Register to Comment
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 120
Like Tree35Likes
  1. #1
    Oliver Cromwell McIvor Oliver Cromwell McIvor is offline
    Oliver Cromwell McIvor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,019

    Presbyterian Churcn in Ireland gets tough with homosexuals

    "Same-sex couples are "not eligible" to be full members of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland or have their children baptised, the church’s General Assembly has concluded.

    The new policies were announced yesterday following the presentation of a report by the church's doctrine committee which stated; "in the light of our understanding of scripture and the Church’s understanding of a credible profession of faith it is clear that same sex couples are not eligible for communicant membership nor are they qualified to receive baptism for their children.

    "We believe that their outward conduct and lifestyle is at variance with a life of obedience to Christ."

    The Church’s position on marriage and human relationships was further outlined in the report which continued; "homosexual activity is not consistent with Christian discipleship since it does not accord with the will of God expressed in his moral law".

    Despite the policy, representative of the church Mark Smith has stated that the church is "not denying anyone communion, or attending worship or access to pastoral care, but rather defining what it means to be of a credible profession of faith".


    https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-36992656.html
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    46,145

    Its an ironic position for a church of the Calvinist tradition to take. Calvinism teaches "justification by faith alone", and "predestination", which means whether you get "salvation" or not is decided before you are born - in which case what you do while on earth wouldnt affect salvation.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    Oliver Cromwell McIvor Oliver Cromwell McIvor is offline
    Oliver Cromwell McIvor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,019

    Are you trying to tell me the Calvinist doctrine of predestination was concocted so batty boys could have their fun here on earth without consequences?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    46,145

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Cromwell McIvor View Post
    Are you trying to tell me the Calvinist doctrine of predestination was concocted so batty boys could have their fun here on earth without consequences?
    If there is predestination then that means salvation or not is already decided so no amount of homosexuality will affect whether someone goes to Heaven or not.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Oliver Cromwell McIvor Oliver Cromwell McIvor is offline
    Oliver Cromwell McIvor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    2,019

    Would this lead to a preponderance of homosexuals in the Presbyterian Church hence the decision to clamp down on it by the hierarchy?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Dame_Enda Dame_Enda is offline
    Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    46,145

    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Cromwell McIvor View Post
    Would this lead to a preponderance of homosexuals in the Presbyterian Church hence the decision to clamp down on it by the hierarchy?
    I dont think so (at least in NI where people are very reluctant to convert) because its genetic in my strong opinion as pointed to by twin studies.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    John Scotus John Scotus is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    335

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I dont think so (at least in NI where people are very reluctant to convert) because its genetic in my strong opinion as pointed to by twin studies.

    Twin studies have found that being Presbyterian is genetic?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    death or glory death or glory is offline
    death or glory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    14,597

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    If there is predestination then that means salvation or not is already decided so no amount of homosexuality will affect whether someone goes to Heaven or not.
    But Predestination means that God knows what you are going before you are born.
    So whether you are going to be gay or not, he knows what you are thinking and importantly what you are going to do in any given situation.

    You have free will, but he already knows what decisions you are going to take.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Ratio Et Fides Ratio Et Fides is offline
    Ratio Et Fides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32,422

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Its an ironic position for a church of the Calvinist tradition to take. Calvinism teaches "justification by faith alone", and "predestination", which means whether you get "salvation" or not is decided before you are born - in which case what you do while on earth wouldnt affect salvation.
    Calvinism teaches by people are saved through Grace through Faith but for Faith to be genuine it's fruits must show in a person's life. It's understanding of Justification by Faith is actually different from the Lutheran one, and in practice often significantly so.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Ratio Et Fides Ratio Et Fides is offline
    Ratio Et Fides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32,422

    Quote Originally Posted by death or glory View Post
    But Predestination means that God knows what you are going before you are born.
    So whether you are going to be gay or not, he knows what you are thinking and importantly what you are going to do in any given situation.

    You have free will, but he already knows what decisions you are going to take.
    Not quite DOG in this context- Read Chapter III of the Westminster Confession;

    "V. Those of mankind that are predestinated unto life, God, before the foundation of the world was laid, according to His eternal and immutable purpose, and the secret counsel and good pleasure of His will, has chosen, in Christ, unto everlasting glory,[9] out of His mere free grace and love, without any foresight of faith, or good works, or perseverance in either of them, or any other thing in the creature, as conditions, or causes moving Him thereunto;[10] and all to the praise of His glorious grace.[11]

    VI. As God has appointed the elect unto glory, so has He, by the eternal and most free purpose of His will, foreordained all the means thereunto.[12] Wherefore, they who are elected, being fallen in Adam, are redeemed by Christ,[13] are effectually called unto faith in Christ by His Spirit working in due season, are justified, adopted, sanctified,[14] and kept by His power, through faith, unto salvation.[15] Neither are any other redeemed by Christ, effectually called, justified, adopted, sanctified, and saved, but the elect only.[16]

    VII. The rest of mankind God was pleased, according to the unsearchable counsel of His own will, whereby He extends or withholds mercy, as He pleases, for the glory of His sovereign power over His creatures, to pass by; and to ordain them to dishonor and wrath for their sin, to the praised of His glorious justice.[17]"
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment