Register to Comment
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Excellent OP btw but when I saw the "Farrow &" in the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about house decoration.
    Next week, I promise to do an in-depth examination of the behaviour of the Dulux dog. Prepare to be shocked(if it ever sees the light of day that is. I may need Farrow/Allen/Sinatra to get it published)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    Next week, I promise to do an in-depth examination of the behaviour of the Dulux dog. Prepare to be shocked(if it ever sees the light of day that is. I may need Farrow/Allen/Sinatra to get it published)
    Cas never had you down as a dogger.

A handy summary of the case exposed by Farrow and how it came about is here:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/...in-report-rape

It's an intriguing question and not just for P.ie(but most certainly including it!)

There was, by all accounts, some media/forums that were reluctant to report on this particular revelation of Farrow's, that is the Harvey Wienstein case of course. Again, I wonder why that would be at all, and whether the story wouldn't have been published at all if it were a less connected person who wrote it. Going back to the OP, why would, in this day and age of virtually instant news, some sources run from a story that was front page in The Guardian and many others?
    I actually think the reason this has been able to come out now is the sea change as a result of social media. I was going to elaborate on this in my original thread as my OP made clear that it was the context in which these allegations arose rather than the actual allegations themselves which interested me.

Anyone with half a brain and a bit of life experience knows that this sort of thing goes on all the time and not just in Hollywood. And by sort of thing, I don't just mean of a sexual nature but of the bullying aspects involved where authority is abused.

What kept the church so powerful for so long? Secrecy, but secrecy can't thrive in a world where everyone is connected 24/7, where borders and time zones are irrelevant and where newspapers are behind the the gossip mongers on the internet.

So in answer to your questions:

There is still a role, in the internet age, for old fashioned investigative reporting but surely the leads can come from gossip on the internet in as much as they came from old fashioned gossip in an earlier age.

What influences a particular news organisation to carry a story has always been hard facts, those willing to vouch for them and enough clout to carry the story without it being buried.

Are there particular forces at play in organisations when the subject of the story is a high profile one? Of course, but the balance of power has shifted due to social media and the internet.

It's a numbers game, you can't sue millions of people but the law hasn't caught up with it yet, even if reality has.

So those who recoil from publishing a story are labouring under the illusion that the old rules in relation to publishing and information still apply when in practice they are unworkable.
    Last edited by redhead; 12th October 2017 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    I actually think the reason this has been able to come out now is the sea change as a result of social media. I was going to elaborate on this in my original thread as my OP made clear that it was the context in which these allegations arose rather than the actual allegations themselves which interested me.

Anyone with half a brain and a bit of life experience knows that this sort of thing goes on all the time and not just in Hollywood. And by sort of thing, I don't just mean of a sexual nature but of the bullying aspects involved where authority is abused.

What kept the church so powerful for so long? Secrecy, but secrecy can't thrive in a world where everyone is connected 24/7, where borders and time zones are irrelevant and where newspapers are behind the the gossip mongers on the internet.

So in answer to your questions:

There is still a role, in the internet age, for old fashioned investigative reporting but surely the leads can come from gossip on the internet in as much as they came from old fashioned gossip in an earlier age.

What influences a particular news organisation to carry a story has always been hard facts, those willing to vouch for them and enough clout to carry the story without it being buried.

Are there particular forces at play in organisations when the subject of the story is a high profile one? Of course, but the balance of power has shifted due to social media. It's a numbers game, you can't sue millions of people.
    I think that post should be stuck on the home page forever.

A particular set of factors influenced both the exposure of this story (brave women, a powerful reporter with access to all levels of political and celebrity power) and the fact that certain organisations tried to run away from it (NBC, The New York Times and others more local). There's no reason to doubt that those circumstances won't repeat themselves. Some stories will get through, others will take longer.

When will we get to the truth of the child abuse allegations and pedophile rings, concerning Hollywood?

If it involves his human co-star then the shock may not be as unexpected as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Nelson View Post
    When will we get to the truth of the child abuse allegations and pedophile rings, concerning Hollywood?
    In time.

Quote Originally Posted by gracethepirate View Post
    If it involves his human co-star then the shock may not be as unexpected as you think.
    It involves brushes, rollers and at least two (named) squirrels. Disgusting stuff.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment