Register to Comment
Page 1 of 1310 12311511015011001 ... LastLast
Like Tree8074Likes

Rory Best is being judged & jury-ed by the court of social media .. #notmycaptain hashtag

It seems, in the main, Mna na H'eireann are now going after Rugby as a whole, judging by this #notmycaptain hashtag .. not just Rory Best:

THE GENERAL TWITTER SEARCH for that hashtag:
    https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...ptain&src=typd

From Ms Una Mullally herself:

https://twitter.com/UnaMullally/stat...71833301159936

I can’t get past the grubbiness that lies on top of the Irish rugby team’s veneer of respectability this week. On a selfish level, it’s ruined the tournament for me, and I’m angry and disappointed. But there are much bigger issues here, to be discussed when the trial concludes.
    ( IRISH RUGBY as a whole next target?? )

Also look at the replies ..

Roisin Ingle .. the same:

https://twitter.com/roisiningle/stat...79678424981504

I am glad we put this picture on the @Irishtimes front page: Captain of the @IrishRugby team Rory Best and Ian Henderson attending that rape trial
    RORY BEST EXPLANATION .. please read before commenting if possible:

Rory Best explains reason behind attendance at trial

In my opinion - maybe it was not the best time pre a major international for rory to do this BUT regardless it is still his right to do so. Let the PROPER courts do there work with regard to the case at hand and that those involved are provided with that that is provided to all .. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. This is not for social media to rule on, but BY PROXY it seems its doing just that via Rory Best. Not good .. When will this cr*p end??

UPDATE 5/2/18 - Judge: 'The only reason' Rory Best attended rape trial was because he was asked to do so

IRELAND rugby captain Rory Best was asked to attend the rape trial of two international teammates by senior counsel, a court has heard.

The jury of nine men and three women heard he had been asked by a senior barrister to attend the hearing at Belfast Crown Court last week.

Judge Patricia Smyth said: "The only reason that Mr Rory Best was in this courtroom was because he was directed to be here by senior counsel.

"That's the reason he was here. That's the only reason. I think you should know that."
    MODS: This thread is about the treatment of Rory Best on social Media and the greater subject of what I think is certain individuals and groups getting out of hand on social media and being allowed to rule and make rulings without critiscism. Not very professional by many media people either to be using there presence on social media in this way?

So .. its not a thread about the case at hand, thats for somewhere else if thats possible!
    Last edited by robut; 5th February 2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

The irony of Irish Times journalists criticizing someone else for supposedly supporting an alleged sex offender.

It will be interesting to see how much backtracking if any there will be by Mullally & Co if the verdict is 'not guilty'.

When it comes to rape how can a persons perceived character be of any relevance?

Quote Originally Posted by midlander12 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how much backtracking if any there will be by Mullally & Co if the verdict is 'not guilty'.
    Regardless .. the claws are out and probably wont be happy now until Rory Best is dropped from the Irish Rugby team, even from Rugby all together. Career destroyed.

Will the IRFU relent if enough pressure is laid on? Similar to Kevin Myers, George Hook again?

The reaction by some to Best and Henderson has been hysterical and way over the top.

Best has given an explanation(not that he should have to) as to why he attended the court and it seems a very reasonable one to me.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercookie View Post
    I think its very unfair that the mens faces are plastered all over the newspapers while the person making the complaint is granted anonymity. They havent been found guilty of anything but whatever way the trial goes their names are mud.
    I wonder would this case go to court if the lived in D4 !

I was initially disappointed to see Best and Henderson turn up in court, but I accept Best-s explanation.

He has a civic duty to perform, and judgement should be reserved.

I felt as well that the accused were teammates and friends of his, and with the presumption of innocence, had been found guilty of nothing. They had sent disgusting texts, which deserve condemnation, but that was not direct evidence of a crime.

What would you do if a loved one was accused and found guilty of a heinous crime, which was beyond reasonable doubt, and even admitted? Would you stop loving them instantaneously? I suppose you might, if your love was based on a sham (e.g. the cases of child sex abuse in a family), but that might not always be true.

I like to think you would say "It is not for me to forgive you, but if you seek forgiveness, I will try to help you become a better person". You do not have to buy into the crime, if your honest intent to to help both victim and offender. Say, you had a son or husband accused of robbery, or even violence? Or a son or daughter who had defrauded a charity?

Not easy questions.
    Last edited by owedtojoy; 4th February 2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: "texts" not "tweets"

maybe those accused of rape and judged to be guilty before their trial, if any, should use the hashtag #metoo or something

This morning's thread on Rory's recent activities has vanished altogether from this site. I assume that this one will shortly follow!

So I'll just say that win or lose the court case, the Whatsapp posts that the tumescent rugger lads exchanged the next morning spoke volumes about their respect for the young girl with whom they had their various sexual encounters - be they consensual or otherwise - a few hours earlier.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment