Register to Comment
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Conspiraloon stuff. If the allegations are true what other line could a union take? There are loads of right wing organs out there, independent and not so. They run themselves well and that is that.
    But not as 'right-wing' as TheLiberal.ie, apparently.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Cellachán Chaisil View Post
    That's not to mention the fact that the liberal regularly distorts news, the "african riots" on Henry street, or the complete collapse of the Yes campaign in the third debate, to name but two examples.
    Where did he indo get the distorted story on the 'African riots'?

Terrified shoppers attacked as 250 gang rivals battle in Facebook-staged street riot - Independent.ie

Quote Originally Posted by Skypeme View Post
    But not as 'right-wing' as TheLiberal.ie, apparently.
    Papers like alive are.... But if it is some vast conspiracy why make it easy?

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    It's an odd thing, isn't it? I'd expect Conservatives to be hot on property rights.
    Yea I would also expect that the three Conservatives in Ireland would be hot on property rights.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    Any short extract for the purpose of commenting on what was said. Simply reproducing bits of the interview without comment would not be covered.

Happens on almost every page on this site and no one seems to mind...
    I don't know/read that site but I get the impression this is more of a personal grudge against the owner perhaps because of his political views

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    I don't know/read that site but I get the impression this is more of a personal grudge against the owner perhaps because of his political views
    No self-respecting journalist would bother with this kip.

Quote Originally Posted by The_SR View Post
    Papers like alive are.... But if it is some vast conspiracy why make it easy?
    Living and breathing content.......

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
    Of course it is, among some elements of the media the site is considered to be part of an Alt-right racist conspiracy:

"Meanwhile, Séamus Dooley, the secretary of the Irish branch of the National Union of Journalists, has condemned some of the reporting on the St Stephen’s Day incidents as “extremely concerning”
    He said he felt that some of it “was driven by a particular political agenda.
    “It was provocative, as if designed to elicit racist responses, and at which it succeeded. ”

Don't know if he includes the Indo or the Mirror in the "particular political agenda" but he has Sherlock' site in his sights for now.

Watch this space indeed.
    Last edited by Skypeme; 9th January 2017 at 02:21 PM.

Yeah - I don't like the guy at all ... will be interesting to see how this progresses ...

cyp

Quote Originally Posted by Skypeme View Post
    I consider there is a thin line between a "short extract" (from an interview?) and "reproducing bits" in order to support a story. Perhaps the problem here is one of attribution. ie, simply means telling your readers where the information in your story comes from, as well as who is being quoted. Journalists regularly use information from sources, paraphrased or quoted directly.

I also consider that perhaps there is another reason for what appears to be a concerted effort to 'take down' TheLiberal.ie.

IT report states: "TheLiberal.ie, a website run by Leo Sherlock, a right-wing commentator based in Louth.....Mr Sherlock, who has appeared on RTE discussing his political views and support of Donald Trump......".

On both counts there are those who would see this as sufficient reason to pursue Sherlock by any means possible, including through the courts. The NUJ would obviously be in the front of the line to silence a right-wing independent non-MSM outlet.

The IT report points in that direction when they quote "Séamus Dooley, Irish secretary of the National Union of Journalists, who urged people not to read the site and accused it of stealing work."
    The NUJ does not like competition. Ever poor quality competition is something that is problrmstic for the NUJ, because the NUJ's standards are a joke.

Plagiarism is rife in the Irish media.

Even more widespread is deliberate refusal to investigate snd report on scandals.

Statsman is moved to critique a fringe website of no relevance to most people.

Presumably when the main media organs tell lies, statsman will be outraged....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment