Register to Comment
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

NI implications of McGuinness' embarrassment in ROI election.

Given that significantly more people in the south preferred to vote for Sean Gallagher, a man aligned with the hated Fianna Fail party and dogged by controversy this week, than McGuinness what does this say for the relevance of SF down south? It must be seen as a humiliation for Sinn Fein as even at this awful time in southern society very few have opted for the extremist route. McGuinness' penchant for lying has also been brutally exposed, not only in his continuing denials of Provo involvement but the sheer amount of propaganda he was unleashing attempting to convince people that everybody in the south loved him. Ultimately, this election has shown that Sinn Fein are a party solely concerned with theatrical posturing, rather than the day to day needs of their constituents. Not only did McGuinness abandon NI, but many other Shinner MLAs abandoned ship to and they travelled around the Republic on the propaganda trail. The whole exercise has weakened Sinn Fein. They are a laughing stock amongst unionists for their idiotic decision to stand in the first place, and nationalists will be wondering what the purpose of this stunt was in a time when the focus should be on creating jobs and getting the economy going again in Northern Ireland.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I don't believe SF ever really believed they would win the election but they're probably just trying to bring SF more into the mainstream political arena as a legitimate party. I wouldn't vote for SF even if my life depended on it, but the one good thing that came from MMG standing in the republic was it highlighted the continued hypocritical bullshyt of the southern states "good IRA, bad IRA". It provided a lot of funny moments. Roll on 2016 and let the hypocrisy get even worse!!

Despite members of SF trying to put on a brave face and call it a 'Success'' , most people in NI are calling a spade a spade and acknowledgeing it was a disaster. How they got beat by a FF aligned man is a joke, i genuinely thought they would do a lot better.

The result, and McGuinness' total failure, is a breath of fresh air for Unionists in my opinion. It at least shows that, unlike Northern Irish Nationalists/Republicans, our Republic of Ireland neighbours do not suffer from amnesia.

Yep - it has damaged MMG in NI and it hasn't done them any favours in the ROI- and I dare say it has lessened the chances of Grizzly being the 2018 candidate, assuming the ROI still exists by then.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtBilko View Post
    The result, and McGuinness' total failure, is a breath of fresh air for Unionists in my opinion. It at least shows that, unlike Northern Irish Nationalists/Republicans, our Republic of Ireland neighbours do not suffer from amnesia.
    Nice to see you endorse democracy and respect the peoples choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsEvolution View Post
    Nice to see you endorse democracy and respect the peoples choice.
    Old sins cast long shadows.

SF are still new to democracy. The pressure they are under will encourage them to move towards it.

Although it could be argued that he increased the vote and further cemented SF in the South. Also he may have drawn the sting from the Southern media for the future.

Still seems like a disappointing result for them but I suppose it depends on what the genuine aspirations were.

I agree with Schomberg that it exposed a lot of hypocrisy regarding good/bad IRA in the South.

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    Also he may have drawn the sting from the Southern media for the future.
    Yes and no - the lesson has to be that any candidate with a past will be crucified. If the media went after MMG - who has a more positive image because of his semi-frankness about his past and the kudos he gained from a surprisingly good performance as DFM what will they do the lack-lustre and shifty Adams ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Yes and no - the lesson has to be that any candidate with a past will be crucified. If the media went after MMG - who has a more positive image because of his semi-frankness about his past and the kudos he gained from a surprisingly good performance as DFM what will they do the lack-lustre and shifty Adams ?
    Adams would be taken apart and I can't see him ever running for anything more than TD.

But a young SF member with no suspected IRA membership may find the path significantly easier in the future now that this firestorm had passed.

I don't know if that's true just a thought.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment