Register to Comment
Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Enniskillen Bombing , 24 years today

Probably the one atrocity of the troubles that really sticks out in my mind after these years for it's barbarity and complete needlessness. The interviews with Gordon Wilson afterwards were both moving and disturbing viewing listening to him recount the final moments of his daughters life. When republicans look back on that bombing today, through everything that's transpired, whats the feeling?

The day could have been much worse though had the bomb in Tullyhommon exploded, killing children in the BB and GB.

Lest We Forget.

Last edited by Schomberg; 8th November 2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

RIP. Terrible day.

RIP.

A shameful day.

Gordon Wilson: "I bear no ill will, I bear no grudge".

Shameful.

Imagine if Gordon Wilson had said " I want revenge and I don't care who goes for it ". Too terrible to contemplate.

a most awful day, and IRA tried to blame Brits for triggering device until it was proven it was a timer they had inserted. Martin McGuinness was dispatched to enquire into it, and is supposed to have disbanded the "Unit" that did it. Will he release his "findings" and what does he know about it. I suppose he would now say that "it was murder, if the relatives think it was ".

Remember Frank McGuinness's famous piece written a few days after "We are all children of Enniskillen now"

There are a number of things that I recall of that terrible day. The amateur film footage showed the immediate devastation and appalling consequences to human life from the terrorism that plagued our country. Video cameras weren't that common in those days so this was one of the first times footage was shown instead of the usual BBC reporter standing behind a police cordon reporting on what had happened hours before. I also remember the young lad Stephen Ross who's face was blown to pieces and his head and face were in an iron cage for ages afterwards as he luckily recovered. Ronnie Hill also never came out of a coma from this bomb and his family spent 13 years caring for him in a nursing home which they set up to care for him in Holywood. Gordon Wilson always sticks out in my mind with his story about the final minutes spent with his daughter Marie, and I have never been able to comprehend his attitude and ability to forgive. There was some retaliatory terrorism for this massacre but I think that Wilson's words probably saved the country from massive bloodshed.

A truly horrendous day for Enniskillen and Northern Ireland which needlessly brought much heartache to many families.

Awful day. RIP!

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    There are a number of things that I recall of that terrible day. The amateur film footage showed the immediate devastation and appalling consequences to human life from the terrorism that plagued our country. Video cameras weren't that common in those days so this was one of the first times footage was shown instead of the usual BBC reporter standing behind a police cordon reporting on what had happened hours before. I also remember the young lad Stephen Ross who's face was blown to pieces and his head and face were in an iron cage for ages afterwards as he luckily recovered. Ronnie Hill also never came out of a coma from this bomb and his family spent 13 years caring for him in a nursing home which they set up to care for him in Holywood. Gordon Wilson always sticks out in my mind with his story about the final minutes spent with his daughter Marie, and I have never been able to comprehend his attitude and ability to forgive. There was some retaliatory terrorism for this massacre but I think that Wilson's words probably saved the country from massive bloodshed.

A truly horrendous day for Enniskillen and Northern Ireland which needlessly brought much heartache to many families.
    Their called real christians a very rare breed.

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment