Register to Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

The Guardian: Hunger in America

Interesting think piece in the Guardian today (sponsored by the Rockerfeller Foundation, because the Guardian is more of a charity case than a newspaper these days and will do anything for cash money) entitled 'Hunger in America: 'When Your Eldest child skips meals, it's no way to live' (yeah, they must have fired most of the sub-editors as well cos that headline is way too long).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...skipping-meals

Anyway, I am sure we all agree that people being poor is bad, and people being hungry is even worse. If a child is skipping meals, that is a cause for concern.

The problem (and obviously the Guardian doesn't see it as a problem, because there are 3 pictures of the main subject of the article) is that the woman featured in the article complaining about skipping meals is fat. Granted, she's probably not considered fat in the context of the obesity epidemic in the US, but she is significantly over-weight. This woman has never skipped a meal in her life.

The reason I have started a thread to moan about it is because I feel it has reached the point where in order to read Guardian articles, you usually have to disregard at least one enormous contradiction ('gay feminist writes in defence of Islam', that sort of thing). They usually are not helpful enough to give such a clear illustration of the fact that the text is utter bullsh!t. Help! I fear the transparent idiocy of the Guardian is turning me into a rightwinger!

Hungry Again
    Last edited by ireallyshouldknowbetter; 11th August 2017 at 05:03 PM.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Ireland's premier political discussion site strikes again.

At least it's not another Trump thread!

the Julie Bindel article today was headed something like why men are entitled and lazy, I believe the comments section was closed after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by ireallyshouldknowbetter View Post
    At least it's not another Trump thread!
    Totally concur they are basically clogging up the site by this stage, its always good to hear something different.

If there's hunger in that country it's certainly hidden very well.

Quote Originally Posted by tsarbomb View Post
    If there's hunger in that country it's certainly hidden very well.
    Not hidden.
    Just encased in rolls of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    the Julie Bindel article today was headed something like why men are entitled and lazy, I believe the comments section was closed after a while.
    Yeah, that tends to happen a fair bit, usually after they've deleted a load of comments first for 'not meeting community standards'. Or they just don't allow comments at all, if they think it might get out of hand. They don't allow comments on this article, presumably because other readers will have noticed that the "hungry" woman is very well fed indeed.

Incidentally, I am surprised the Guardian hasn't no-platformed Bindel yet. She's been no-platformed several times as a result of pressure from trans activists unhappy at Bindel's refusal to accept that men can become women just by saying they are.

America is the most obese nation on the planet, hard to believe anyone could be starving there.

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    America is the most obese nation on the planet, hard to believe anyone could be starving there.
    I'm sure there are hungry people in America, but this woman isn't one of them.

One of other old tropes wheeled out in the article unquestioningly is the idea that junk food is cheaper than healthy food. That's nonsense. It is cheaper to buy fresh ingredients and prepare your own food. Things like rice are available very cheaply especially if you buy in bulk. Ditto things like tomato sauce, etc. If you genuinely need to make your food budget stretch, you can't afford to be buying junk food.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment