Register to Comment
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Senator claims he was offered free holiday to skip abolition vote.

Senator offered trip to skip vote - Independent.ie

LABOUR Party senator Denis Landy sensationally claims that he was last week offered a plush foreign holiday to coincide with a series of votes on the referendum to abolish the Seanad in what he believes was an attempt to defeat the Government.

A stunned Mr Landy, who has been critical of the Seanad abolition plan, said: "I was approached by an individual in Leinster House and offered flights and a stay in a top hotel in New York should I go missing during this week."

He refused to name the shadowy political figure who is said to have made the offer, but he said it was made clear to him that "the offer was made in seriousness rather than jest''.
    Now...this is incredibly serious. Regardless of the issue at hand, this is a deliberate effort to covertly influence the democratic process of the state by the offers of inducements. It is corruption. The person who offered the holiday (And the person who authorised it) should (at the very least) no longer be employed in their roles.

Running a cute story in the Indo isn't enough, Landy has an obligation to the Oireachtas (and the people of the state) to identify the person to the CC as well as the Gardai to see if any laws have been broken.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Senator offered trip to skip vote - Independent.ie

Now...this is incredibly serious. Regardless of the issue at hand, this is a deliberate effort to covertly influence the democratic process of the state by the offers of inducements. It is corruption. The person who offered the holiday (And the person who authorised it) should (at the very least) no longer be employed in their roles.

Running a cute story in the Indo isn't enough, Landy has an obligation to the Oireachtas (and the people of the state) to identify the person to the CC as well as the Gardai to see if any laws have been broken.
    I cannot understand why this is just a media tit bit, this is a very serious offence.

He's made a serious criminal allegation. He should be compelled to report it to the Gardai immediately.

This is an assault on our democracy and whomever organised this should be shamed and charged with the relevant criminal action legislation if it exists.

I can almost guess who it was.

I agree - he needs to put up or shut up. Running to the press and refusing to name names helps nobody.

He should report it to the appropriate authorities.

Hold on....this is the second time in two days I am in agreement with Sync....what the heck is going on ?

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    Hold on....this is the second time in two days I am in agreement with Sync....what the heck is going on ?
    She is getting to you Analyzer.

He should be made to name the fellow.

If the claim is true then it is very serious. In fact if he is not willing to go further with we can only conclude that he made it up and is a spoofer.

The senator has certainly put himself between the proverbial rock and a hard place, if he doesn't reveal who this individual is. You don't make allegations unless you are willing to back them up and if he doesn't this will backfire on him big time.

Someone is talking through his/her fanny.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment