Register to Comment
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

TheLiberal.ie sued for ‘plagiarism’

A story to watch. It seems that <irony> highly respected liberal news site </irony> TheLiberal.ie, run by Louth-based right-wing commentator Leo Sherlock, stands accused of 'freecycling' court reports produced by the CCC Nuacht agency.

As ever, the presumption of innocence holds, even in civil cases, so do not try to say anything that might get deleted 'for legal reasons'.

Reporters sue news outlet over
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

An article in The Dublin Inquirer last June noted the use of quotes from the mother of a boy who was rescued after falling into the River Lee in Cork in two articles on TheLiberal.ie.

Kelly O’Brien, a Cork Evening Echo reporter, has accused the website of using exact quotes from her interviews without credit. The journalist said that she did not get any response when she queried this and is considering her own legal action.
    Taken from Link in OP, nothing t do with this case specifically , but should such quotes from people such the mother in the case above be the property of the reporter/paper they are given to? I assume the mother was not paid for the interview. Thus once they are in the public domain they should be open to everyone to use.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    A story to watch. It seems that <irony> highly respected liberal news site </irony> TheLiberal.ie, run by Louth-based right-wing commentator Leo Sherlock, stands accused of 'freecycling' court reports produced by the CCC Nuacht agency.

As ever, the presumption of innocence holds, even in civil cases, so do not try to say anything that might get deleted 'for legal reasons'.

Reporters sue news outlet over

Could not happen to a nicer bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Betson View Post
    Taken from Link in OP, nothing t do with this case specifically , but should such quotes from people such the mother in the case above be the property of the reporter/paper they are given to? I assume the mother was not paid for the interview. Thus once they are in the public domain they should be open to everyone to use.
    Published interviews are almost always protected by copyright, and quoting the comments made during the course of an interview without permission can only be done up to the limits of fair use.

Hadn't heard of the site until this weekend. It's not on to just lift content like that without paying for it.

Theliberal.ie must be getting big enough to be seen as a problem by the other rags.

Quote Originally Posted by good dog View Post
    Theliberal.ie must be getting big enough to be seen as a problem by the other rags.
    Good little dog.

Quote Originally Posted by good dog View Post
    I doubt it. The story in question was printed in the papers. And it's a wire service taking the action.

I have seen tweets from journalists to the site asking where to send the bill for what that claimed was a straight lift with no credit given.

That's not to mention the fact that the liberal regularly distorts news, the "african riots" on Henry street, or the complete collapse of the Yes campaign in the third debate, to name but two examples.
    Last edited by Cellachán Chaisil; 9th January 2017 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    I doubt it. The story in question was printed in the papers. And it's a wire service taking the action.

I have seen tweets from journalists to the site asking where to send the bill for what that claimed was a straight lift with no credit given.
    It's an odd thing, isn't it? I'd expect Conservatives to be hot on property rights.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment