Register to Comment
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Political Irish - Security Alert!

Just a heads-up to anyone with an existing account on Political Irish, or anyone considering joining that forum.

It's been posted a number of times here before that there are several 'fake' accounts posting on PI, using the names and avatars of posters from this forum.

In late 2015, I created an account on PI with the same name and avatar as this one, which was banned after a couple of days with only a handful of posts made by me.

A few months later, it came to my attention that an account with the same name and avatar had been seen posting there again. It was brought to my attention again recently, that this account was still active and posting.

I didn't give it much thought at the time, as I assumed perhaps my account had been deleted and the name was back in circulation. I put it down to some sad, pathetic troll and didn't bother looking into it any further.

A couple of days ago I received an email at the address I used to register my (presumably banned) account on PI, notifying me about a thread on my supposed 'watch list' there.

Realising the email was still connected to the account, I went to the forum and tried doing a password reset and found that it worked. I was able to change the password, thus regaining control of the account and the ability to log in.

After I logged in I found that this was in fact the very same account that I was told had been banned, along with approximately 150 posts made from shortly (weeks) after I was banned, up until about a week ago!

Which raises the following interesting questions:

How did someone manage to take control of a (complex) password protected forum account?

Why was a banned account able to resume posting, unmolested by the moderators?

Is there a security flaw in the software (which I'm not familiar with) that PI is based on?

Could the owner/s or administrator/s be complicit in any of this?

Can anything about PI be trusted?

I also noticed that I couldn't delete my account on PI, but I strongly urge any members to review any personal information they may have posted there and anyone considering signing up to avoid it entirely, as your privacy may be compromised.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
    Just a heads-up to anyone with an existing account on Political Irish, or anyone considering joining that forum.

It's been posted a number of times here before that there are several 'fake' accounts posting on PI, using the names and avatars of posters from this forum.

In late 2015, I created an account on PI with the same name and avatar as this one, which was banned after a couple of days with only a handful of posts made by me.

A few months later, it came to my attention that an account with the same name and avatar had been seen posting there again. It was brought to my attention again recently, that this account was still active and posting.

I didn't give it much thought at the time, as I assumed perhaps my account had been deleted and the name was back in circulation. I put it down to some sad, pathetic troll and didn't bother looking into it any further.

A couple of days ago I received an email at the address I used to register my (presumably banned) account on PI, notifying me about a thread on my supposed 'watch list' there.

Realising the email was still connected to the account, I went to the forum and tried doing a password reset and found that it worked. I was able to change the password, thus regaining control of the account and the ability to log in.

After I logged in I found that this was in fact the very same account that I was told had been banned, along with approximately 150 posts made from shortly (weeks) after I was banned, up until about a week ago!

Which raises the following interesting questions:

How did someone manage to take control of a (complex) password protected forum account?

Why was a banned account able to resume posting, unmolested by the moderators?

Is there a security flaw in the software (which I'm not familiar with) that PI is based on?

Could the owner/s or administrator/s be complicit in any of this?

Can anything about PI be trusted?

I also noticed that I couldn't delete my account on PI, but I strongly urge any members to review any personal information they may have posted there and anyone considering signing up to avoid it entirely, as your privacy may be compromised.
    The mods on "politicalirish" have full access to your account and can do anything with it they like. My posts are sometimes changed and a regular reader would not notice the change.
    I also suspect a manipulation of the "views" of some threads. There is especially one thread about the EU, which contains constant repetitions of the same photos, memes or texts. Nobody in his right mind would access such a thread on a regular basis.
    Some posters seem to have multiple sock accounts to support their own posts. It seems to be run by a gang who have access to each others accounts to keep up the posting when one or several ones of them are at work.
    There are a dozen or so fake accounts using p.ie. poster names. Discussing p.ie posters is a frequent thing and consists mainly of slandering those posters to vent some frustration.Lambasting p.ie in general is another frequent event.
    I share your view not to give any private infos at all. The place is not safe.

Get over your bitterness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post

Get over your bitterness.
    The "Sword of St. Catherine" alive and kicking....

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    Yes that is my screen name there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratio Et Fides View Post
    Yes that is my screen name there.
    At least you are honest about that.....

Twitter
    @

Funny how they never go for handles such as 'The Fluffy Bunny of Peace' isn't it? They have an unhealthy obsession with sharp weaponry, these peace loving xtians.

Cattlepest is another one with a sword fixation if you look at his avatar.

I registered there when it really looked like P.ie was going down the tubes due to Monty's indifference - same username as here. Lots of others did too.

I have not bothered with it since as P.ie seems to have got its act more together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Funny how they never go for handles such as 'The Fluffy Bunny of Peace' isn't it? They have an unhealthy obsession with sharp weaponry, these peace loving xtians.

Cattlepest is another one with a sword fixation if you look at his avatar.
    Christ said He came not to bring peace but the sword;

Quote Originally Posted by olli rehn View Post
    The poster behind the 'Ratio Et Fides' account has also been busily masturbating on various threads with another one of its alter egos 'Taidhg Gaelach', since it resumed posting here under that alias on the 12th of April 2017, having not posted since the 11th of December 2016.

Interestingly enough, by far the most prolific 'liker' and 'responder' to the ~150 bogus posts made under my hijacked account on PI was 'Tadgh Gaelach'.

Just so you know what you're dealing with here folks.

I did warn you, from the beginning.

PS - The time zone I found set on my recovered PI account was Irkutsk.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment