Register to Comment
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 188
Like Tree115Likes
  1. #11
    Nedz Newt Nedz Newt is offline
    Nedz Newt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,610

    Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    That is the market for ya , various women have gotten chances to present shows on Newstalk but they have either jumped ship to another station or the have not been able to hold an audience.

    They need to put in people that are going to bring in listeners and revenue.

    The gender is irrelevant as long as they do that.

    At the launch of Newstalk new lines up's last month there were 3 senior management staff present , all female , all would have had an input in selecting presenters , do you think they choose on sexist grounds or purely business?
    The market indeed.
    Newstalk gambled big on bringing in Pat Kenny, and with him his RTE audience.
    Result?
    Utter failure, the audience stays put, with a broadcaster on a fraction of Kenny's bloated pay.
    And Kenny, without the backing of RTE resources, is exposed as a pretty threadbare broadcaster.
    Mysteriously, he still has a job...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #12
    amist4 amist4 is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,067

    Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    During peak listening hours (7am to 7pm, Monday to Friday) it appears now that there won't be any female presenting on the Newstalk radio station.

    Nope, not one.

    RTE Radio 1 for example has 4 women on air, RnaG has 8 female presenters during that time.

    What in earth is going on at Newstalk that female voices are being avoided during peak listening hours?

    When thejournal.ie inquired, Newstalk wouldn't supply a comment. Seems very odd indeed surely?

    'You won't hear a woman's voice, and it's not acceptable': What are Irish radio stations doing about gender balance?
    If a smoking monkey playing the bongos brought in more listeners than a man or a woman - the monkey would OWN the gig with everyones blessing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #13
    constitutionus constitutionus is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    31,198

    newstalk is a comercial station.

    and the talent they've put up wasnt up to the mark.

    simple as that.

    theyve TRIED over the years, good god theyve tried, but their HR dept just doesnt seem capable of finding decent female presenters.

    personally i put it down to them continually relying on journo types instead of - you know- broadcasters.

    but its not like their the only ones. half of RTEs best -male or female- came from the pirate sector. and its been downhill ever since that got wiped out.

    hence the keelin shanlys of the world coming to the fore there.

    personally i think talk radio is in a crisis. half the blokes on radio are unlistenable twits too. with the downward curve going the way it is it'll be all chris donogues and paul williams within a decade.

    be afraid people !
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #14
    odie1kanobe odie1kanobe is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    31,912

    Perhaps if they learned to stop talking for a minute people would listen.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #15
    Betson Betson is offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    12,450

    Quote Originally Posted by Nedz Newt View Post
    The market indeed.
    Newstalk gambled big on bringing in Pat Kenny, and with him his RTE audience.
    Result?
    Utter failure, the audience stays put, with a broadcaster on a fraction of Kenny's bloated pay.
    And Kenny, without the backing of RTE resources, is exposed as a pretty threadbare broadcaster.
    Mysteriously, he still has a job...
    Yes they gambled on Kenny and got burnt.

    But they make decisions on commercial reasons and no other , do you really think the management sit around every day thinking about how they will silence women , like hell they do. The only thing that interests them is who is likely to bring in the most revenue. Their own jobs depend on that.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #16
    jmcc jmcc is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    43,377

    Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
    personally i think talk radio is in a crisis.
    Essentially, it is losing its audience due to the rise of smart phones and Social Media. Most people probably only hear a radio station when in some shop or or some car or bus. Apart from that, the traditional radio audience is aging and there is a lot of competition for that diminishing share of the market that listens to talk radio. National talk radio channels seem to be struggling but local radio stations with a more varied schedule seem to be doing better. Perhaps the main problem for Newstalk and RTE One and RTE One and a Half is that they are perceived, outside of the Pale, to be irrelevant Dublin stations.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #17
    Nedz Newt Nedz Newt is offline
    Nedz Newt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3,610

    Quote Originally Posted by constitutionus View Post
    newstalk is a comercial station.

    and the talent they've put up wasnt up to the mark.

    simple as that.

    theyve TRIED over the years, good god theyve tried, but their HR dept just doesnt seem capable of finding decent female presenters.

    personally i put it down to them continually relying on journo types instead of - you know- broadcasters.

    but its not like their the only ones. half of RTEs best -male or female- came from the pirate sector. and its been downhill ever since that got wiped out.

    hence the keelin shanlys of the world coming to the fore there.

    personally i think talk radio is in a crisis. half the blokes on radio are unlistenable twits too. with the downward curve going the way it is it'll be all chris donogues and paul williams within a decade.

    be afraid people !
    Thing is, it's more than half...yet they keep their jobs.
    Every time Williams tries to frame a sentence he'd put you in mind of a woodpecker complaining about a cut in his pension as the social welfare hatch was being closed on him. (I'm convinced it's not a stammer, I wouldn't mock that - he's a gibbering idiot)
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #18
    Wagmore Wagmore is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    5,577

    Yeah-it's nothing to do with wobbly bits. I find the women chosen to take the mic in Irish radio incredibly boring. The men? Generally, only a little less so. Claire Byrne is an exception but Marion, Keelin, Miriam, that one that does the week in politics, the one that just got bumped on Newstalk, most of them are boring as bleedin bejayzuzzz.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #19
    odie1kanobe odie1kanobe is offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    31,912

    If Newstalk find a way to silence women they could patent it, people would buy it.................. well married men would.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #20
    The Eagle of the Ninth The Eagle of the Ninth is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    58,570

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Essentially, it is losing its audience due to the rise of smart phones and Social Media. Most people probably only hear a radio station when in some shop or or some car or bus. Apart from that, the traditional radio audience is aging and there is a lot of competition for that diminishing share of the market that listens to talk radio. National talk radio channels seem to be struggling but local radio stations with a more varied schedule seem to be doing better. Perhaps the main problem for Newstalk and RTE One and RTE One and a Half is that they are perceived, outside of the Pale, to be irrelevant Dublin stations.
    Plus one. I sometimes wonder who the old farts are on here who pay so much attention to Vinnie and the Late, late ...
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment