oath of allegiance to the public good could be recited before each session in the Dáil to remind them they represent society and not a personal belief.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Each morning that the Dáil sits, the house is brought to quietness so the morning prayer can be recited.

In a modern liberal democracy, surely the time has come to end this practice.

Recently, Enda Kenny continued the policy of preventing the Defence Forces from engaging in religious ceremonies.
    He said it was to:

So why should the religious ceremony that occurs at each Oireachtas sitting continue using the newly established principal Enda brought in above, one I agree with by the way.

Perhaps in its place, a simple oath of allegiance to the public good could be recited before each session in the Dáil to remind them they represent society and not a personal belief.
    Are you so insecure in you atheism that you cannot tolerate a few prayers and feel threaten by them? They'll do you no harm!

Yes. If TDs want to sit in prayer they should do it before the house sits - outside the chamber.

I would much prefer that our so-called legislators and (and occasionally even 'leaders') refocused on what can be done via human effort and ingenuity rather than sending a signal that they are a mere cipher in the face of the supernatural.

Whatever about the individual beliefs or motivations of members of the Oireachtas who are free of course to tell themselves whatever they like about life they are supposed to be the chamber of a Republic and not a theocratic state.

If any member draws comfort from prayer let them do it before they start the day and stop this public kowtowing to a cult which does not even recognise that chamber's authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Are you so insecure in you atheism that you cannot tolerate a few prayers and feel threaten by them? They'll do you no harm!
    Not at all Sailor. I just totally oppose any public devotion to a deity on behalf of the state. And no matter how small that devotion is, I will on principal always be opposed to it.
    Not a prayer not an ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Not at all Sailor. I just totally oppose any public devotion to a deity on behalf of the state. And no matter how small that devotion is, I will on principal always be opposed to it.
    Not a prayer not an ounce.
    What harm is it doing you? Why do you feel so threatened? Doesn't bother me.

Prayers should be left at home. The national parliament taking a time out talk to magical moon fairy's is just embarassing and frankly slightly disturbing. The day of indulging god botherers needs to come to an end.

It bothers me somewhat. I don't contribute to TDs salaries and expenses for them to bother their gods in the parliamentary chamber of a supposed republic.

Religion as espoused by our state has been so damaging to Irish society. You need only look to the Tuam thread. Which I note, you have joined the ranks of the defenders.
    Removing any state linkages to the church should be an absolute priority to ensure we never go down the path of brain controlled evil reigning throughout Ireland.
    Everyday I hear the Angelus, or when I had to swear on the bible or when I read our constitution - the basis of law in this state, I am reminded of the domination the church had.
    So as a rational actor, operating under my own morals, I have taken this issue with great seriousness.

Perhaps replace it with the new 6.1 Angelus, where they would all just gaze reflectively into the distance for a few minutes.

While I'm a fan of prayer, I think the Dail should be a secular place. Religious TD's could pray in an office if they wish.

Page 1 of 71 1231151 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment