Register to Comment
Page 3 of 468 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree3352Likes

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    George Hook is just your traditional type of guy who doesnt do pc.
    It's not even that. He's from an era when PC wasn't a thing.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    Well I certainly had. And more than just a conversation.

Diagrams?

Sorry about being persistent. But there is some problem with p.ie. I think

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Hook's views are deplorable and from another time but that's what you get when you stick a man from another time on the air. This has been well known for years so shouldn't be coming as a shock to anyone.
    No they are not deplorable. He is not blaming any woman for being attacked by some scumbag. He is merely suggesting women should protect themselves more and he is right. Why can't you put some of your energy into understanding the point he made rather than being offended?

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    It seems that George Hook made some comments on air, which have resulted in him being accused of blaming a rape victim.

It seems that he said that the person who raped her is a scumbag , but he also discussed "responsibility of women".

Fellow Newstalker, Chris Donoghue, has tweeted that "someone needs to go to town on hook. It's disgusting."

Donoghue recently got removed from his radio show and replaced by Ivan Yates, and now has a different role at Newstalk.

Who is right? Is either?

'It's disgusting' - Newstalk's Chris Donoghue slams George Hook over 'outrageous and offensive' rape remarks - Independent.ie
    Lets get this out of the way first.
    In general Hook is a bit of a loon & Donoghue is a complete snowflake.

If you take what hook had to say as two separate & different points, there's no real problem.

Rapist gets hammered for raping regardless of circumstance. On the money.

Girls/women do have a responsibility not to put themselves in danger. on the money.

If I walk down a quiet dodgy part of town and end up getting a wallop, I do have to take some responsibility for knowingly taking that risk.

It's only by putting both points together in the one story where he gets it completely wrong in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    If I walk down a quiet dodgy part of town and end up getting a wallop, I do have to take some responsibility for knowingly taking that risk.
    Your example makes the opposite point to what you intend.

Of course you should not share the blame because an assault against you happened in a dodgy part of town. Though the cops may have to take some blame (at an entirely different level, and certainly not to reduce any blame on the culprits).

Quote Originally Posted by tonic View Post
    Lets get this out of the way first.
    In general Hook is a bit of a loon & Donoghue is a complete snowflake.

If you take what hook had to say as two separate & different points, there's no real problem.

Rapist gets hammered for raping regardless of circumstance. On the money.

Girls/women do have a responsibility not to put themselves in danger. on the money.

It's only by putting both points together in the one story where he gets it completely wrong in my opinion.

While he condemned the male for the illegal act, he challenged the girl for an 'immoral' or foolish act. Should he have linked the latter point to males, also? By not doing so, was he in fact - perhaps subconsciously - victim blaming, to a degree? It's possible to utterly condemn a rapist and put blame on a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzk View Post
    No they are not deplorable. He is not blaming any woman for being attacked by some scumbag. He is merely suggesting women should protect themselves more and he is right. Why can't you put some of your energy into understanding the point he made rather than being offended?
    The example on the basis of which he made his remark made it entirely inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Your example makes the opposite point to what you intend.

Of course you should not share the blame because an assault against you happened in a dodgy part of town. Though the cops may have to take some blame (at an entirely different level, and certainly not to reduce any blame on the culprits).
    So known risks should be ignored?

Poor George Hook is full of contradictions, for example he appears to have genuine empathy with the disposed of Haiti but has no empathy for any other disposed group. The man should be in a home for the bewildered.

Page 3 of 468 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment