Register to Comment
Page 131 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1316
Like Tree908Likes

Quote Originally Posted by redhead View Post
    Well, you have to have a sense of humour to get it.
    I thought an absence of a sense of humour was required when watching the perennially unfunny Gervais. Guy made his whole career on the back of doing a stupid dance. Fair play to Gervais for making so much out of it though.

In fairness at least Mel (no matter his piggish behaviour) has been in some great films and has a lot of talent both on and behind the screen.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Murder She Wrote blames the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Degeneration X View Post

Murder She Wrote blames the victims.
    I always thought she was the the real murderer - everywhere she went - someone ended up dead. Cabot cove was a lovely place before her and her typewriter moved in.

Thejournal.ie has a story where John Oliver of The Daily Show confronting Dustin Hoffman over groping allegations from 40 years ago.

I recently had a conversation with someone (a woman) who mentioned to me that when she was working decades ago, it was common for both male and female coworkers to engage in horseplay, including being touched up. I asked her was she offended by it and she said no it was seen as a bit of fun. So I wonder if - regarding the accusations of minor sexual misconduct or getting the wrong idea - if its fair to judge the 1970s by the standards of the 21st century? I think a lot of this is a cultural backlash by Puritan elements in the US and UK against the sexual revolution. In the US politicians are constantly forced out of office for having affairs (remember James E McGreevy the Democratic governor?). This was also the case during the John Major government (it turned out he too had an affair with Edwina Currie - hypocrisy?), but under the Blair and Brown govts a more liberal attitude prevailed e.g. John Prescott didn't have to resign over an affair with a staffer. So I wonder how much of the current backlash - while couched in the language of "sexism" - is actually part of a rightwing social backlash against the sexual revolution? I am referring to the minor allegations, not the rape allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Thejournal.ie has a story where John Oliver of The Daily Show confronting Dustin Hoffman over groping allegations from 40 years ago.

I recently had a conversation with someone (a woman) who mentioned to me that when she was working decades ago, it was common for both male and female coworkers to engage in horseplay, including being touched up. I asked her was she offended by it and she said no it was seen as a bit of fun. So I wonder if - regarding the accusations of minor sexual misconduct or getting the wrong idea - if its fair to judge the 1970s by the standards of the 21st century? I think a lot of this is a cultural backlash by Puritan elements in the US and UK against the sexual revolution. In the US politicians are constantly forced out of office for having affairs (remember James E McGreevy the Democratic governor?). This was also the case during the John Major government (it turned out he too had an affair with Edwina Currie - hypocrisy?), but under the Blair and Brown govts a more liberal attitude prevailed e.g. John Prescott didn't have to resign over an affair with a staffer. So I wonder how much of the current backlash - while couched in the language of "sexism" - is actually part of a rightwing social backlash against the sexual revolution? I am referring to the minor allegations, not the rape allegations.
    Did John Oliver Hijack Dustin Hoffman in a Public Forum with out prior warning ?

I saw a little of it on the BBC (I think anyway ) . Did John Oliver bring this up out of the Blue ? Oliver said something (the audio was not good ) about the allegations and Hoffman said ; Well do you believe her ? Oliver basically said he did coz why would she say such a thing . In real life there could be many reasons why people say stuff . The Police authorities and courts of law are the places for this stuff to be examined not some jumped up tv presenter perhaps trying to make a name for himself .

Twitter
    @

There's a degree of over-reaction now in all the media.

On the one hand, the totally blameless Christine Keeler is lamented by the media, so they can put that pic of her straddling a chair in her nip...

Christine Keeler: A story of sex, intrigue and espionage which rocked the British establishment | Irish Examiner

On the other hand, critics of Moma in NYC are all het up about pic of a fully clothed girl by Balthus - "thousands" have signed a petition in a country with 300m people....

Met Forced to Defend Painting of Girl in Provocative Pose

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post

I recently had a conversation with someone (a woman) who mentioned to me that when she was working decades ago, it was common for both male and female coworkers to engage in horseplay, including being touched up. I asked her was she offended by it and she said no it was seen as a bit of fun. So I wonder if - regarding the accusations of minor sexual misconduct or getting the wrong idea - if its fair to judge the 1970s by the standards of the 21st century?
    I married my wife in the mid to late 1970s so we are both familiar with the era. My wife didn't see it as fun, and I witnessed young women being groped by senior men in the office I worked in and it was obvious that they didn't either. Your informant seems to be an exception, and rather weird as well.
    It went on and it was 'accepted' at the time but only a relatively small minority of men tried it on with the girls in the office. They were usually 'jack the lad' types, brash, cheeky and extrovert, and often good-looking, and of course more senior, and got away with it even though it was obviously wrong. I wouldn't have done it, and knew it was wrong and also just unfair and abusive. I didn't think then that it would later lead to jail sentences though, at least not in the 1970s. By the time the 90s had arrived everybody knew that it was potentially sackable, and it had stopped by then, with the exception of a few dinosaurs. They got their comeuppance.
    Last edited by raetsel; 14th December 2017 at 03:06 AM.

Salma Hayek the latest to come out against Weinstein!

nominees are going to wear black at the 2018 Golden Globe awards

it will be a protest to sex harassment in Hollywood

Golden Globes 2018: Actresses will wear black to protest harassment | EW.com

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment