Register to Comment
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree1121Likes

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Funny. I don't ever remember a username by the name Michael McDowell.
    FT?
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Meh. I've ranted about it at times but these days, wherever opinions are put forward on the internet, it tends to be a cesspool.

Politics dot ie is better than most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentalist Clientelist View Post
    Michael McDowell's article in today's Sunday Business Post discusses anonymous online content and in the middle of it he has a right go at this parish.

He says that Politics.ie started out well but has descended into a "fetid backwater".

The site has "degenerated into a worthless exchange of cynical backbiting and abuse by a small group of anonymous insider contributors whose bile is largely matched by their ignorance."

He goes on: "It has become so juvenile and ill-informed that it is generally painful to read. It is the online equivalent of old-fashioned graffiti on the walls of toilet cubicles."

The use of anonymous posts has led to this degeneration, he says.

I agree with everything he says. There was a time when I would go on this site daily and while there are still many fine posters on here, a lot of posters are (a) wind up merchants, (b) party lackeys, (c) thick or (d) drunk and sometimes all four.

I post here anonymously like most others. I think, though, that for a site to thrive, it may have to get rid of this whole anonymity lark and insist on posters' true identity. Then we would have proper, more reasoned debate. The problem of course is that by going down this route, the site would open itself up to defamation actions as being the facilitator of defamatory publications against named individuals.
    Speaking purely from ignorance and having used up four spray paint cans on the walls of the town jacks I agree with every word of McD. On second thoughts that is a juvenile badly considered opinion so after long mature reflection I believe now that McD is just scratching around to come up with some some new angle of attack on a soft target to try to impress a few die hard followers that he has'nt gone away. Could he be in the process of a comeback to the privileged world of Dail Eireann I wonder. Jeezus thats all the country needs !

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    He's entitled to his opinion.

And there are plenty of abusive nasty posters.

Being self absorbed like most politicians, I would imagine he is responding to posters opinions of him rather than the actual site itself. Its hard for most people, pie or not, to stomach his strident anti-nationalist views and other reactionary opinions

Bertie Ahern , Mary Mitchell O'Connor and now the Mad Padre of Ranelagh denounce p.ie

The Mad Padre is butt hurt due to
    (1) Mikhail Khodorkovsky, Russian dissident (?) wants Ireland to give him back 100m - are we resourced well enough to decide ?
    (2) MMOC is still under PD control
    (3) Enda is under joint PD and Fionuala control

Who is Control for the Mad Padre of Ranelagh ?

cyp

I'm kind of flattered he still reads P.ie

I thought most of the politicians gave up on this place years ago.

Twitter
    @

A bit of culture to cheer Mr Mac up!

So, once upon a time p.ie was relevant but now it's mostly just full of toxic rubbish...

Remind you of anyone?

Weirdly enough, in my experience, "old-fashioned graffiti on the walls of toilet cubicles" involves the assertion that, for example, "0869876543 s__ks c__ks"

The resident establishment disinformation shills remind us on a semi regular basis that no one in or around politics pays any attention to whats posted on here......

Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 12345 13 53 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment