Register to Comment
Page 131 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1428
Like Tree971Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    If you read the rest of her comments you will see she continues that she is not blaming all victims. She is arguing for women to take precautions to reduce the risk of rape happening. There are sometimes wires crossed.
    women must take blame ????
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by LISTOWEL MAN View Post
    women must take blame ????
    I said "she is arguing".

I do think that there are clear cut cases where a man should know the answer is no. But where both parties are drunk and are unsure afterwards how sex happened, then why should blame only attach to the man?

I said "she is arguing".

I do think that there are clear cut cases where a man should know the answer is no. But where both parties are drunk and are unsure afterwards how sex happened, then why should blame only attach to the man?
    Lansbury is a has-been

she should just STFU

NBC paid out severance to staffer who accused Chris Matthews of sexual harassment | TheHill

It seems though that the allegations only centred around words she accused him of saying. Do p.iers agree there is a big difference being words and actions?

NBC paid out severance to staffer who accused Chris Matthews of sexual harassment | TheHill

It seems though that the allegations only centred around words she accused him of saying. Do p.iers agree there is a big difference being words and actions?
    Being abused and demeaned personally is a very, very unpleasant experience, especially if it is done by a powerful figure in the organisation you work for. The scars can last for years, and mental scars can last longer than physical ones.

Based on the scant information, it is hard to form a judgement if the Network handled the case appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    Being abused and demeaned personally is a very, very unpleasant experience, especially if it is done by a powerful figure in the organisation you work for. The scars can last for years, and mental scars can last longer than physical ones.

Based on the scant information, it is hard to form a judgement if the Network handled the case appropriately.
    But some remarks can constitute mere slagging, and it just isnt comparable to rape. But the term "sexual harrassment" groups everything together as if they are all of equal gravity, which just isnt true. We need to consider abolition of the use of the term "sexual harrassment" and instead using more specific language e.g. verbal bullying or sexual assault. That way we dont imply people who slag off others are on the same level of malice as sexual assaulters.

But some remarks can constitute mere slagging, and it just isnt comparable to rape. But the term "sexual harrassment" groups everything together as if they are all of equal gravity, which just isnt true. We need to consider abolition of the use of the term "sexual harrassment" and instead using more specific language e.g. verbal bullying or sexual assault. That way we dont imply people who slag off others are on the same level of malice as sexual assaulters.
    It is all about context. We can recall instances when "slagging" merged into verbal bullying and demeaning abuse.

And if the slagged person is less powerful than the slagger, often their silence can be misconstrued as buying into the slag.

Much safer, and proper, to start with equal dignity and respect applied to everyone. I am all for witty takedowns or verbal zingers, as long as it does not topple into demeaning abuse and disrespect.

I am against verbal bullying of any sort, but verbal sexual insult is particularly bad since our gender and our sexual nature is very much part of how we see ourselves as people, as much as our race or religion. So I would never give a pass to sexual taunts of any sort.

Also, sexual taunting is very much on the continuum of misogyny or homophobia that has physical assault as its worst manifestation. As someone pointed out, they are all cancers, only at different stages.

The Weinstein Effect has moved from HARVEYWOOD, across the mountain to Burbank !!!!!!

Twitter
    @

Now we have Minnie Driver saying that all abuse is equally bad. Winking at a girl is as bad as raping her.

Started with Matt Damon saying there were degrees of abuse and badness - most of us and the criminal justice system would agree with that.

But Ms Driver lams into him -

“That’s a problem,” Driver continued. “If good men like Matt Damon are thinking like that then we’re in a lot of ************************************g trouble. We need good intelligent men to say this is all bad across the board, condemn it all and start again.”

Driver argued that men should not be granted the power to interpret abuse inflicted on women without the risk of redoubling an injustice they can scarcely understand.

“I felt that what Matt Damon was saying was an Orwellian idea, we are all equal except that some us are more equal than others,” she said. “Put abuse in there … that all abuse is equal but some is worse.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...derstand-abuse

So next time a woman flashes her t*ts at me, in a form of sexual harrassment designed to take it further, my PC-correct reply is to take her number and call the police?

Flashing is bad taste, but surely a zillion times better than rape?

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    Now we have Minnie Driver saying that all abuse is equally bad. Winking at a girl is as bad as raping her.

Started with Matt Damon saying there were degrees of abuse and badness - most of us and the criminal justice system would agree with that.

But Ms Driver lams into him -

“That’s a problem,” Driver continued. “If good men like Matt Damon are thinking like that then we’re in a lot of ************************************g trouble. We need good intelligent men to say this is all bad across the board, condemn it all and start again.”

Driver argued that men should not be granted the power to interpret abuse inflicted on women without the risk of redoubling an injustice they can scarcely understand.

“I felt that what Matt Damon was saying was an Orwellian idea, we are all equal except that some us are more equal than others,” she said. “Put abuse in there … that all abuse is equal but some is worse.”

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...derstand-abuse

So next time a woman flashes her t*ts at me, in a form of sexual harrassment designed to take it further, my PC-correct reply is to take her number and call the police?

Flashing is bad taste, but surely a zillion times better than rape?
    Minnie Driver used to go out with him and only realised they 'broke up' when he said it on Oprah Winfrey's show, so there's a bit of bad blood there.

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment