Register to Comment
Page 1 of 539 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Like Tree3791Likes

George Hook, rape, victim blaming (?) and trouble at Newstalk

It seems that George Hook made some comments on air, which have resulted in him being accused of blaming a rape victim.

It seems that he said that the person who raped her is a scumbag , but he also discussed "responsibility of women".

Fellow Newstalker, Chris Donoghue, has tweeted that "someone needs to go to town on hook. It's disgusting."

Donoghue recently got removed from his radio show and replaced by Ivan Yates, and now has a different role at Newstalk.

Who is right? Is either?

'It's disgusting' - Newstalk's Chris Donoghue slams George Hook over 'outrageous and offensive' rape remarks - Independent.ie

Update - audio available, below. About 8 or so minutes in...

http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/...h_Noon_Part_1/
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 9th September 2017 at 10:54 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

sounds like the typical witch hunt trying to manufacture offense. what gets labelled as "victim blaming" is really advice to others about how to stay safe in future. If I tell my daughter to not to get drunk at parties because its not safe, someone will turn that around and say if someone was drunk and raped is that her fault...fk off!

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    sounds like the typical witch hunt trying to manufacture offense. what gets labelled as "victim blaming" is really advice to others about how to stay safe in future. If I tell my daughter to not to get drunk at parties because its not safe, someone will turn that around and say if someone was drunk and raped is that her fault...fk off!

Would you have a similar conversation with your son?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Would you have a similar conversation with your son?
    different tack, Ill probably at least tell him to look into false rape and be defensive and stay away from crazy

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    I started reading the story in full expectation of at least half agreeing with you. But now, having read it, it seems to me that Hook's remarks were utterly inappropriate.

A woman has casual sex with one man. Hook appears to be saying that she shouldn't be surprised when another man comes into the room afterwards and rapes her, and that somehow she showed contributory negligence for the rape by having chosen to have sex with a different man.

If you can't see what's wrong here, then I suggest you take a good look at yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    It seems that George Hook made some comments on air, which have resulted in him being accused of blaming a rape victim.

It seems that he said that the person who raped her is a scumbag , but he also discussed "responsibility of women".

Fellow Newstalker, Chris Donoghue, has tweeted that "someone needs to go to town on hook. It's disgusting."

Donoghue recently got removed from his radio show and replaced by Ivan Yates, and now has a different role at Newstalk.

Who is right? Is either?

'It's disgusting' - Newstalk's Chris Donoghue slams George Hook over 'outrageous and offensive' rape remarks - Independent.ie
    Total and complete Ars*eHoles one and all. They make their own publicity. Pigswill, get rid of them all.

Hook's views are deplorable and from another time but that's what you get when you stick a man from another time on the air. This has been well known for years so shouldn't be coming as a shock to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I started reading the story in full expectation of at least half agreeing with you. But now, having read it, it seems to me that Hook's remarks were utterly inappropriate.

A woman has casual sex with one man. Hook appears to be saying that she shouldn't be surprised when another man comes into the room afterwards and rapes her, and that somehow she showed contributory negligence for the rape by having chosen to have sex with a different man.

If you can't see what's wrong here, then I suggest you take a good look at yourself.
    I didnt read it , just betting that whatever he said has has been twisted somewhat, if someone can link what he said on air, Ill give it a listen, not reading the article though. Even if he was out of order, the principle stands

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post

His mistake was in conflating casual sex with rape. There is a valid discussion to be had about the casualisation of sex, but to attempt to link this with rape was stupid. I suspect he will pay a heavy price, but whether that will be for his comments on casual sex or his linking it to rape will never be clear.

The funny part is Chrissy having a go at Georgy. A snowflake vs a fossil..

Page 1 of 539 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment