Register to Comment
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree29Likes

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Hopefully karma will catch up with you and you die roaring.
    Yep, everyone who ever died in pain had it comin.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Fun fact: I've only ever encountered the phrase 'die roaring' on politics.ie, and that's the second poster I've seen wish a roaring death on another person.

The internet does funny things to people's brains.

Quote Originally Posted by popular1 View Post
    So you put the Catholic priests in the same bracket as the Muslim grooming gangs
    Is that what you are implying
    As far as we know Jesus of Nazareth did not marry a six year old. And he did not kill anybody. Nor did he rape women. Nor did he have slaves.

In fact neither did Buddha.

And I don't think Krishna/Rama did either.

There was only one significant religious who did. And he must not be critiqued. Even though, that religious leader is the very one who most requires critique.

Quote Originally Posted by ireallyshouldknowbetter View Post
    A few posters seem to have missed the point of the OP. I was not suggesting there is no such thing as poverty in America.

The point was purely about the Guardian article, and the incongruity of presenting an article about hunger in America and putting pictures of an overweight person as the example of a hungry person ...
    This is the woman that you're referring to.

I don't think you've seen much poverty yourself but I can remember seventy years back, when there was a massive amount of poverty about, and the diet of the poor was mostly made up of lard and potatoes; it's not just because they were cheap but also because of what was easily and simply cooked.

Most people were thin but it wasn't uncommon for some people, particularly women, to be obese; it was a combination of the poor diet, no healthcare, and their own particular metabolism.

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    As far as we know Jesus of Nazareth did not marry a six year old. And he did not kill anybody. Nor did he rape women. Nor did he have slaves.

In fact neither did Buddha.

And I don't think Krishna/Rama did either.

There was only one significant religious who did. And he must not be critiqued. Even though, that religious leader is the very one who most requires critique.
    none of them should have any relevance in a modern world , isolating one fairytale does not make it any more relevant than the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post

And here's another photo of her.

(I've found it difficult to create a link that works.)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Mr Grouser View Post
    This is the woman that you're referring to.

I don't think you've seen much poverty yourself but I can remember seventy years back, when there was a massive amount of poverty about, and the diet of the poor was mostly made up of lard and potatoes; it's not just because they were cheap but also because of what was easily and simply cooked.

Most people were thin but it wasn't uncommon for some people, particularly women, to be obese; it was a combination of the poor diet, no healthcare, and their own particular metabolism.
    Firstly, this is the internet. You are most likely 12 years old, so give it a rest with the condescending "back in my day, in famine ravaged Ireland" sh!te, I don't buy it for a second.

Secondly, you can get fat from lard and potatoes? Colour me shocked! The point is that this woman claims to be subsisting on rice and vegetables and skipping meals. Anybody with eyes in their head can see that this is not true. The point is that Guardianistas are expected to immediately disregard the evidence of their own eyes in order to take this article seriously.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment