Register to Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ireallyshouldknowbetter View Post
    I'm sure there are hungry people in America, but this woman isn't one of them.

One of other old tropes wheeled out in the article unquestioningly is the idea that junk food is cheaper than healthy food. That's nonsense. It is cheaper to buy fresh ingredients and prepare your own food. Things like rice are available very cheaply especially if you buy in bulk. Ditto things like tomato sauce, etc. If you genuinely need to make your food budget stretch, you can't afford to be buying junk food.

Americans can be malnourished (not easting the right foods), but unlikely to be hungry in a 3rd world sense of the word.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by razorblade View Post
    America is the most obese nation on the planet, hard to believe anyone could be starving there.
    I recall last year a study claiming that it is actually Mexicans who are the most obese.

Anyway totally agree with the OP. 'Progressives' have disappeared down a rabbit hole. Black is white, up is down, freedom is slavery...

I'm sure there are hungry people in America, but this woman isn't one of them.

One of other old tropes wheeled out in the article unquestioningly is the idea that junk food is cheaper than healthy food. That's nonsense. It is cheaper to buy fresh ingredients and prepare your own food. Things like rice are available very cheaply especially if you buy in bulk. Ditto things like tomato sauce, etc. If you genuinely need to make your food budget stretch, you can't afford to be buying junk food.
    A lot of the poorer neighborhoods do not have easy access to healthy food and at best you have a 7/11 type store available, with the local McDonalds on hand offering a $1 menu getting a couple of buses to haul home veggies is not the easier of options

The begging letters tell the story. Political correctness is going out of fashion. At least people are not willing to pay for it anymore.

The paper that in 2011 dismissed the idea that grooming was primarily a muslim problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LookWhoItIs View Post
    A lot of the poorer neighborhoods do not have easy access to healthy food and at best you have a 7/11 type store available, with the local McDonalds on hand offering a $1 menu getting a couple of buses to haul home veggies is not the easier of options
    While I'm sure that's a problem in some areas, it is not raised as an issue in the article by either the woman featured or the campaigners quoted. It's also worth pointing out that if there is a McDonalds rather than a health food store, that's because there's a demand for the former and none for the latter. I think we need to be careful about assuming people have no agency and only do/ eat the things that are most convenient to them.

The reason I have started a thread to moan about it is because I feel it has reached the point where in order to read Guardian articles, you usually have to disregard at least one enormous contradiction ('gay feminist writes in defence of Islam', that sort of thing).
    You couldn't make it up;

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-trump-le-pen

Quote Originally Posted by tsarbomb View Post
    If there's hunger in that country it's certainly hidden very well.
    Don't believe that. A few examples that you would NEVER see in the press here:

1. Local food bank. Thursday morning from 8 to 11 is food bank morning in my town. The queues are enormous. People are going hungry. You may think that the USA is a rich country. It is in certain respects, but those who cannot survive are starving. One job does not mean you can survive and there are many people in my locality who work two or three jobs to make ends meet.

2. LA. A simple drive in downtown LA or the drive into LA will show slums on overpasses that are reminiscent of Africa or Brazil. This just a few blocks away from multimillion dollar homes and glitz and glamour.

3. Chicago garages around Randolph Street. Walk in any street the homeless are everywhere. Randolph area/Grant Park garages are filled in winter with homeless trying to stay warm. Despite paying them to move to another State (in recent history)

4. Local Bank Teller. A friend at this stage who works in the bank, also works in Walmart. Has two kids and husband is disabled. She recently admitted that they are struggling. She sometimes goes without eating so the kids can eat. Two jobs, yet is struggling...

USA is a great country if you have money.... but dont be fooled, there is significant poverty in many areas.

Interesting think piece in the Guardian today (sponsored by the Rockerfeller Foundation, because the Guardian is more of a charity case than a newspaper these days and will do anything for cash money) entitled 'Hunger in America: 'When Your Eldest child skips meals, it's no way to live' (yeah, they must have fired most of the sub-editors as well cos that headline is way too long).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...skipping-meals

Anyway, I am sure we all agree that people being poor is bad, and people being hungry is even worse. If a child is skipping meals, that is a cause for concern.

The problem (and obviously the Guardian doesn't see it as a problem, because there are 3 pictures of the main subject of the article) is that the woman featured in the article complaining about skipping meals is fat. Granted, she's probably not considered fat in the context of the obesity epidemic in the US, but she is significantly over-weight. This woman has never skipped a meal in her life.

The reason I have started a thread to moan about it is because I feel it has reached the point where in order to read Guardian articles, you usually have to disregard at least one enormous contradiction ('gay feminist writes in defence of Islam', that sort of thing). They usually are not helpful enough to give such a clear illustration of the fact that the text is utter bullsh!t. Help! I fear the transparent idiocy of the Guardian is turning me into a rightwinger!

Hungry Again
    I actually carry a salter digital scales with body fat analyser round town with me. Ain't nobody gettin my sympathy unless they are in shape. Oh you want some change do ya? Up on the scales then...

food banks are the norm in "civilised" societies?

Quote Originally Posted by tsarbomb View Post
    If there's hunger in that country it's certainly hidden very well.
    Not really

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment