Register to Comment
Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

County Antrim memorial and omission of Alan Lundy.

Alan Lundy senior was murdered by the UFF in 1993. He was a member of the McCaughey/Saunders Sinn Féin Cumann, a serving member of the IRA and an ex-prisoner. He was murdered as he was working at the house of SF's Alex Maskey, he was a plasterer.

Alan's sons are also republicans, indeed Alan Lundy is in prison as I write this for his role in the parades dispute in Ardoyne. Indeed recently Alan senior's sons sought help from SF in relation to the imprisonment of Alan junior. The meeting between the pair resulted in press releases questioning each other's honesty and integrity, indeed Gerry Kelly said of Daniel Lundy that he was using the meetings to attack SF.

Unlike their father, Alan junior and his brothers are not in SF, in the eyes of SF, the Lundy brothers are political opponents of SF and these sentiments have been aired in public, however, the Lundy family was extremely shocked to find Alan Lundy's name on the new County Antrim Memorial was omitted. Belfast NGA is a SF affiliated group and the decision not to include Lundy senior's name has raised questions of alliances and air brushing of history.

OF course SF has every right to oppose their political opponents, that's the nature of the game. Over the last few years SF has rightly highlighted criminality and the besmirching of the republican name. However, it seems this omission on the newly unveiled plaque is a massive step too far and if true, reveals a very nasty path that SF seem prepared to continue to embark on. It also seems strange that Lundy's name would be omitted given the fact he was included and honoured in the book Tírghrá.

Here is the incarcerated Alan Lundy's letter to the chairman of the Belfast NGA:

Liam,

As Chairperson of National Graves Association (Belfast), I feel it is necessary to bring to your attention a matter that has caused our family undue suffering and distress.

My father, Alan Lundy, was a dedicated lifelong Republican activist. He was assassinated by a UFF death squad with the assistance of the British State on 1st May 1993, while working in the home of his friend and comrade Alex Maskey. At the time of his death he was a member of the McCaughey/Saunders Sinn Fein Cumann, and has been acknowledged at Tirghra and in Republican publications as also being an IRA Volunteer. He was also a former Republican POW.

While visiting my father’s grave, along with other family members recently, we decided to visit other graves of our patriot dead and also stopped to admire the newly erected County Antrim Memorial. To our astonishment and disgust the name of my father had been omitted. As well as the deep hurt that this has caused our family, it has also led to feelings of anger and betrayal. My father, who was a loving husband and has missed out on seeing his many grandchildren, dedicated and eventually sacrificed his life for the Republican struggle, and now NGA (Belfast) fail to see him worthy enough to have his name inscribed alongside our other patriot dead, including many of his friends and comrades from Ardoyne, The Bone and further afield.

At a recent meeting with Stormont Minister Gerry Kelly, on the separate matter of the internment of Alan’s son (also named Alan), he stated that as he viewed myself and my brother were, in his words, “political opponents of Sinn Fein” he and his party would be doing nothing to support our family in their campaign to have my brother released. As NGA (Belfast), as opposed to the nationwide National Graves Association, is led and directed by Sinn Fein members and to a Sinn Fein agenda, we have to ask does this snub now also extend to the memory of our father, husband and grandfather?

Alan Lundy, my father, was a lifelong member of the Republican Movement, as both an IRA Volunteer and Sinn Fein activist, until his assassination. To airbrush his contribution to the Republican Struggle, due to the political allegiances or lack of, of two of his sons is petty at best and purely vindictive at worst. But most of all it would a betrayal of the man himself and what he stood for, a courageous, dedicated and disciplined Republican who ultimately gave his life for his country, leaving behind his wife and five young children.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Daniel Lundy
    (Son of Alan Lundy)
    Last edited by theloner; 9th September 2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Good post.

Nice to hear this ************************ is worrying about this on daily basis from his prison cell. Hopefully he'll have many's a long night in his cell missing his daddy. W@nker.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    Good post.

Nice to hear this ************************ is worrying about this on daily basis from his prison cell. Hopefully he'll have many's a long night in his cell missing his daddy. W@nker.
    Are you like this all of the time?

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Alan Lundy senior was murdered by the UFF in 1993. He was a member of the McCaughey/Saunders Sinn Féin Cumann, a serving member of the IRA and an ex-prisoner. He was murdered as he was working at the house of SF's Alex Maskey, he was a plasterer.

Alan's sons are also republicans, indeed Alan Lundy is in prison as I write this for his role in the parades dispute in Ardoyne. Indeed recently Alan senior's sons sought help from SF in relation to the imprisonment of Alan junior. The meeting between the pair resulted in press releases questioning each other's honesty and integrity, indeed Gerry Kelly said of Daniel Lundy that he was using the meetings to attack SF.

Unlike their father, Alan junior and his brothers are not in SF, in the eyes of SF, the Lundy brothers are political opponents of SF and these sentiments have been aired in public, however, the Lundy family was extremely shocked to find Alan Lundy's name on the new County Antrim Memorial was omitted. Belfast NGA is a SF affiliated group and the decision not to include Lundy senior's name has raised questions of alliances and air brushing of history.

OF course SF has every right to oppose their political opponents, that's the nature of the game. Over the last few years SF has rightly highlighted criminality and the besmirching of the republican name. However, it seems this omission on the newly unveiled plaque is a massive step too far and if true, reveals a very nasty path that SF seem prepared to continue to embark on. It also seems strange that Lundy's name would be omitted given the fact he was included and honoured in the book Tírghrá.

Here is the incarcerated Alan Lundy's letter to the chairman of the Belfast NGA:

Liam,

As Chairperson of National Graves Association (Belfast), I feel it is necessary to bring to your attention a matter that has caused our family undue suffering and distress.

My father, Alan Lundy, was a dedicated lifelong Republican activist. He was assassinated by a UFF death squad with the assistance of the British State on 1st May 1993, while working in the home of his friend and comrade Alex Maskey. At the time of his death he was a member of the McCaughey/Saunders Sinn Fein Cumann, and has been acknowledged at Tirghra and in Republican publications as also being an IRA Volunteer. He was also a former Republican POW.

While visiting my father’s grave, along with other family members recently, we decided to visit other graves of our patriot dead and also stopped to admire the newly erected County Antrim Memorial. To our astonishment and disgust the name of my father had been omitted. As well as the deep hurt that this has caused our family, it has also led to feelings of anger and betrayal. My father, who was a loving husband and has missed out on seeing his many grandchildren, dedicated and eventually sacrificed his life for the Republican struggle, and now NGA (Belfast) fail to see him worthy enough to have his name inscribed alongside our other patriot dead, including many of his friends and comrades from Ardoyne, The Bone and further afield.

At a recent meeting with Stormont Minister Gerry Kelly, on the separate matter of the internment of Alan’s son (also named Alan), he stated that as he viewed myself and my brother were, in his words, “political opponents of Sinn Fein” he and his party would be doing nothing to support our family in their campaign to have my brother released. As NGA (Belfast), as opposed to the nationwide National Graves Association, is led and directed by Sinn Fein members and to a Sinn Fein agenda, we have to ask does this snub now also extend to the memory of our father, husband and grandfather?

Alan Lundy, my father, was a lifelong member of the Republican Movement, as both an IRA Volunteer and Sinn Fein activist, until his assassination. To airbrush his contribution to the Republican Struggle, due to the political allegiances or lack of, of two of his sons is petty at best and purely vindictive at worst. But most of all it would a betrayal of the man himself and what he stood for, a courageous, dedicated and disciplined Republican who ultimately gave his life for his country, leaving behind his wife and five young children.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this matter.

Daniel Lundy
    (Son of Alan Lundy)

This wrong needs to be righted...........end of.

Ah, this was the Alan Lundy Senior who SF at the time claimed was a civilian .......

Are you like this all of the time?
    No...only when it comes to Irish Republican criminals.

Do you defend them all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    No...only when it comes to Irish Republican criminals.

Do you defend them all the time?
    No, I don't.

Au contraire, you will find my OP is attacking republicans.

Loner will be writing soon about what a great republican Alan Ryan was .which brand of micro republican do you support Loner ?

Quote Originally Posted by vinoboy View Post
    Loner will be writing soon about what a great republican Alan Ryan was .which brand of micro republican do you support Loner ?
    Are you attempting to compartmentalise or pigeon hole me?

I'm in the 'Can't believe it's not the IRA, IRA'. And you?

No, I don't.

Au contraire, you will find my OP is attacking republicans.
    Really? You seem to be aggrieved that a Republican criminal's name has been omitted from a memorial.

Page 1 of 18 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment