Register to Comment
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Wagmore View Post
    Not on the evidence of tonight. The last bits of footage viewed the inside of his house where a prominent picture of Stalin stood on the mantlepiece
    Serious I missed that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Serious I missed that.
    Yeah-def. Shaw died in 1950. Stalin 1953. My take from it is how leftie luvvies will excuse bleedin anything if it means protecting the reputation of one of their own. Easy to see who the Weinsteins of that world felt themselves free to run riot.

" I think it would be a good thing to make everybody come before a properly-appointed board, just as they might come before the income tax commissioner, and say every five years, or every seven years, just put them there, and say, “Sir, or madam, now will you be kind enough to justify your existence?” If you’re not producing as much as you consume or perhaps a little more, then, clearly, we cannot use the big organizations of our society for the purpose of keeping you alive, because your life does not benefit us and it can’t be of very much use to yourself…. I appeal to the chemists to discover a humane gas that will kill instantly and painlessly. In short, a gentlemanly gas – deadly by all means, but humane not cruel. "

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    " I think it would be a good thing to make everybody come before a properly-appointed board, just as they might come before the income tax commissioner, and say every five years, or every seven years, just put them there, and say, “Sir, or madam, now will you be kind enough to justify your existence?” If you’re not producing as much as you consume or perhaps a little more, then, clearly, we cannot use the big organizations of our society for the purpose of keeping you alive, because your life does not benefit us and it can’t be of very much use to yourself…. I appeal to the chemists to discover a humane gas that will kill instantly and painlessly. In short, a gentlemanly gas – deadly by all means, but humane not cruel. "
    Sounds like, similar to many at the time, he was in thrall to eugenics.

Just watching Gabriel Byrne documentary on George Bernard Shaw on RTE. Typical guff. Usual suspects show up to champion the cause of one of their own...

Yeah-def. Shaw died in 1950. Stalin 1953. My take from it is how leftie luvvies will excuse bleedin anything if it means protecting the reputation of one of their own. Easy to see who the Weinsteins of that world felt themselves free to run riot.
    Good point on dates.
    Post WW2
    56 was Kruschev denouncing him.

But Stalin and Soviet system and Berlin Airlift occurred prior to Shaw's death.

Shaw? Not as satire?

Shaw was a genius. Tonnes of famous artists /musicians/composers were pro fascism or communism. WB Yeats was a supporter of the Blueshirts as well as being a big fan of Mussolini(probably secretly admired Hitler too),

Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    Shaw? Not as satire?
    Big fan of eugenics - piece was written in 1934 -and a rabid anti-semite. Not unusual for a man of that time.

Big fan of eugenics - piece was written in 1934 -and a rabid anti-semite. Not unusual for a man of that time.
    I thought he was a big jew lover. he said england should have declared war on Germany the moment they stole Einstein's violin

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment