Register to Comment
Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

RTÉ's bizarre news prioritization

Once again I am completely dumbfounded by how RTÉ prioritizes its news coverage. This morning's #1 radio news item and current #1 story on the RTÉ website, is about an Irish immigrant who has gone missing in Australia. Who apart from this woman's family is actually concerned with this story? How is this even merit being covered on Irish news outlet, let alone being the most important story?

Surely there are actual news stories that merit being given higher coverage. This being an obvious example;
    David Begg says public sector allowances could be removed if shown to be 'unmerited' - RT News
    Sign in or Register Now to reply

You are mistaking the world of P.ie with the real world again.

And what would you rather have them coverage? An Irish girl going missing in Australia is of public interest I would have thought.

I do admit though they have a strange attitude. We had the death of a young Schoolgirl in Ireland last week, likely through bullying and yet no mention of it on RTE. It even got removed by P.ie.

In contrast when an Irish girl commited suicide in America because she was bullied it became headline news.

But I dont have any issue with the current story about the girl in Australia.

And they covered some parochial code of football over the Ravens / Patriots match too, KeithM.

But if they didnt make these story choices what would have to rant about on pie? Wouldnt there be a hole in your life?

Last time I posted about News prioritisation some clown called sync sent the thread into Zoo!

Some deaths are more newsworthy than others it seems.

A huge amount of resources were deveted to Michaela Mcareavey's murder while other Stories are hardly mentioned.

Murders of females attract more attention.

Irish engineer shot dead during ambush in Nigeria - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 25, 2012

They gave over 10 minutes of the Sunday 6 o'clock news to a bunch of shrieking hayseeds screaming about Donegal. Whatever about giving us the result, in the Sports section, and comment from experts what purpose is served by interviewing a bunch of hillbillies whose sole contribution seems to be "go wan Donegal"

Quote Originally Posted by fgrep View Post
    Last time I posted about News prioritisation some clown called sync sent the thread into Zoo!
    He's not a clown. He's an interpretive dancer......

....With a flower that squirts water.

Quote Originally Posted by Knapaghbeg View Post
    Some deaths are more newsworthy than others it seems.

A huge amount of resources were deveted to Michaela Mcareavey's murder while other Stories are hardly mentioned.

Murders of females attract more attention.

Irish engineer shot dead during ambush in Nigeria - The Irish Times - Sat, Aug 25, 2012
    And very attractive ones in particular.

I was surprised by the speed and quantity of reporting of this poor woman's case (how long would it take to report if it was a woman in Dublin missing?). That said I do think it is an important story and I'm glad it was reported even if shouldn't be so high up.
    My particular bug bear is weather in the USA - any hurricane is given top priority but similar events elsewhere are ignored.
    As for sports news I can just about understand why golf is reported but I don't get why its so slathering - at times I get embarrassed on the reporters behalf but they don't as they clearly think the world revolves around golf. (Whereas clearly we all know it revolves around politics ;-))

Page 1 of 22 123 11 ... LastLast
Sign in to CommentRegister to Comment