Register to Comment
Page 2 of 428 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Like Tree2904Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    That's another feature of the show - Joe on €300k is part of the problem, not the solution. I had to laugh/cry at his excoriation of "greedy landlords" when talking to lady trying to find accommodation.
    yes spot on! I wonder how many of his colleagues and Political masters are these same "greedy landlords"??
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

I had the misfortune of two work-related "road trips" over past two weeks and subconsciously got listening to Joe Duffy's show for probably the first time ever over the two days. I had heard many references to the show before, but had never really tuned in.

Now that I have a have to ask - what possible value dies the show have and/or why does it appeal to people.

Sweet mother of god, it was awful - just whiny victim types trying to out do themselves with tales of woe - college student can't find accommodation, life assurance policies that have become worthless, etc....now these are real issues, but the PURPOSE of the show seemed to be to get people to vent on air and make them, feel like they've achieved something as opposed to getting any clear point across about who is responsible and what could be done.

Is the purpose of the show to provide the audience with examples of people who are worse off then them so the can feel more content with their own life, is it to give a false sense that people care/are interested/will do something, is it a conduit to Dail Eireann to make sure the relevant powers that be swing into action and right wrongs?

I really was left with an uncomfortable sense of (a) having overheard someone's private business in a pub/restaurant and (b) the futility of the show in really trying to help.

Does anyone understand the appeal/value of Joe Duffy?
    Only one station available in the car, eh?

I helps Pravda/RTE maintain the pretence of being accountable to the people. It is a pressure release valve, for people who have a grievance.

The presenter is a Montrose Millionaire..... "so, how are you coping with this recession".

Fiver Friday - spend a fiver in your local community - from a quango that puts people in jail if people don't pay a levy for the upkeep of the Largesse in Montrose.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos the black View Post
    Only one station available in the car, eh?
    Only one station I'm made to pay for....I would have expected more from a publicly funded supposedly public interest radio station.

I had the misfortune of two work-related "road trips" over past two weeks and subconsciously got listening to Joe Duffy's show for probably the first time ever over the two days. I had heard many references to the show before, but had never really tuned in.

Now that I have a have to ask - what possible value dies the show have and/or why does it appeal to people.

Sweet mother of god, it was awful - just whiny victim types trying to out do themselves with tales of woe - college student can't find accommodation, life assurance policies that have become worthless, etc....now these are real issues, but the PURPOSE of the show seemed to be to get people to vent on air and make them, feel like they've achieved something as opposed to getting any clear point across about who is responsible and what could be done.

Is the purpose of the show to provide the audience with examples of people who are worse off then them so the can feel more content with their own life, is it to give a false sense that people care/are interested/will do something, is it a conduit to Dail Eireann to make sure the relevant powers that be swing into action and right wrongs?

I really was left with an uncomfortable sense of (a) having overheard someone's private business in a pub/restaurant and (b) the futility of the show in really trying to help.

Does anyone understand the appeal/value of Joe Duffy?
    Presumably it serves the same purpose/has the same appeal as starting a whiny thread on an anonymous internet forum

It's a sounding board for busybodies and coffin-dodgers. It's the equivalent of the confession box, except "Jeeow" is de High Priest of RTE.

If the average caller is an indicator of the calibre of who they let on the air, can you imagine the ones they reject?

Actually feck that. I imagine they reject the coherent ones that make sense.
    Last edited by Goa Tse; 25th August 2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpc View Post
    Not a big fan of McSavage, but nearly snotted myself listening to that - miserappalling....what a great word to describe the show.

Has he ever done a show on people sent to prison for non payment of the licence fee? Thought not.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    Presumably it serves the same purpose/has the same appeal as starting a whiny thread on an anonymous internet forum
    Again - at least we're not paying license fees to pay someone €300k to host p.ie, and p.ie not using up prime time national interest, license funded airtime.

Page 2 of 428 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment