Register to Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

We never had machetes before immigration - it was slash hooks or nothin'.
    The same goes for those damned vuvuzelas.

Coincidence? I think not.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff says Flaherty View Post
    As an example, when this was taking place , the media did not mention that the suspect came from an Arab background when releasing descriptions of the man, it was generic stuff like "man in his 20s". Then after the fact, they say he was from this background. I understand that this may be done to stop mass hysteria or panic, but I don't think it is the correct approach to selectively report on potential crimes like this

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dubli...crash-14572801
    That is a lie. It was reported at the time. There is a thread on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff says Flaherty View Post
    As an example, when this was taking place , the media did not mention that the suspect came from an Arab background when releasing descriptions of the man, it was generic stuff like "man in his 20s". Then after the fact, they say he was from this background. I understand that this may be done to stop mass hysteria or panic, but I don't think it is the correct approach to selectively report on potential crimes like this

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dubli...crash-14572801
    You're conflating 2 different reports.

1 is an appeal for information (which what your OP focused on). That should obviously be as detailed as possible based on available descriptions, white/black/arabic etc. The point is to catch the suspect.

2 is a report on an event or trial that's happening. And the Irish media's way of reporting on that tends to be "Person X, AGE, residing in Y but originating in P".

So "Tommy Smith, 32, residing in Dublin but originating from ballybruff" and "Mohammad Ali, 43, residing in Bantry but originally from Tehran".

They're not going to say Tommy's white. They're not going to say Mohammad's arabic. It's not relevant. And yes, if someone's just in for questioning, they do minimise the amount of detail they report. Because they're an innocent, uncharged person, and actually they don't want to be broadcasting Tommy's details if it's not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CatullusV View Post
    That is a lie. It was reported at the time. There is a thread on the subject.
    It's not a lie. I was reading reports on it at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    You're conflating 2 different reports.

1 is an appeal for information (which what your OP focused on). That should obviously be as detailed as possible based on available descriptions, white/black/arabic etc. The point is to catch the suspect.

2 is a report on an event or trial that's happening. And the Irish media's way of reporting on that tends to be "Person X, AGE, residing in Y but originating in P".

So "Tommy Smith, 32, residing in Dublin but originating from ballybruff" and "Mohammad Ali, 43, residing in Bantry but originally from Tehran".

They're not going to say Tommy's white. They're not going to say Mohammad's arabic. It's not relevant. And yes, if someone's just in for questioning, they do minimise the amount of detail they report. Because they're an innocent, uncharged person, and actually they don't want to be broadcasting Tommy's details if it's not needed.
    I am not conflating 2 reports, my point was clear. You have laid out 2 different scenarios.

To focus on point 1, which was my original discussion topic. I don't feel that full information is given by the media if the person isn't white, so as to minimize racist discourse in the comments section. The intentions of the media are probably good, but does this approach help in the long-term? I am not sure that it does

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment