Register to Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    Yes, the level of understanding of the protesters was reminiscent of Wolfie/Citizen Smith. "What did you know about computers? What did we need to know, to throw them out the windows?"
    The bit that irritates me is the " anti-war " tag. There's no way McCann and Comrades are actually anti-war ; they merely want a different outcome.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by former wesleyan View Post
    The bit that irritates me is the " anti-war " tag. There's no way McCann and Comrades are actually anti-war ; they merely want a different outcome.
    Did McCann not have difficulties with revenue in Dublin.

Quote Originally Posted by Orbit v2 View Post
    Just heard the documentary on one about Raytheon in Derry and the strange attack on the company by peace activists, which may have resulted in the company leaving the city. Anyone else hear it? It's a very good docu, as is the whole series.

RTÉ Radio 1: Documentary on One - The Occupation

There was a post about it at the time of the aftermath, and the trials.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/foreign...ons-state.html

It strikes me that the company may have been attracted to Derry politically at a high level, but the end result is that they left because the judicial system failed them. What do others think?
    Strange attack? You don't see the objections locals had to a munitions manufacturer setting up in Derry as part of the 'peace dividend'? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Strange attack? You don't see the objections locals had to a munitions manufacturer setting up in Derry as part of the 'peace dividend'? Really?
    It was a good program. If anything it gave too much credence to the nonsensical protest, but it put the other side out there too.

A councillor made a good point, that the Ford Motor company sells vehicles to the US army, does that mean we should boycott them, or invade their facilities and throw their computers out the windows.

Given the amount of consolidation that has taken place in the "defence" and technology industries in the US since the end of the cold war, it's not surprising to find very large companies like Raytheon, involved in many different sectors. I would have thought they were best known for radar systems. You often see their products on boats for example.

So, for me anyway, the issue would be how closely connected a particular facility is, in terms of the work they do. My understanding was, that the Derry office worked on air traffic control systems. But, one notable thing about the program was nobody who actually worked there, was interviewed afair. The idea that the Yanks would have allowed anything remotely connected to weapons systems be developed at that site, only compounds the ludicrousness of the whole episode.

To me also, McCann didn't come out of it well. I really laughed at the idea of them searching for the "mainframe computer" as if destroying that was going to damage the company in any significant way, and his breezy admission that you don't need to know much about computers to throw them out the window. The conversation he had with his partner during the episode about it not being a great idea if both of them would end up in jail - would you not have that conversation before hand? Also, his incredulous wonder at the police who took the incident extremely seriously, that they might be armed etc, gave me the impression the whole thing was a merry, though destructive, jape for them.

<edit>
    Also, the trial was very interesting. Some might be interested to know that Joe Brolly (wearing his barrister’s hat) defended the activists. He was interviewed on the program and gave a passable defence of them - and well he might, since he won the case. I thought the evidence that was allowed was very strange, and there didn’t appear to be any questioning of the actual nature of the link between Raytheon as an “arms manufacturer” and their activities in Derry. The program seemed to be heaping the blame on an executive from London, who it sounded to me, was treated unfairly.

But, major feather in Brolly’s cap, as a professional lawyer. Though, I do wonder what he really thought about his clients in that case
    Last edited by Orbit v2; 28th November 2017 at 10:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment