Register to Comment
Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 134
Like Tree76Likes
  1. #1
    Blacknorth Blacknorth is offline
    Blacknorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    255

    20 years ago today: murder of Sheena Campbell

    On 16th October 1992, Sheena Campbell, a law student at Queens University Belfast and active and dedicated member of Sinn Fein was sitting in the York Hotel (now Madison's) on Botanic Avenue having drinks with her friends when a Loyalist gunman walked in and shot her several times, fatally wounding her and wounding her friends. A car was later found burnt out in nearby Loyalist Sandy Row.

    There have always been claims of Security force collusion however I started this post merely to pay respects and would just like to ask people not to turn this post into an anti-SF circus. No trolls please. Earlier I attended a small candlelit vigil at the gates of QUB and 3 apparent (drunk) dissident supporters began arguing with some of the people present before shouting "there's still plenty of work to be done" as they walked away.

    R.I.P Sheena Campbell
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    Fullforward Fullforward is offline
    Fullforward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,113

    R.I.P Sheena Campbell, murdered by the crown for daring to be an Educated Fenian who got above her station.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    jdaly jdaly is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,827

    Quote Originally Posted by Fullforward View Post
    R.I.P Sheena Campbell, murdered by the crown for daring to be an Educated Fenian who got above her station.
    I do believe that her biggest crime was studying the law. She was a fine woman and a good friend.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    Cruimh Cruimh is offline
    Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    75,733

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknorth View Post

    There have always been claims of Security force collusion however I started this post merely to pay respects and would just like to ask people not to turn this post into an anti-SF circus. No trolls please.
    If you had wanted to pay respects and want no discussion then you shouldn't include politically charged content such as that about Collusion. This is after all a discussion site.

    But nobody should have been murdered. So RIP Ms Campbell.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Catalpa Catalpa is offline
    Catalpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    28,715

    RIP Sheena
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    michael-mcivor michael-mcivor is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    320

    RIP Sheena Campbell- she started the torrent strategy during elections for Sinn Fein back in the day-
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    Casualbets Casualbets is offline
    Casualbets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,859

    Quote Originally Posted by michael-mcivor View Post
    RIP Sheena Campbell- she started the torrent strategy during elections for Sinn Fein back in the day-
    What was the torrent strategy?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    harry_w harry_w is offline
    harry_w's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7,596

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacknorth View Post
    On 16th October 1992, Sheena Campbell, a law student at Queens University Belfast and active and dedicated member of Sinn Fein was sitting in the York Hotel (now Madison's) on Botanic Avenue having drinks with her friends when a Loyalist gunman walked in and shot her several times, fatally wounding her and wounding her friends. A car was later found burnt out in nearby Loyalist Sandy Row.

    There have always been claims of Security force collusion however I started this post merely to pay respects and would just like to ask people not to turn this post into an anti-SF circus. No trolls please. Earlier I attended a small candlelit vigil at the gates of QUB and 3 apparent (drunk) dissident supporters began arguing with some of the people present before shouting "there's still plenty of work to be done" as they walked away.

    R.I.P Sheena Campbell
    Sometimes it can be difficult to identify individuals whose work has an impact far beyond themselves and their immediate circumstances.

    Sheena Campbell was a very rare individual who had such an impact, far beyond herself and her immediate circumstances, and she paid dearly for it.

    Remembering Sheena Campbell | An Phoblacht
    16 October 2003 Edition
    Two years earlier, in November of 1990, Sinn Féin had found itself in the midst of a crucial by-election in the Torrent ward of Dungannon, County Tyrone. The poll had been called after former Sinn Féin Councillor and IRA Volunteer Martin McCaughey was debarred from Dungannon District Council for non-attendance of meetings. McCaughey was shot dead by the SAS a short time later in a shoot-to-kill stakeout.

    The SDLP already held two seats in the district, unionists held a third, and all were desperate to thwart the return of a Sinn Féin candidate. The SDLP even canvassed unionist voters for second preferences in an attempt to "keep Sinn Féin out".

    Against this backdrop of concentrated abuse by political opponents and lethal intimidation by state forces, it was decided that Francie Molloy should be the person to contest the seat on behalf of Sinn Féin. The monumental task might have seemed laughable had Sheena Campbell not been put in charge.

    "Martin McCaughey had just been murdered by the SAS," recalls Molloy, "and people were feeling very low. There was a real air of depression. The campaign was moving very slowly and I was asked what I thought might help. I said, 'Give me someone like Sheena Campbell'.

    "So they did. Sheena came in and took charge. She not only provided good management, her presence also freed me up so I could actively campaign myself."

    In organising Molloy's campaign, Sheena restructured Sinn Féin's entire approach towards elections and election canvassing.

    Before long, she had everyone working together professionally, in a methodical and systematic approach. She planned everybody's timetable in detail, helping workers to record their findings and complete their tasks effectively by breaking the work down into small, manageable batches. This enabled people to remain focused without feeling overwhelmed by the size of their assignments and to foster friendly competition between election workers, with each striving to account for their batch of ballots.

    More importantly, it also allowed Sinn Féin to target, fight, and account for each and every available vote.

    "She made people feel a part of things," says Molloy. "She brought them along with her and although she led by example, she always saw herself as one of the group. She was a constant inspiration."

    Sheena's plan later became known as the Torrent strategy, and it changed the way Sinn Féin approached election work forever. The system is still in use today, a lasting legacy of Sheena's insight, commitment and discipline.
    Last edited by harry_w; 17th October 2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    conservative green conservative green is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,282

    Quote Originally Posted by jdaly View Post
    I do believe that her biggest crime was studying the law. She was a fine woman and a good friend.
    Her second biggest was not realising that she'd be dug up from the grave 20 years later and used for propaganda purposes.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    jdaly jdaly is offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,827

    Quote Originally Posted by Casualbets View Post
    What was the torrent strategy?
    Keeping a register which marked voters as definite yes, maybe, or definite no. Waste no time on definite noes, little time beyond a courtesy call early on on yeses and lots of time on maybes,
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment