Register to Comment
Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Like Tree490Likes
    Twitter
    @

Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    The State does need to control its own broadcast infrastructure, but it also need to control the massive costs associated with it.

Yes. Problem is, every 12 year old can create "content" now, and while it's only 1/4 as good quality as RTE, it's 1/100,000 times cheaper.

Straight onto youtube, and a "collective" of viewers and advertisers say how much it's "worth".

Meantimes the "collective" unions at RTE are stuck in the 1960s.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I'm quite happy to pay the licence fee even though I almost never watch TV.

This is because some of the fee supports the arts, the orchestras, the choirs and Lyric fm etc. I think these are important things, very well done and I enjoy them.

The proposal to charge those without tvs is wrong imo - better to be honest and increase taxation rather than pretend it is not a tax.

Twitter
    @

RTE TV should get back to news and weather, and a few other simple, mawkish shows for the unlettered. Oh yeah, that's what they do now!

Radio end is OK

Fire 3/4 of the execs and do some horizontal management. It's not rocket science.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_organization

Drop 1 orchestra.

The dropped one can do its stuff on youtube, and earn money according to its skills.

In times past, most people couldn't get a BBC signal, so RTE TV had a purpose and one or two shows were very good - Gaybo and farming.

But now 250,000 households have Sky TV with 100 zillion channels, and it's a different market.

It's like CIE, we needed 2 buses a day, now every uber driver can get you there faster than you can say pony-and-trap.

I see RTE is axing its 24 hours news channel.

Can't say I watched it much , only the odd time for the Late Debate radio program which was simulcasted on TV via this news channel.

It is just not paying it's way.

https://www.independent.ie/business/...-36393796.html

I never watched it much, the best part was the photo gallery from what I seen. The rest was the news and weather on RTE1 on a loop and basically the old aertel service.

Will they ever axe the past it and bias Duffy and Finucane? Plenty of young Irish talent who don't have relatives in RTE or are a client of Duffy agent to replace them.

Probably make more money if they charged Vat on Sky, BT, Netflix subscriptions.

I never see Vat identified seperately.

Anyone know whether it is charged ?

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Probably make more money if they charged Vat on Sky, BT, Netflix subscriptions.

I never see Vat identified seperately.

Anyone know whether it is charged ?
    Don't know about VAT on Sky services but an oireachtas committee a month or so back suggested that RTE look into charging Sky and other cable networks for airing RTE on their platform, Sky's response was that they would not pay anything or even enter into discussions about paying anything and would pull the RTE stations from their platform if there was any charge.
    Last edited by Betson; 11th December 2017 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    Don't know about VAT on Sky services but an oireachtas committee a month or so back suggested that RTE look into changing Sky and other cable networks for airing RTE on their platform, Sky's response was that they would not pay anything or even enter into discussions about paying anything and would pull the RTE stations from their platform if there was any charge.
    How come RTE are on Sky but not on Free-to-air? Even though I pay the charge/tax I cannot get RTE using an aerial but would be able to get in on satellite. As I do not have Sky I find it unfair and worse than unfair if Sky are not paying anything.

Is there VAT on Netflix monthly subscription of € 10.99 ?

Quote Originally Posted by publicrealm View Post
    I'm quite happy to pay the licence fee even though I almost never watch TV.

This is because some of the fee supports the arts, the orchestras, the choirs and Lyric fm etc. I think these are important things, very well done and I enjoy them.

The proposal to charge those without tvs is wrong imo - better to be honest and increase taxation rather than pretend it is not a tax.
    Perhaps if RTE had a voluntary contributionechanism it might enable those who wish to give money to do so on their own terms.

And those who object can have their money for food, heating, books whatever else.

Page 52 of 53 FirstFirst ... 24250515253 LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment