Register to Comment
Page 89 of 539 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Like Tree3791Likes

Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan, George Hook and Nora Wall

Quote Originally Posted by Nedz Newt View Post
    Hook is a nasty bit of goods, but will likely retain his position given the culture of Newstalk. Nothing will sum up that culture better than his retention.
    Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan has condemned George Hook, called his comments "dangerous and disrespectful and said they should be withdrawn. This is what Charlie Flanagan had to say in 2009 about a former nun Nora Wall who was falsely accused of raping a child. In 2016 when I quoted his words, Flanagan was Minister for Foreign Affairs and had previously been Minister for Children! I am quoting from a thread on Nora Wall
    Nora Wall Claims Damages against State for False Rape Conviction

The SECOND politician who slandered Nora Wall is Charles Flanagan, also Fine Gael, also a man who has held ministerial posts (currently Minister for Foreign Affairs and previously Minister for Children)! This is part of what he said on 8 July 2009 during the debate on the Institutional Abuse Bill
    Dáil Éireann - 08/Jul/2009 Institutional Child Abuse Bill 2009: Second Stage (Resumed)

While I do not have time to speak in detail about the Louise O’Keeffe case, I wish to speak about another woman, namely, Nora Wall. Nora Wall has hardly been mentioned in the debate on the Ryan report. She became something of a heroine for those who mistrust the Irish courts when her conviction for rape was overturned in 1999. Since her conviction was overturned, she has been portrayed as an heroic martyr in many quarters with references to witch hunts and witch trials abounding. Six weeks ago, the columnist Kevin Myers wrote in a national newspaper:

"The liberal-left lynch mob that went after poor Nora Wall a decade ago was prepared to destroy her life on the basis of lies."

Mr. Myers would do well to read the description of “poor Nora Wall” in the Ryan report. Nora Wall does not deserve the plaudits that have been directed her way since her conviction for rape was overturned. While her case may have collapsed, the Ryan report reveals graphically that Nora Wall was no saint. She exposed the children in her care to unacceptable risks by allowing male outsiders to stay overnight at the Cappoquin care centre which was in her charge. She entertained past pupils and student priests in the home and allowed them to stay overnight. A witness stated that much drinking took place at these gatherings.

There is more to this than meets the eye in respect of these social events. It has been suggested that there were frequent visits to the Cappoquin home by some clergy from Mount Melleray Abbey. Access to children may have been a key motivation for these visits. One must bear in mind that Mount Melleray was selected by the notorious paedophile, Fr. Brendan Smith, as a holiday destination or as a haven to which to escape when he was on the run from the authorities in Northern Ireland. This issue must be revisited.

ENDOFQUOTE

NOTE today 10/09/17
    Do you think that Justice Minister Flanagan should be asked to withdraw his comments or else resign? Do you think a man like that has any right to condemn George Hook?
    Last edited by Kilbarry1; 10th September 2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    But he's not advising her how it be careful right, he's blaming her, and your comparison is with something which is itself a crime.
    So your analogy doesn't work.

Mine does, or at least you haven't shown why it didn't, you just jumped in with a different one which I've just broken down for you.

So if mine is wrong, you need to actually explain why, instead of inventing random alternative scenarios.
    What's wrong with pointing out to the passenger that she took a stupid risk in accepting the lift, that she is to blame for putting herself in the way of harm? It doesn't mean that she is in anyway responsible for the drunk driving offense.

Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Dotty old man gives his views on sex - Pie applauds his wisdom.

Its like the Trump campaign all over again.
    Thems bangs on the rugby pitch, got our poor Georgie all scrambled up from his original (very advanced for the 50s) Metro sexual modern man setting....

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    What's wrong with pointing out to the passenger that she took a stupid risk in accepting the lift, that she is to blame for putting herself in the way of harm? It doesn't mean that she is in anyway responsible for the drunk driving offense.
    Hook said it was "the real issue here" - is that really what you'd say to someone who was injured in a car with a drunk driver?
    That the real issue was that they got in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    Its called "free speech", that thing we love on Pie. Some people used their right to free speech to condemn Hooks comments. He didnt lose his job. He just had to deal with some feedback.

Suck it up.
    I don't mind that in fact i specifically stated people should rebut him and acknowledged there was very clear and justifiable grounds on which to do so. I am referring to those that want to do more then that. On FB i can see petition being set up by people calling for his dismissal and people talking about emailing and pressuring sponsors. Those were the people I was criticising not those simple criticising him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS) View Post
    Thems bangs on the rugby pitch, got our poor Georgie all scrambled up from his original (very advanced for the 50s) Metro sexual modern man setting....
    Bangs on the rugby pitch....??? What was the little tart doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Car View Post
    I don't mind that in fact i specifically stated people should rebut him and acknowledged there was very clear and justifiable grounds on which to do so. I am referring to those that want to do more then that. On FB i can see petition being set up by people calling for his dismissal and people talking about emailing and pressuring sponsors. Those were the people I was criticising not those simple criticising him.
    They are exercising their right to free speech. You can ignore them. So can Hook. Not difficult, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    Hook said it was "the real issue here" - is that really what you'd say to someone who was injured in a car with a drunk driver?
    That the real issue was that they got in the car?
    Can I see the exact context of that phrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Can I see the exact context of that phrase?
    I'm sure you can, if you're interested. It's available on listen again or whatever the Newstalk equivalent is.

Let us not forget, it is George who is the real victim here ...

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment