Register to Comment
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FunkyBoogaloo
  • 1 Post By former wesleyan
  • 2 Post By Karloff

Crimes Against Reality: David Cronin, Irish Activist Journalist. (Today in IT).

I just saw this article in the Irish Times - Winston Churchill sent the Black and Tans to Palestine.

Why on earth is the Irish Times accommodating such an obviously deeply bigoted anti-Israel fanatic?

What Cronin is blatantly trying to do in this article is to draw on existing Irish nationalist resentment, anger and hate towards the British and direct it against Israeli Jews.

This is clear incitement. Never mind that his historical references are so deeply suspect, and in particular, the current academic consensus on the Nabka has moved much further on.

Remember Benny Morris, who people like David Cronin used to be fond of quoting in their arguments, writing to the Irish Times in 2008 to advise that two other Davids - David Norris and David Landy "read some history books and become acquainted with the facts, not recycle shopworn Arab propaganda..." (Yours, etc, Prof BENNY MORRIS, Li-On, Israel.)

This is the same David Cronin who appears here:

He also is closely involved with the Electronic Intifada, one of the main internet publications dedicated to daily vilification of Israel and her people.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Incitement? Nonsense!

I read it, in a historical context. Nothing more.

Is anything he wrote in the article inaccurate?

...who people like David Cronin used to be fond of quoting in their arguments...
    People like me used to be fond of quoting the Bible and the Koran and the Irish Independent and... Therefore I conclude that I am wrong.

In response to both posts above, read Benny Morris' letter in 2008 to the IT that I linked.

FBL, those are a very selective set of facts presented by Cronin, and they are certainly not chosen to help adequately understand the whole reality, but to do something else. Read towards the end for example, to see what impression he is conveying about the Nabka. Then read Benny Morris' directly correcting the historical impression Cronin aims to transmit.

Luidin, I very obviously (to most intelligent people) meant that Irish people used to be very fond of quoting Morris, until he wrote that letter to the IT, calling them out and telling these same people to f%ck off and stop misquoting him trying to demonise Israel, essentially.

Cronin implies that the Palestine Police were almost exclusively British, which simply isn't true,

By 1928 the Force had 2,143 officers (all ranks): 321 Jews, 1293 Muslim Arabs and 471 Christian Arabs .

apart from the fact that relatively few Auxilliaries end even fewer Tans transferred to Palestine

As for " chose not to intervene " the British were completely outnumbered by the Combined Arab Armies and the Jewish forces.

For a decent history Ploughing Sand : the British in Palestine 1926 - 1948 well worth it.

He used to write for the Guardian on EU matters and the Middle East, great writer. I think he was driven off by the zionist cabal that have taken over that paper - led by Jonathon Freedland.

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs...lear-palestine

But The Lobby moves on, not a single space must be accorded any voice either neutral or pro Palestinian anywhere in the world and thence the op.

Ever wonder why Israel cannot take any criticism anywhere no matter how successfully they control the narrative as a whole? It's because they are weak on matters of truth. Big on megaphone politics but weak on truth and truth is like a tide before a dam - even the smallest holes in the wall can be ruinous to those who mean to hold it back.

Ah yes. Mr. "the Jews control the world" Karloff. And his buddies.

And of course you like to regularly proclaim this unabashedly, without even hiding behind the usual charade of "zionists" or "neocons", as most people do, considering the history of the twentieth century.

But certainly, there is a parallel, or a common thread, running through Karloff, Cronin, and indeed all the most vehement "anti-zionist" zealots I have ever come across on here.

It is this. - Cronin began his career in journalism in the 80's. - How good a journalist did he become? - Is it really all the fault of the "Zionist lobby" that he came to naught? - A conspiracy against him?

When an editor says to their journalist that "the topic is a sensitive issue", as Cronin goes on about in his piece above - does that really mean the editor is in the hands of the "Zionist lobby"? (as depicted in my avatar)

Or is it actually a "sensitive issue", and the editor is saying to Cronin, "don't think you can use this newspaper to promote anti-Israel extremism. By all means, present your views. But we have standards here, and we try to avoid polemics and activist agendas subverting our newspaper to their own priorities. We strive for a certain balance, etc. Do you think you can manage that etc?".

(Note the default stance of the Guardian on the Arab-Israeli conflict in any case. They're hardly "pro-Israel", ffs.).

Listen to the way Cronin presents 1948 and the Nabka. Then read Benny Morris' letter linked in my OP above. Then ask yourself, what is it in Cronin that he is unable to countenance any new academic understandings about 1948 that have come about since the "new historian" period whose narrative he is so terribly attached to.

Would you employ a fanatic? Someone whose intelligence is that inflexible and one-tracked and on-sided? - There is no need for conspiracy theory, Karloff and Co. - Rather what is going on with Cronin is the same old thing as highlighted in this old favourite quote of mine:

"The central belief of every moron is that he is the victim of a mysterious conspiracy against his common rights and true deserts. He ascribes all his failure to get on in the world, all of his congenital incapacity and damfoolishness, to the machinations of werewolves assembled in Wall Street, or some other such den of infamy."
    H.L. Mencken, "Varieties of Envy"

Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment