Register to Comment
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Special Designated Status For Northern Ireland in the EU.

This has been suggested by Guy Verhofstadt and would entail giving Irish passport holders a vote in future European Parliamentary Elections in Irish EU elections once the UK exits the EU.
    This is an encouraging development and will go some way to addressing the concerns of the pro EU majority here in the north, though I suspect that the reaction of the DUP to the proposal will be fairly predictable.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post
    This has been suggested by Guy Verhofstadt and would entail giving Irish passport holders a vote in future European Parliamentary Elections in Irish EU elections once the UK exits the EU.
    This is an encouraging development and will go some way to addressing the concerns of the pro EU majority here in the north, though I suspect that the reaction of the DUP to the proposal will be fairly predictable.
    I honestly do not know what the DUP will do as they need to make sure to keep their voters in the agri-food sector happy.

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    I honestly do not know what the DUP will do as they need to make sure to keep their voters in the agri-food sector happy.
    Plus they're getting extra rights, not losing their British citizenship. I don't imagine they'll be cheering from the rooftops, but I do think they'll manage to force themselves to accept somehow.

Several of the Protestant families I know (who by definition are not terribly extreme I suppose but still) took out Irish passports after the Brexit vote. At least one such example was the adult children married and settled in England who were very keen on their parents taking Irish passports out for them.

And there may well be others who haven't been as upfront about it.

Twitter
    @

Does this mean that these Irish passport holders will need to be registered in the Republic?

Will they need to physically be in the Republic to cast their vote?

In what constituency?

Or will this be a case of a postal/electronic vote?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    Does this mean that these Irish passport holders will need to be registered in the Republic?

In what constituency?

We've discussed another version of the question, about overseas voters.
    As I said in that thread, France has 11 overseas constituencies, and people vote at their embassy. NI could easily be one or more constituencies, depending on the level of representivity judged necessary (or advisable!)

In what constituency?

The proposal is still in an undeveloped state. All that would have to be worked out.
    All Irish passport holders are already registered in Dublin, in the Department of Foreign Affairs so I assume that their database would be adopted. Election procedures would probably be similar to the way that the USA conducts the vote among its ex-pat population.

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    As I said in that thread, France has 11 overseas constituencies, and people vote at their embassy. NI could easily be one or more constituencies, depending on the level of representivity judged necessary (or advisable!)
    NI cannot be considered an overseas constituency - it is part of a different country.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    NI cannot be considered an overseas constituency - it is part of a different country.
    Are you sure that's what you meant to write?

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    I was on that thread with you. This seems a bit different. It appears to call for some Irish passport holders to be more equal than others.

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post
    The proposal is still in an undeveloped state. All that would have to be worked out.
    All Irish passport holders are already registered in Dublin, in the Department of Foreign Affairs so I assume that their database would be adopted. Election procedures would probably be similar to the way that the USA conducts the vote among its ex-pat population.
    Wouldn't this have to apply to all Irish passport holders?

I was on that thread with you. This seems a bit different. It appears to call for some Irish passport holders to be more equal than others.

Wouldn't this have to apply to all Irish passport holders?
    I don't think we know any of the proposed detail yet, but my point was just that the fact of non residents voting is not that unusual and can be done in different ways, which don't necessarily require the passport holder to vote in a 26 county constituency.

ETA : What do you mean about being more equal than others BTW?
    Also, are you aware that that was the main argument against STV in the UK during that referendum, so it can be argued that it's already the case in elections in the ROI anyway?

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment