Register to Comment
Page 1 of 539 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 5384
Like Tree3791Likes
  1. #1
    ShoutingIsLeadership ShoutingIsLeadership is offline
    ShoutingIsLeadership's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,955

    George Hook, rape, victim blaming (?) and trouble at Newstalk

    It seems that George Hook made some comments on air, which have resulted in him being accused of blaming a rape victim.

    It seems that he said that the person who raped her is a scumbag , but he also discussed "responsibility of women".

    Fellow Newstalker, Chris Donoghue, has tweeted that "someone needs to go to town on hook. It's disgusting."

    Donoghue recently got removed from his radio show and replaced by Ivan Yates, and now has a different role at Newstalk.

    Who is right? Is either?

    'It's disgusting' - Newstalk's Chris Donoghue slams George Hook over 'outrageous and offensive' rape remarks - Independent.ie


    Update - audio available, below. About 8 or so minutes in...


    http://www.newstalk.com/listen_back/...h_Noon_Part_1/
    Last edited by ShoutingIsLeadership; 9th September 2017 at 10:54 AM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  2. #2
    silverharp silverharp is offline
    silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    12,662

    sounds like the typical witch hunt trying to manufacture offense. what gets labelled as "victim blaming" is really advice to others about how to stay safe in future. If I tell my daughter to not to get drunk at parties because its not safe, someone will turn that around and say if someone was drunk and raped is that her fault...fk off!
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  3. #3
    ShoutingIsLeadership ShoutingIsLeadership is offline
    ShoutingIsLeadership's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,955

    Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    sounds like the typical witch hunt trying to manufacture offense. what gets labelled as "victim blaming" is really advice to others about how to stay safe in future. If I tell my daughter to not to get drunk at parties because its not safe, someone will turn that around and say if someone was drunk and raped is that her fault...fk off!


    Would you have a similar conversation with your son?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  4. #4
    silverharp silverharp is offline
    silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    12,662

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Would you have a similar conversation with your son?
    different tack, Ill probably at least tell him to look into false rape and be defensive and stay away from crazy
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  5. #5
    Toland Toland is offline
    Toland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    71,056

    Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    sounds like the typical witch hunt trying to manufacture offense. what gets labelled as "victim blaming" is really advice to others about how to stay safe in future. If I tell my daughter to not to get drunk at parties because its not safe, someone will turn that around and say if someone was drunk and raped is that her fault...fk off!
    I started reading the story in full expectation of at least half agreeing with you. But now, having read it, it seems to me that Hook's remarks were utterly inappropriate.

    A woman has casual sex with one man. Hook appears to be saying that she shouldn't be surprised when another man comes into the room afterwards and rapes her, and that somehow she showed contributory negligence for the rape by having chosen to have sex with a different man.

    If you can't see what's wrong here, then I suggest you take a good look at yourself.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  6. #6
    Notachipanoaktree Notachipanoaktree is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,200

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    It seems that George Hook made some comments on air, which have resulted in him being accused of blaming a rape victim.

    It seems that he said that the person who raped her is a scumbag , but he also discussed "responsibility of women".

    Fellow Newstalker, Chris Donoghue, has tweeted that "someone needs to go to town on hook. It's disgusting."

    Donoghue recently got removed from his radio show and replaced by Ivan Yates, and now has a different role at Newstalk.

    Who is right? Is either?

    'It's disgusting' - Newstalk's Chris Donoghue slams George Hook over 'outrageous and offensive' rape remarks - Independent.ie
    Total and complete Ars*eHoles one and all. They make their own publicity. Pigswill, get rid of them all.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  7. #7
    ruserious ruserious is offline
    ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    29,764

    Hook's views are deplorable and from another time but that's what you get when you stick a man from another time on the air. This has been well known for years so shouldn't be coming as a shock to anyone.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  8. #8
    silverharp silverharp is offline
    silverharp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    12,662

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I started reading the story in full expectation of at least half agreeing with you. But now, having read it, it seems to me that Hook's remarks were utterly inappropriate.

    A woman has casual sex with one man. Hook appears to be saying that she shouldn't be surprised when another man comes into the room afterwards and rapes her, and that somehow she showed contributory negligence for the rape by having chosen to have sex with a different man.

    If you can't see what's wrong here, then I suggest you take a good look at yourself.
    I didnt read it , just betting that whatever he said has has been twisted somewhat, if someone can link what he said on air, Ill give it a listen, not reading the article though. Even if he was out of order, the principle stands
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  9. #9
    Sailor Sailor is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    56,726

    Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    I started reading the story in full expectation of at least half agreeing with you. But now, having read it, it seems to me that Hook's remarks were utterly inappropriate.

    A woman has casual sex with one man. Hook appears to be saying that she shouldn't be surprised when another man comes into the room afterwards and rapes her, and that somehow she showed contributory negligence for the rape by having chosen to have sex with a different man.

    If you can't see what's wrong here, then I suggest you take a good look at yourself.
    His mistake was in conflating casual sex with rape. There is a valid discussion to be had about the casualisation of sex, but to attempt to link this with rape was stupid. I suspect he will pay a heavy price, but whether that will be for his comments on casual sex or his linking it to rape will never be clear.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

  10. #10
    Vega1447 Vega1447 is offline
    Vega1447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,987

    The funny part is Chrissy having a go at Georgy. A snowflake vs a fossil..
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Page 1 of 539 1231151101501 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment