Register to Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give the gig to Tubridy.
    The man has a brain. He makes guests comfortable and brings them out. He can be serious and feel-good all at once.
    His saturday show is pure fluff, it's not what he does best at all.
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

Quote Originally Posted by QuizMaster
    Give the gig to Tubridy.
    The man has a brain. He makes guests comfortable and brings them out. He can be serious and feel-good all at once.
    His saturday show is pure fluff, it's not what he does best at all.

How's it going Ryan!! Haven't seen you in Finnegan's in a while. I hope all's well.

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether
    Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Is Pat Kenny still gonna be the host. I still think it has a role - 11% of people in a recent poll said they were influenced to vote FF by Eoghan Harris's intervention after all - that could only be the case if ppl actually watched it.
    Which says an awful lot about the intellect of LLS viewers.
    Why is there so many people in this country who have to be told what their opinion is.
    And that Tubridy garbage is just as bad.
    11% of FF voters are Eoghan Harris followers?
    Thats hilarious. The pack of West-Brits.

well to be fair harris at one time or another has held just about any political view point you would care to name in his role as a political harlot....

hehas held views diametrically opposed to the views he currently holds.

its disturbing to think that the endorsement of an absolute political charlatan like this could count for anything in modern ireland.

PK was a chemist I think, before he got involved in broadcasting, and brings a tedious, methodology to the programme. And the fora he hosts are awful - as if Ian O'Doherty is a qualified, paid up Irish Everyman. His attempts to create provocative - yet staged - discussion, are appalling.

Tubridy, on the other hand, is a man of letters and is interested in personality and what makes people tick. I enjoy his radio discussions on history and books but the topical discussions with two 'guests' are a bit lame. He's a good interviewer and lacks Pat's irritating condescension. His Saturday night programme is what it is and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

But I've given up watching the Late Late as it tries to figure out what, exactly it is.

And the State of Us sketch of P Kenny and Enda was spot on, even if it wasn't highbrow political analysis.

the problem with recent late late is that there too many segments, which totally undermines the serious last bit, get rid of the second rate soap star segment they always have the show ill improve...

the late late show is quite simply an advertisement, where "guests" pay for a slot to plug whatever garbage it is they happen to be selling;

whthere that be a book, a song, a video or even a political viewpoint.

the show had some integrity under byrne but under kenny it is just lightweight advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by EvotingMachine0197
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureTaoiseach
    Is Pat Kenny still gonna be the host. I still think it has a role - 11% of people in a recent poll said they were influenced to vote FF by Eoghan Harris's intervention after all - that could only be the case if ppl actually watched it.
    Which says an awful lot about the intellect of LLS viewers.
    Oh yes, and you are sooo clever, aren't you.

On his radio show, when Tubridy has a writer on flogging their new book, he has read the book from cover to cover. Every time.

Who else does that?

PK?

Quote Originally Posted by 32
    Quote Originally Posted by St Disibod
    Well you need to divorce the idea of the Late Late Show show from the presenter. Gay Byrne's Late Late was very different to Kenny's.

Undoubtedly Kenny if one of Ireland's best broadcasters on serious matters. Whether it's a complex issue- such as teasing out a problem in a state policy- or one with emotional gravity- such as the interview with Brian Murphy's (victim of the Annabels attack) parents- Kenny comes out trumps. He resists the superficial grilling of his guests by taking the opposite stance as he interviews the two sides in a debate, and instead tries to establish where there is agreement and where there is not- so that the audience might actually learn something and come away a bit better informed. That is quite rare in RTÉ's broadcasting, and so it deserves praise when it presents itself. Kenny's radio show is easily one of the best current affairs programmes that RTÉ broadcasts because it is rich in this style of programming.

However, on the entertainment front it is like watching someone on a moped with flat tyres driving into a brick wall- it's just too tragic to even laugh at it. His interview with Eddie Izzard was a case in point. Izzard is someone you just have to let talk to get an excellent ten minutes of television. Instead we got a conversation that went something like this:

PK: So you wear women's clothes?

EI: Yes.

PK: But you're not gay.

EI: That's right, I'm not.

PK: Hmmm, but you wear women's clothes...

And so forth for a whole interview. It is obvious that the audience is regularly being forced to enjoy themselves while the light or entertainment guests are frequently drunk. It's a pity, because as I say his serious stuff is top notch. He should just give up on trying to entertain people- he either comes across as a plank or like that father in the ghost-train add for girls' deoderant: "hey kids, dig my crazy dancing!"

But the pros and cons to one side, it's all far better than Tubridy Tonight.

5 lines of dialogue out of 40 odd years of TV?

I'd say you were a wizz in college.
    Firstly, I specifically set out to divide the Late Late Show of Gay Byrne from Pat Kenny's. So we're talking about less than fourty-odd years.

Secondly, I specifically set out to carve up the Late Late Show as it is hosted by Kenny between serious content, which I argued he does excellently, and light entertainment, which I think he is fairly dreadful at.

And thirdly, the dialogue was intended as a summary of the interview he did with Eddie Izzard. Did you see it? I would say my summary was fair: it was a terrible interview that never really moved beyond him being a straight transvestite.

I thought my post was one of the least glib, and most supportive of Kenny, on this thread. In fact, I'm not at all sure why you have singled me out at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate P
    PK was a chemist I think, before he got involved in broadcasting
    He was a chemical enginner and lectured in one of the ITs in Dublin as far as I know.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment